Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Catweazle Fellow

I must say that Catweazle is a most entertaining addition to this little group.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what an amazing avatar.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A colourful bloke he is. Fits right in.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Catweazle, I like him too! His name reminds me of that Found Cat poster we had up earlier, only that was an opposocat, not a catweazle.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likable enough, for a fellow who has to walk around upside down all the time.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    The Catweazle, I like him too! His name reminds me of that Found Cat poster we had up earlier, only that was an opposocat, not a catweazle.

Just spewed Canada Dry Mineral Water all over the keyboard. You owe me.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mineral water...Yeah sure.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    Mineral water...Yeah sure.
    He probably forgot to tell us what it was mixed with
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 We need more additions like this.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catweazle you might have told us........but did you choose your name because you were involved in the series back in the 70's?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my! Wander over to check on the ever-running 'pooter only to find this little diversion. I'm all ablush!

It's a perhaps opportune response to sit back by the fire, waffle on as old men are wont, and relate the story of how Catweazle came to be Catweazle.

It happened some years back now, when the old fellow was bombasting his way through life oblivious to a world around him which was becoming increasingly unsettled as the dawn of a new millenium (and thus Armaggedon) was drawing closer. He'd only a decade earlier moved down out of the bush, where he'd been indulging a lifelong passion for brutally hard work throwing heavy flitches across sawbenches and turning them into timber, in frontier communities populated by callous and rough men. He'd settled in more populous environs, where his young family had more exposure to a wider vista of education and aspirations.

In the intervening years, he'd come to the realisation that his contact with quite a slice of friends and family had diminished. And he'd come to understand that those city-dwelling folk had developed the habit of communicating via that newfangled 'intahnetties' thing! So he decided to join in.

He purchased himself a 'pooter, wrestled with the complexities of internet connections and ICQ installations, and eventually found himself logged in and proclaimed his name to the eleectronic world he'd arrived at.

Oh, dearie dearie me!

It was a technologically Tolkeinian existence he'd arrived at! There were Pippins and Eowins, Gandalfs and all manner of strangley named fantasy fiction characters he was confronted with! After initially struggling to work out just who the hell he was talking to, he was quickly informed that identifying oneself by name is an internet faux pas, and a dangerous practice which exposes a person to all sorts of nefarious hazards. Never a person to eschew local customs when he travelled, he decided to find his own fantasy identity, and being the mischievous bloke that he is he threw Catweazle in amongst the folk who originated from amongst the heights of literary achievement.

Hilarity ensued, but the name stuck.

A few years later the silly old bugger decided to throw in the towel once and for all ragarding that brutally hard work throwing flitches about. Having reached his half-century he was still six-packed, still king of the kids, and still star player in the side. But the years had taken toll, he was finding himself losing more and more time to illness during the colder months, and he'd no desire to leave memories of fading glory behind him.

That left a bit of a void in his life, of course, but not for long. Whilst struggling with that newfangled 'pooter he'd learnt a bit, and he soon found himself earning pocket money writing about them to help other folk who were also struggling with the complexities. And before too long 'Catweazle' found himself amongst gamer kiddies, and folk who were talking technical in communities all over the world.

Nowadays he's well known, in certain circles, as a 'guru' to young gamers, and a bloke whose opinion on matters technological is sometimes sought. He's turned into a 4,376 year old internet e-wizard!

A graduate of the University of the Back Shed, and Google King of the Universe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    And what an amazing avatar.

I have no idea what that is, and can't recall where I originally found it, but I came across it one day whilst googling for 'Catweazle' images.

Apart from the fact that the chap in the picture doesn't have a blue nose, it looks remarkably like my friend Danny, who lives in a self-built 'shantytown' type shack up in the hills way back of beyond keeping company with snakes and Rottweiller dogs. I've used it for ages.

Sometimes I get 'festive' around festivities time, and trot out 'Ebenezer Cateazle' in true festive spirit:

Never for long, though. Anyways, on with the illuminations about opposocats and the wondrous benefits of mineral water, eh?

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite a story! Have to admit that I'd never heard of Catweazle and have no connections in the gamer community. But I agree with everyone else that you are lots of fun to have in the forum. And I have to admit that I was a bit relieved when you posted your real picture a couple days ago. I was starting to think of you looking like your avatar!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I THINK it's a great story. The only phrase I understood (I think) was "a few years later".
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The avitar looks a great deal like Bootstrap Bill Turner. When I first saw that I thought it fit Catweazle to a T.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I THINK it's a great story. The only phrase I understood (I think) was "a few years later".
    +1 Reading it earned me an honorary doctorate in something or other......

Catweasle, I'm glad you joined us! I really enjoy your down-to-earth posts. I can't help but smile while I read them because I've been associating your avatar with your face and wondering does he really look like that? Very few of us actually look like our avatars. Oh except maybe DG.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh those silly Tolkien pseudonyms
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Oh those silly Tolkien pseudonyms
    How's Goldberry doing these days?
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the group here. If you all want some more entertaining and upside-down banter revolving around Catweazle go to his thread "Did I mention that it was flat here?" (or something to that effect) that he posted a here few days ago and click on the link he included there.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something tells me when Catweazle wasn't throwing heavy flitches across sawbenches and turning them into timber he had in old blue nose in some classic literature........

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    Oh my! Wander over to check on the ever-running 'pooter only to find this little diversion. I'm all ablush!

It's a perhaps opportune response to sit back by the fire, waffle on as old men are wont, and relate the story of how Catweazle came to be Catweazle.

It happened some years back now, when the old fellow was bombasting his way through life oblivious to a world around him which was becoming increasingly unsettled as the dawn of a new millenium (and thus Armaggedon) was drawing closer. He'd only a decade earlier moved down out of the bush, where he'd been indulging a lifelong passion for brutally hard work throwing heavy flitches across sawbenches and turning them into timber, in frontier communities populated by callous and rough men. He'd settled in more populous environs, where his young family had more exposure to a wider vista of education and aspirations.

In the intervening years, he'd come to the realisation that his contact with quite a slice of friends and family had diminished. And he'd come to understand that those city-dwelling folk had developed the habit of communicating via that newfangled 'intahnetties' thing! So he decided to join in.

He purchased himself a 'pooter, wrestled with the complexities of internet connections and ICQ installations, and eventually found himself logged in and proclaimed his name to the eleectronic world he'd arrived at.

Oh, dearie dearie me!

It was a technologically Tolkeinian existence he'd arrived at! There were Pippins and Eowins, Gandalfs and all manner of strangley named fantasy fiction characters he was confronted with! After initially struggling to work out just who the hell he was talking to, he was quickly informed that identifying oneself by name is an internet faux pas, and a dangerous practice which exposes a person to all sorts of nefarious hazards. Never a person to eschew local customs when he travelled, he decided to find his own fantasy identity, and being the mischievous bloke that he is he threw Catweazle in amongst the folk who originated from amongst the heights of literary achievement.

Hilarity ensued, but the name stuck.

A few years later the silly old bugger decided to throw in the towel once and for all ragarding that brutally hard work throwing flitches about. Having reached his half-century he was still six-packed, still king of the kids, and still star player in the side. But the years had taken toll, he was finding himself losing more and more time to illness during the colder months, and he'd no desire to leave memories of fading glory behind him.

That left a bit of a void in his life, of course, but not for long. Whilst struggling with that newfangled 'pooter he'd learnt a bit, and he soon found himself earning pocket money writing about them to help other folk who were also struggling with the complexities. And before too long 'Catweazle' found himself amongst gamer kiddies, and folk who were talking technical in communities all over the world.

Nowadays he's well known, in certain circles, as a 'guru' to young gamers, and a bloke whose opinion on matters technological is sometimes sought. He's turned into a 4,376 year old internet e-wizard!

A graduate of the University of the Back Shed, and Google King of the Universe!

Wut? (I need a confused smiley)
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swan652 View Post
    ....click on the link he included there.
    heh heh...

I got a really good chcuckle indeed after seeing one young bloke speculate that, in my bush hut...

The computer is a voice recognition barman. The weed-wacker rolls doobs. Nice place. Automated, yet peaceful.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Catweazle... were you involved with the Catweazle video game at all, since you mentioned gaming?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, mate. I've no 'official' affiliation with the character in any way whatsoever. It's merely a character I appropriated for an online alias.