Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stem angles, lengths, and other stuff for comfort

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 11:26 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hubby has an old Schwinn steel bike that he loves but it is heavy. He's planning to get a new bike that's lighter and smooths out the road for the sake of his shoulders (one total replacement, one probably replaced in a few years). He's ridden the Roubaix and the Synapse.

On whichever bike he chooses, he wants to sit at the same angle as he does on his Schwinn. On that bike, he looks comfortable and relaxed, and that's the way he likes it. He knows what he likes, and he doesn't want to force his older body into a new position.

At the bike shops, they tell him that he'll relax after a few hundred miles and get used to a longer reach (or lower angle). He doesn't want to! He wants a more upright position -- period. Our LBS has a fitter who is working with us and we're hoping he'll agree to his wishes.

We want lighter bikes so we can do group rides, join a club, and do much longer rides with greater ease. Can't he have both -- the lightweight bump-smoothing, hill-climbing sprinter AND his more upright position?

To what extent can reasonable adjustments be made on a CF stem without compromising the bike's handling and safety? How far up and back can they reasonably and safely get him? He doesn't care about going fast, and he doesn't care how he looks (see 'vanity' thread) -- he wants to ride long... smoothly, safely and comfortably.

We know there are other options -- flat-bar road bikes with bar ends, custom build, recumbent (please don't go there...) but we want to explore all our options with these bikes before we look at others.
Old 03-14-08, 01:57 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Here are 2 of the most well known adjustable stems.

One is the Ritchey adjustable and the other is the Look Ergostem. They get a little pricey but they will give you an idea what can be done with a stem. In many cases people use them when they haven't decided what stem is the proper fit and later they replace them with a lighter conventional stem that fits the dimensions determined with the adjustable.

The Ritchey is much less expensive, but the Look allows equivalent changes in length as well as angle.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 03-30-08 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 07:42 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Adjustable stems are OK if you are trying to figure out where you want the bars located. They allow you to try different things. But once you know what you want, it is cleaner to get a stem with the correct length and rise to give you the desired location. Stems come in a wide variety of lengths and angles. Just look at where the bars are located now and where you want them to be. Figure out what stem length and angle it will take to get you there. Buy it and install it. If the LBS won't help with that, you are at the wrong LBS.
Old 03-14-08, 07:48 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Adjustable stems are OK if you are trying to figure out where you want the bars located. They allow you to try different things. But once you know what you want, it is cleaner to get a stem with the correct length and rise to give you the desired location. Stems come in a wide variety of lengths and angles. Just look at where the bars are located now and where you want them to be. Figure out what stem length and angle it will take to get you there. Buy it and install it. If the LBS won't help with that, you are at the wrong LBS.
I have to agree with the last part. I find the you'll get used to it after a while idea sort of unappealing. (especially in the 50+ forum)
Old 03-14-08, 08:45 AM

Bikes: Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, (4) Falcon bicycles, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
These aftermarket adjustable stems can be seen in the hundreds on any big tour. In nearly every case they are set as high as they can go because the bike originally had the bars too darn low. And frequently it's because the entire bike's geometry is set up to have the handlebars far below the seat. It's difficult to make things right when you start out from there.

There are lightweight touring bikes out there where the bars start out level with the seat but your bike shop will have to look around for them. Unfortunately the bike manufacturers have specialized bike design to such an extent your choices are either a full on race bike or a bike for pedaling over to the MCL cafeteria on. Bikes for the long distance cyclotourist just aren't in production like they were in the 50's through the 80's.

Explain to the clerk that you are not racing competitively. Some clerks are unaware that there is any other type of riding. Tell him you want a bike designed to have the handlebars level with the seat before any crazy stems are added to it. Explain to him that if you need to get more aerodynamic you'll switch your hands to the bottom part of the bars, a feature he may not be aware of.
Old 03-14-08, 09:05 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions.

The thing is, the bars already are level with the seat on the bikes we've borrowed so far. He wants them closer to him. On his Schwinn, the bars are also level with the seat, but the TT is much shorter than on these bikes, and that's what he wants to achieve on his new bike - the same sitting angle and reach from the seat to his hands.

I wonder if he is a prime candidate for a custom bike, but can good ones be had for under..... say.... $3000?
Old 03-14-08, 09:07 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,453 Posts
Hey BD...what is the name of that famous bike company that has the handlebars even with the seat. You have posted on it but I cannot remember the name. They seem like a better solution for Yen's husband.
Old 03-14-08, 09:25 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hermes: Is it Rivendell?

There's something about the stop-and-smell-the-roses position on the hybrid that I like very much. Among the technical aspects I've observed while riding these borrowed road bikes, I've also noticed that I felt more intense and serious while concentrating on the road. When we return home, I feel like I'm getting off a roller-coaster ride, as opposed to just a leisurely fun day out. Now, I love riding on roller-coasters so that's not a bad thing, but I also like the little kiddie cars that go slow and allow you to smile for pictures and wave to the folks on the side. I like both experiences, so if I could combine them into one single road bike, that would be my goal.
Old 03-14-08, 09:50 AM
Boomer

Possibly a flatbar road bike with all the performance features of the wheels and tires and weight with a more relaxed upright position. I thought you were getting clost to this with the road bike with bullhorn bars idea.
Old 03-14-08, 09:51 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Yen
Hermes: Is it Rivendell?

There's something about the stop-and-smell-the-roses position on the hybrid that I like very much. Among the technical aspects I've observed while riding these borrowed road bikes, I've also noticed that I felt more intense and serious while concentrating on the road. When we return home, I feel like I'm getting off a roller-coaster ride, as opposed to just a leisurely fun day out. Now, I love riding on roller-coasters so that's not a bad thing, but I also like the little kiddie cars that go slow and allow you to smile for pictures and wave to the folks on the side. I like both experiences, so if I could combine them into one single road bike, that would be my goal.
Yes. Rivendell. Thanks.
Old 03-14-08, 09:54 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

He could build up a Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen for around that price which would probably work well for him. It wouldnt be as light as the plastic wonders, though. But he might really like the smooth ride of a quality steel frame and fork. It should be a lot nicer than his heavy old Schwinn.

If the problem is reach and not height, I would be looking for bikes with shorter top tubes. You could go with a smaller size, but that might lead to a problem with a lower head tube.
Old 03-14-08, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 1,105 Posts
Hi,
try the Sequoia just for the heck of it.

I have my bars even with the saddle, and it
took an adjustable stem to get there.

You want old fashioned sport geometry. My 1970 Schwinn Varsity had the bars even with the saddle. One way to get that is to call Schwinn. He lost the family name but is still in the bike biz. But that would be an expensive choice.
https://www.gunnarbikes.com/
Old 03-14-08, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Coda has the Ritchey adjustable stem. It was equipped that way OEM. It is handy, as I definitely fiddled with it when I first got the bike. Curiously enough, it's angled pretty well up, about like in the photo, maybe another degree or two. I lack sufficient motivation to even consider changing it to a rigid stem of the same dimensions, and have to wonder why I would even want to? Are there hidden benefits to a rigid stem that I may have missed?
Old 03-14-08, 10:22 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Terrierman
My Coda has the Ritchey adjustable stem. It was equipped that way OEM. It is handy, as I definitely fiddled with it when I first got the bike. Curiously enough, it's angled pretty well up, about like in the photo, maybe another degree or two. I lack sufficient motivation to even consider changing it to a rigid stem of the same dimensions, and have to wonder why I would even want to? Are there hidden benefits to a rigid stem that I may have missed?
Lower weight and potential failure of adjustment mechanism in the adjustable stem.
Old 03-14-08, 10:26 AM

Bikes: Rodriguez Toucan tandem, Rodriguez Rainer Lite sport/touring

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
The thing is, the bars already are level with the seat on the bikes we've borrowed so far. He wants them closer to him. On his Schwinn, the bars are also level with the seat, but the TT is much shorter than on these bikes, and that's what he wants to achieve on his new bike - the same sitting angle and reach from the seat to his hands.

I wonder if he is a prime candidate for a custom bike, but can good ones be had for under..... say.... $3000?
It seems that if he needs a shorter top tube, he is a candidate for a custom bike. A custom bike under $3000 will probably be steel, not carbon or titanium, not that there's anything wrong with that. I had my bike built by R+E in Seattle (www.rodcycle.com) and they do have bikes for under $3000. If none of their 15 stock sizes fit, they charge $200 extra for custom. Unfortunately, once you go down the hand-built bike route it's too easy to "add this and add that" and end up with a $4000 bike.
Old 03-14-08, 10:40 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Terrierman
I lack sufficient motivation to even consider changing it to a rigid stem of the same dimensions, and have to wonder why I would even want to? Are there hidden benefits to a rigid stem that I may have missed?
It would be slightly lighter. It would be stiffer. It would (imho) look better.

These things may or may not matter to you. It's not the kind of thing that would transform your riding experience or anything like that. All else being equal, I would probably choose a lighter, stiffer, better looking stem. But I might not be in a big hurry to replace the adjustable if it worked well for me.

I have a couple of adjustable stems in different steerer sizes that I use on bikes I'm building up to determine what size I need. Eventually I get the right stem for the project and return the adjustable to storage.
Old 03-14-08, 10:50 AM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Thank you for your suggestions.

A women's specific frame may be the answer. They have shorter top tubes. Have him try the Ruby instead of the Roubaix.
Old 03-14-08, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I bought my Litespeed the steerer tube had been cut off quite short by the original owner. I switched the stem to one with a steep angle to get the bars up but did not like that it also brought them back. Last week I put a Delta stem raiser on it and put the original stem back on. I was worried about how it would look, but once I put it on it has been great. My bars are much more comfortable than before. I can not tell any difference in the handleing and I don't think it really could change the steering. https://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=9m I think if you bought a new bike and did not cut the stem off, the 3" you could get with a stem raiser would do wonders. I would still recommend a bike that is made for the fit he wants, but if he was dead set on a CF smooth rider this might be an option.
Old 03-14-08, 11:03 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

At the bike shops, they tell him that he'll relax after a few hundred miles and get used to a longer reach (or lower angle). He doesn't want to! He wants a more upright position -- period. Our LBS has a fitter who is working with us and we're hoping he'll agree to his wishes.
I identify with your hubby's concerns, and felt the same way when I was riding my Trek 3900 mtb but thinking of maybe getting a road bike and drop bars. I didn't think I could handle the change in position and certainly didn't want to go hundreds of miles to find out if I could make the adjustment.

Then I got the Roubaix, and there was almost NO adjustment period. It took me a while to get used to the brifters, but in terms of my own comfort on the bike it was almost instant. Maybe one or two rides or so.

So I guess I'm saying there might be some truth in what the LBS guy says, and that it might not take as long. And I'm a guy who had terrible back problems years ago.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-14-08, 12:54 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen

Yen,

Here's an idea: Rodriguez. I don't own a Rodriguez, but they are great people. Read carefully what they say about blending comfort and performance (under the section marked, "Our philosophy.")

I've watched them fitting people and they are very meticulous -- they have a full wall of stems in every shape and angle, for example, and swap them out until they find the right one.

If you're not shopping somewhere w/that philosophy, go elsewhere.

They have a number of great models starting at around $2600, complete.

www.rodcycle.com

(edit - I just noticed someone else suggested the same thing.)

I believe that *lots* of people who buy custom don't really need it, but they give up in frustration because they can't find a LBS who will listen to their needs and be patient with them. Sending a customer our the door with an ill-fitting bike that the customer is supposed to "get used to" is a terrible business practice, in my view. The good news for me is this: there are lots of great used bikes around that have never really been ridden because their original owners never got through the break-in period!
Old 03-14-08, 01:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone actually used the Ergostem or the Ritchey adjustable? I've been thinking about getting one, but they are so pricey I'd hate to shell out the money if they didn't really help.

Also, how long should you ride before you conclude that your position just isn't going to work? My LBS keeps telling me to "give it some more time". Is 6-700 miles enough?
Old 03-14-08, 02:37 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Also, how long should you ride before you conclude that your position just isn't going to work? My LBS keeps telling me to "give it some more time". Is 6-700 miles enough?
I Know I keep on about it- But the OCR was the first road bike I bought. It was just to see if I liked road riding or not but that bike taught me a lot. First thing was that I do not like riding with my head between my knees. The back would not take it- and the neck and the shoulders. Analysed it a bit and I got a stem with a steep rise to bring the bars level with the saddle. On the comfort stakes- This was all I needed. Attachments are of the Bike as new from the shop- up against the bike shed- And the one up against the garage is how it is with the high rise stem.

But all that has changed- Different bike- Different Geometry and Boreas has the bars 3" below the saddle and that is comfortable and efficient.

While I was sorting the Bars on the OCR- My LBS suggested borrowing an adjustable stem to find out where I want the bars. Didn't try it- But that is what I would use an adjustable stem for. To find out where I want the bars to be- And then get a rigid stem to those dimensions.

And I knew after a month that the stem had to be changed. That would have been about 2-300 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B3.jpg (54.0 KB, 23 views)
giant.JPG (71.0 KB, 22 views)
B2.jpg (51.0 KB, 22 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 03-14-08, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone actually used the Ergostem or the Ritchey adjustable? I've been thinking about getting one, but they are so pricey I'd hate to shell out the money if they didn't really help.
I have the Ritchey on my Coda. It works just fine for me. Cannot imagine it ever failing, the adjustable parts are splined and held in place with substantial fasteners. You have to completely disassemble it to change the angle. The aesthetics and potentially weight seem to be the only real differences in that one and one that is rigid.
Old 03-14-08, 03:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I Know I keep on about it- But the OCR was the first road bike I bought. It was just to see if I liked road riding or not but that bike taught me a lot. First thing was that I do not like riding with my head between my knees. The back would not take it- and the neck and the shoulders. Analysed it a bit and I got a stem with a steep rise to bring the bars level with the saddle. On the comfort stakes- This was all I needed. Attachments are of the Bike as new from the shop- up against the bike shed- And the one up against the garage is how it is with the high rise stem.

But all that has changed- Different bike- Different Geometry and Boreas has the bars 3" below the saddle and that is comfortable and efficient.

While I was sorting the Bars on the OCR- My LBS suggested borrowing an adjustable stem to find out where I want the bars. Didn't try it- But that is what I would use an adjustable stem for. To find out where I want the bars to be- And then get a rigid stem to those dimensions.

Edit- Sorry about the double posting but it will not delete and I am experiencing a few problems at present on the Computer.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 03-14-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-14-08, 03:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I have never ridden one there is always the option of a ........recumbent.

My shoulders need some work and I'm trying to find a 'Bent' to ride to see if it will help with my problems. My assumption is that there would be little, if any, pressure on the shoulders.

Good luck.

****Just re-read your post and saw the 'Don't go there' about Bents......Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.