Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this weird or what?

I go out the other day for a ride, plan on doing 20 - 30 miles. On the bike I have a Minoura Swingbar for mounting lights and electronics. My bike computer is on there and sometimes I add a mapping GPS if I feel like exploring. So I'm about 25 minutes into the ride and look down at my computer to check my HR going up this one short but steep hill, and all my geeky electronics are gone!. I look down and they are laying in my cables. Metal fatigue caused the bar to break off. I stopped and gathered up the gear, stuffed it all in my jersey pockets and continued on my way. And without any thing to distract me like checking speed, cadence, heart rate, or where I might want to go next on the map I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. Is that weird or what? FWIW when I got back I dumped the computer info into my computer and the stats were about the same as usual, but the ride was more enjoyable without the distraction of the toys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    the ride was more enjoyable without the distraction of the toys.
    I never felt the need for any of that stuff for that exact reason...oh, and I'm a cheap ass.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahhhh Yessss. I have a lack of fondness for computers and small children. (Louis is back..)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    (Louis is back..)
    I just noticed that myself. It still isn't a good likeness.....but they say you often don't resemble your photos
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear there was no damage to the gadgets.

I seldom ride without the Garmin but only wear the heart monitor on the breakfast ride to measure improvement throughout the year. Maybe it's different for everyone but I pay little attention to it until after the ride.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go out the other day for a ride, plan on doing 20 - 30 miles. On the bike I have a Minoura Swingbar for mounting lights and electronics. My bike computer is on there and sometimes I add a mapping GPS if I feel like exploring. So I'm about 25 minutes into the ride and look down at my computer to check my HR going up this one short but steep hill, and all my geeky electronics are gone!. I look down and they are laying in my cables. Metal fatigue caused the bar to break off. I stopped and gathered up the gear, stuffed it all in my jersey pockets and continued on my way. And without any thing to distract me like checking speed, cadence, heart rate, or where I might want to go next on the map I just relaxed and enjoyed the ride. Is that weird or what? FWIW when I got back I dumped the computer info into my computer and the stats were about the same as usual, but the ride was more enjoyable without the distraction of the toys.
    Not weird at all, really. I used to have one of those clip on seat post racks to which I would attach a tail light using the manufacturer's metal bracket designed specifically for that purpose. I must have retrieved that light more than thirty times after more than one of the manufacturer's brackets had broken due to the sort of metal fatigue that you describe. I have tried several different home brewed brackets, but have come to the conclusion that the only way to make certain the light doesn't continue to fall off is to make preemptory bracket replacements, or find some other method by which to attach that light.

The rack is history for me, now, so, for the last year or so, I have that light attached using one of those non-ferrous zip lock bands that go around the seat post - and that setup seems to be going strong.

Good luck.

Caruso

My Bikes
    '06 Specialized Roubiax Expert, '08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29, Nishiki frame
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I've seen several other folks report the same thing.
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Expert
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Ahhhh Yessss. I have a lack of fondness for computers and small children. (Louis is back..)
    Although Ginsberg is one of my all time favorite poets, as an avatar his pic was too serious for the vibe that works best here. So it's back to another WC Fields avatar, also on my all time favorites list.

"Godfrey Daniel, mother of pearl!".
    Last edited by Louis; 03-16-08 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I just noticed that myself. It still isn't a good likeness.....but they say you often don't resemble your photos
    I may not look like him but I do a pretty good impression. Remember to ask me in July, after a few beers of course.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A GPS and a bike computer would look a bit out of place on the Capo , but I have from time to time used a bike computer on my mountain bike.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoy the ride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=dendawg;6350636when I got back I dumped the computer info into my computer and the stats were about the same as usual, but the ride was more enjoyable without the distraction of the toys.[/QUOTE]

I don't find it weird, sometimes we get so hung up on the data that the pure joy of riding gets lost in the process.