Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you registered your bike?

My dad talked to me about registering our bikes. I vaguely recalled hearing about that years ago. I came across this link today and promptly bookmarked it.

Have you registered your bike?

http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None of my bikes are registered with anybody but, years ago, I had a bike stolen from me and actually returned.

The bike was stolen from out of my garage. At the time I was devistated because bicycling was my only real recreational outlet and I didn't have the financial resources to replace it. About a month later I saw a fellow polking around my neighbor's house so I asked him what he was up to. It turned out he was a detective investigating a bicycle that had been stolen by some juveniles. Since I had recorded the serial number and was able to tell him where to find it on the bike's left dropout, I got my bike back.

I consider that to be one of those "Hand of God" incidents - really. It's how I know for sure that God exists. There was no way at that point in my life that I would have been able to replace that bike so it would have been a life changing incident. There was another clear "Hand of god" incident during that period in which I acquired my first tandem but that might be a longer story than you want to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    None of my bikes are registered with anybody but, years ago, I had a bike stolen from me and actually returned.

The bike was stolen from out of my garage. At the time I was devistated because bicycling was my only real recreational outlet and I didn't have the financial resources to replace it. About a month later I saw a fellow polking around my neighbor's house so I asked him what he was up to. It turned out he was a detective investigating a bicycle that had been stolen by some juveniles. Since I had recorded the serial number and was able to tell him where to find it on the bike's left dropout, I got my bike back.

I consider that to be one of those "Hand of God" incidents - really. It's how I know for sure that God exists. There was no way at that point in my life that I would have been able to replace that bike so it would have been a life changing incident. There was another clear "Hand of god" incident during that period in which I acquired my first tandem but that might be a longer story than you want to read.
    Cool story!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my Giant OCR, it came with a card to register it. I did. Our local police department just finished campaign to register bikes with them, which I did (all 3 plus Mrs. Slim's). They actually had a guy show up at where all our bike club rides start for three Mondays in a row. Nice service.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last time I registered a bike was when I bought Los Angeles bicycle license stickers for my 1971 Nishiki and my wife's 1970 UO-8. The UO-8 has morphed into my commuter, but it still sports an expired LABL decal.

My bikes are pretty unusual, and I do keep track of their serial numbers (see signature), so I do not really see the point of registering them.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had not thought about this at all. I am going to write down the serial numbers on all of our bikes today. We live in a pretty low crime area, but you should be prepared. Thanks for the idea.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bike registration is just the first step to denying us our Constitutional and God-given right to keep and ride bikes.

Remember: when bikes are outlawed, only outlaws will have bikes!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bike is a registered Democrat.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    My bike is a registered Democrat.
    Both of mine are registered independents...they don't veer to the right or the left!
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Peddlin' Around Detroit Motorad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Legend, Saluki, Trek 730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    My bikes are pretty unusual, and I do keep track of their serial numbers (see signature), so I do not really see the point of registering them.
    Never thought about ID'ing the bikes! These numbers must be small, because I never noticed them. Where is the serial number located, and how do you get the bike frame under a microfische viewer to read the serial number?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing registered, but each bike has a photo and serial number in my computer's data base. In addition my bikes have been captured in the walk through video tape of our home with all of our possessions (at the suggestion of our insurance agent). There are two copies of this tape. One is in a fire proof safe, the other kept in an undisclosed location outside of the home.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    Bike registration is just the first step to denying us our Constitutional and God-given right to keep and ride bikes.

Remember: when bikes are outlawed, only outlaws will have bikes!
    Huh?

Definitely record the serial number and take photos if nothing else, and keep your receipt. When my digital camera was stolen a few years ago, I didn't have the receipt (big mistake -- must be the ONLY receipt we've never kept). I managed to find an old photo of me holding the camera and provided that to the insurance co.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^

Just kidding, Yen!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I seem to remember doing some kind of online registration when I bought my Giant Cypress W, and within about 10 days had also been to the local fire station to pay the whopping 3 bucks for the 2-year license.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The local bike registration here in Salt Lake County is a joke. Used to be done at the fire stations, now at the sheriffs substation. Information goes into a filing cabinet, never to see the light of day. It is my understanding that there is no way to check to see if the serial numbers on a recovered bike match any registration. Salt Lake City has an ordinance requiring bicycle registration, but hardly anybody does it, and I've never heard of it being enforced.
    I registered five of my most valuable bikes with the National Bike Registry. Many of the local law enforcement agencies actually check recovered bikes against it. Twenty five bucks for five bikes, ten years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    I had not thought about this at all. I am going to write down the serial numbers on all of our bikes today. We live in a pretty low crime area, but you should be prepared. Thanks for the idea.
    What I have done is to take pictures of the bike, and go into photoshop, gang them together and then overlay the important information, make model serial number etc on top and save a digital copy and make a printed copy. If the bike is stolen, then the information can be spread easily.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many, if not most, bikes today do not have a serial number on the frame. So how do you register them?

Although this my come in handy when you see your stolen bike on scambay.