Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First of the year.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 03:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First of the year.

Wanted to visit several shops in Eastbourne so went down by bike. Only 10 miles there and 10 miles back but got to the shops- Took my bike inside the shops for my quick purchases and onto the next shop. Only one shop pointed out something cycle related and that was that I was wearing a helmet and dark Glasses and the CTV notice does ask for crash helmets to be removed. (Muggers and robbers in full face helmets cannot be identified later).

But that was not the object of this post. First time this year- I wore the fingerless gloves on a ride. It would appear that the air is warming up over here. No idea what the temp was- but no 25mph blast from the North or the East bringing in a chill factor to the body. No rain at all on the ride to freeze the hands on the faster downhill bits- and There was definitely a hint of spring about with the number of cyclists out on the road.

Didn't take the chance of stripping off a layer though- but in hindsight- I had put on the summer weight jersy under the windproof outer layer. So for those of you still under 6" of snow and temps below freezing- Yaboo Sucks- I got a decent ride in today. Just aswell as looked at the forecast for tomorrow and it looks like 40mm of rain to fall. Oh well- Back to the wet suit and the waterproof gloves again.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-15-08, 04:35 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Stapfam,
I do believe spring is also in the air here in sunny sw wi! It has been in the 30's and 40's for a few days now and the snow is busy melting. The roads are in reasonably good riding shape with only a bit of moisture and a lot of gravel to watch for. Skipper and I celebrated a belated pi day by driving to Irma's and indulging in some apple-blackberry pi(e). Upon our return back to town we met for a short early season ride albeit I wore full gloves and not fingerless. I can't wait for the 1st day of riding without multiple layers.
Old 03-15-08, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I just got back from my first ride with fingerless gloves this afternoon. Must admit it felt good, and the air smelled better today too.
Old 03-15-08, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
Stapfam,
I do believe spring is also in the air here in sunny sw wi! It has been in the 30's and 40's for a few days now and the snow is busy melting. The roads are in reasonably good riding shape with only a bit of moisture and a lot of gravel to watch for. Skipper and I celebrated a belated pi day by driving to Irma's and indulging in some apple-blackberry pi(e). Upon our return back to town we met for a short early season ride albeit I wore full gloves and not fingerless. I can't wait for the 1st day of riding without multiple layers.

Yeah, what he said.
Old 03-16-08, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, the ice has receeded from our street and the snowpack
is down to less than a foot. Spring's a comin'!!!!
Old 03-16-08, 06:17 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
First time this year- I wore the fingerless gloves on a ride. It would appear that the air is warming up over here. .

I'll be joining the breakfast ride later this morning but it won't be with fingerless gloves The snow from the storm has melted with all the rain we've had this week but the temps are just slightly above freezing.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 03-16-08, 06:41 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Thursday we had a group of Nine for a country road ride.. 55 miles.
One 65 y/o lady on a recumbent had the first flat tire. She changed it faster then you could change a babies diaper.
Thursday after taken decongestants I had to quit after 15 miles of headwinds. Went home ,30 miles total .
Sunny 89* Friday. Maintenance on my old bike. Have learned that less weight for long rides is better.