Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on Brooks purchase

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 09:59 PM
W A N T E D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please help, I'm retired on a fixed income, so when purchasing something on this order, I need to get it right on the first try. I want to purchase a Brooks Flyer and need to know if it will fit my Schwinn Continental seat post. I ask because I know that there are different style seatposts, and I'm wondering if I'll need special hardware to mount the saddle. My Schwinn is a 1983/84, not sure of the year. I'm the original owner.
Old 04-03-08, 12:01 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
The Brooks will fit in most seatposts that have a built in two rail clamp. If you have a "pipe" type seatpost there is a separate clamp available to mount the Brooks saddle. Here is a link that shows both types of seatpost. https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/seatposts.html The seat post you have may work fine or be easily modified with a separate clamp. If you know the size of your current post (usually marked on the post), you can probably find what you need in a used part either at a bike shop or on e-Bay. Don
Old 04-03-08, 03:52 AM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you order from Wallingford Bicycle Parts, you can return it if it doesn't work. You could call and ask them which saddle would work (there are double and triple rail versions, in addition to more modern single rail). Or maybe someone in the Classic and Vintage forum would know.
Old 04-03-08, 04:03 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
It'll work.

The Flyer has single rails and coil springs so you don't need any special hardware. If your Schwinn happens to have a straight saddle piller, take the clamp off of your existing saddle (it's easiest to take the clamp off in pieces) and reassemble it onto your new Brooks.
Old 04-03-08, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good advice above. One other consideration, Brooks saddles tend to have slightly shorter rails than many other saddles. Hence, you want to think about the amount of set back you need for proper fitting. Measure the rails of your current saddle, check to see where you've got it clamped. Then compare these measurements with the Brooks to see if it will allow for the same positioning.
Old 04-03-08, 12:08 PM
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks folks! Sent my order to Harris Cyclery last night. Ordered the Honey colored seat. Thanks again!
Old 04-04-08, 01:16 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An additional word of advice. The Flyer will require a more nose high attitude to keep you from sliding forward but not so high as to cause rubbing and chaffing in the nether regions. Also don't put as much stock in the "knee over pedal" measurement as you might in the sight alignment of the handle bars and front hub. As you raise the seat height you will effectively increase rearward saddle position.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)