Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is this normal gravel???

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Is this normal gravel???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 10:38 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
B-O-R-I-N-G...

I like my roads like I like my women, with lots of curves and hills.
Hey! You ride where your butt is set down!
Old 04-02-08, 03:07 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
Hey! You ride where your butt is set down!

If you can't live near the terrain you love to ride, honey, love to ride the terrain you're near.
Old 04-02-08, 09:09 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what a person riding clipless would do if they had to walk in that stuff. I think there's more to be added. Last time I was on this road it was very very deep pea gravel. I could ride in that, but this I thought would poke a hole in my tire. It's very loose and slippery.

The problem with finding a better road is that I'm just learning the area, and I don't know where I am most of the time. So if I head down a road, I'm not entirely sure where the next one is. Although, I have to say, so far the place seems to be laid out like giant city blocks! Like there's a road every mile instead of every block.

The cars have been very nice so far, giving me a wide berth and slowing way down. The dogs have been sweet, too! The roadkill is varied and pungent. And there's a huge variety on what roads are made with... I think it has to do with water runoff and fields?
solveg, you really crack me up! And some say stapfam has the dry wit.
Old 04-03-08, 11:00 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Solveg,

Here's a pretty route suggestion in Central Kansas that is part asphalt, part sand roads (last time I was on them; you might want to check with the county). It would be perfect for your Atlantis.

It starts in Lindsborg, "Little Sweden USA," which is a pretty little town with nice B&B's, and a nice city park by the river with good camping. Road takes you out to a butte north of town called "Coronado Heights;" it's worth climbing the little road up to the top as the views are spectacular. Then you take sand roads to the west, and end up at another little town called Marquette. Tiny little Main Street, some old stores and a motorcycle museum to visit. Then back on quiet asphalt roads through the Smoky River Valley back to Lindsborg.

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...org/1007487076

It's about 100 miles for you to get up to Lindsborg; maybe further than you want to do for a day but it's a nice weekend. There are also some other asphalt roads that would get you from Lindsborg to the East out into the Gypsum Hills...and some very nice riding in and around Kanopolis Reservoir / State Park (to the West of Lindsborg).
Old 04-03-08, 01:12 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks BengeBoy!

Boy, have I had a rude awakening regarding miles down here. I didn't ride much in the Winter because I got pneumonia pretty soon after I got my winter bike, so I'm kind of starting fresh with my endurance down here. These deep gravel and dirt roads are twice as hard to ride as the crushed limestone up north, and I'm usually on paved roads in MN! Add to that a wind, and I have to re-assess any long mileage trips down here.

But then again, intellectually I know that my mileage will pick up faster than I think possible. If only my body knew what my brain does....
Old 04-03-08, 01:14 PM
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
B-O-R-I-N-G...

I like my roads like I like my women, with lots of curves and hills.
Lots of bumps? Remember those rashes aren't just from bike riding.
Old 04-03-08, 02:02 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Thanks BengeBoy!

Boy, have I had a rude awakening regarding miles down here. I didn't ride much in the Winter because I got pneumonia pretty soon after I got my winter bike, so I'm kind of starting fresh with my endurance down here. These deep gravel and dirt roads are twice as hard to ride as the crushed limestone up north, and I'm usually on paved roads in MN! Add to that a wind, and I have to re-assess any long mileage trips down here.

But then again, intellectually I know that my mileage will pick up faster than I think possible. If only my body knew what my brain does....
It takes a surprisingly long time to recover from pneumonia. Take is as it comes without pushing back into trouble. Stop and expore a little more than usual..............after all, it's Kansas...............you can never tell what's over the next hill.
Old 04-03-08, 02:06 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Stop and expore a little more than usual..............after all, it's Kansas...............you can never tell what's over the next hill.
Old 04-03-08, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
...after all, it's Kansas...............you can never tell what's over the next hill.
In the case of the route I outlined for Solveg above, "what's over the next hill" is one of the best tactical aircraft bombing ranges in the Midwest.: The Smoky Hill Air National Guard Range.

https://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123054166

The road I outlined takes her right along the southern edge of the bombing range. It's kind of wild country (at least by Kansas standards), which is why the roads I recommended are so nice. You'll know you're at the bombing range when you see signs on the fence that say, "Danger. Live Unexploded Ordinance. Do not Enter." They mean it.

You almost never see aircraft there -- and if you do, they come and go in a flash. Nice place to ride!
Old 04-06-08, 02:27 PM

Bikes: 28"trek is my favorite boney gravel bike /climbers are a canondale and access

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL looks like the stud mill road to me /.The only difference is its flat!/Ken
Old 04-08-08, 07:46 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure that's not a leech field?
Old 04-08-08, 07:47 PM
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
The real bummer about riding on that stuff is that motor vehicles will sling stones that sometimes hit your bike. It would be a shame to put dings or (gasp) dents on that sweet ride.
Of course more often we do that to them.
Old 04-09-08, 12:37 AM
Space Dust

Bikes: Old DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Solveg,

Here's a pretty route suggestion in Central Kansas that is part asphalt, part sand roads (last time I was on them; you might want to check with the county). It would be perfect for your Atlantis.

It starts in Lindsborg, "Little Sweden USA," which is a pretty little town with nice B&B's, and a nice city park by the river with good camping. Road takes you out to a butte north of town called "Coronado Heights;" it's worth climbing the little road up to the top as the views are spectacular. Then you take sand roads to the west, and end up at another little town called Marquette. Tiny little Main Street, some old stores and a motorcycle museum to visit. Then back on quiet asphalt roads through the Smoky River Valley back to Lindsborg.

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...org/1007487076

It's about 100 miles for you to get up to Lindsborg; maybe further than you want to do for a day but it's a nice weekend. There are also some other asphalt roads that would get you from Lindsborg to the East out into the Gypsum Hills...and some very nice riding in and around Kanopolis Reservoir / State Park (to the West of Lindsborg).
We must be from the same area. I grew up in McPherson and know that area well. Gravel roads are popular there and also around the KC area. Some municipal areas with lot's of money have strict engineering standards and get the right gravel material for specific conditions. Others use whatever they can get cheapest or have in the yard piles and trust to luck.

I grew up riding on everything from rough pasture to mud to sand to pea gravel to rough gravel to asphalt or concrete. The trick to riding those odd surfaces and gravel similar to that pictured by the OP is to keep your speed up, and ride steady. DO NOT "correct" for the gravel/sand induced jogs or you will end up over correcting and crash. Trust to the gyro action of your wheels and keep your eyes on where you want to go, -don't look at the road surface or you will crash. I have ridden on those surfaces with everything from the old balloon tires to skinny road bike tires with no problems or tire issues. Crushed flint on the other hand can occasionally rip up a tire. If you think gravel rattles your teeth you haven't experienced anything until you have ridden washboard...

I haven't been to Kanopolis in years, I will have to get back there soon.
Old 04-09-08, 07:07 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I drove my van over the rocks in the OP, and the van* slipped slightly. I don't think anyone can ride a bike over those sharp boulders....

Washboard roads are something else! I'd love to know what I look like when I'm riding on it.... is all the extra fat on my body jiggling and is my chin waggling from side to side? Is my hair going up and down like a cartoon character?
Old 04-09-08, 08:15 AM
Space Dust

Bikes: Old DF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vehicles running on sand and gravel will drift the same way. The same eyes ahead and keep the wheel pointed where you want to go is required when driving them also. A person just has to get used to it. Trying to correct will crash a motor vehicle also. The same thing can be said of driving on snow. Some people never get used to it and will crash in a heartbeat. Personally I don't think I would have any problem riding the gravel in the OP. Heavy gravel like that is much easier to ride on than deep sand. Deep sand will stop a road bike with skinny tires but would only gradually slow a bike with 1.75" tires and barely cause a 2.25" tire bike a problem.

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-09-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-09-08, 09:29 AM

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Torque1st
I grew up in McPherson and know that area well....I haven't been to Kanopolis in years, I will have to get back there soon.

McPherson: me too.

Kanopolis: took my kids hiking in Horse Thief Canyon last summer...