Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Classic Coastal Ride - Pescadero Loop

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 09:58 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts

My wife and I went on a training ride with our coaches to Pescadero over Skyline and back - 70 miles with 6200 feet of climbing. Our Garmin Training center software calculated the climbing at 9000 feet and my new version of Ascent on the Mac was 6200 feet. 9000 or 6200, it was a difficult training ride.

No pics from this ride. First, the weather was not great and it was overcast with a mist with rain at times. When we left in the morning, Skyline was in a mist. I had put on my carbon wheelset but swapped them out at the car when I saw the condition of the mountains.

On these rides, there is time for coaching instructions, bio breaks and one feeding stop. The idea is to train for road races by doing high speed pace lines with lots of climbing.

After the 3.5 mile climb up Skyline, we had a fast pace line to the coast and headed south toward Pescadero, Pacific Coast Highway in this section is beautiful but hilly. The climbs are not long but when you are starting to get tired, they seem longer.

Our club hosts a race called the Pescadero Road Race each year which does loops in reverse of what we did not including the climb over Skyline.

It is a great route with smooth roads and great scenery and highly recommended.
Old 04-07-08, 02:37 PM
Burn Rubber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, what a bowl of a profile!
Old 04-07-08, 09:38 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I will be doing that basic route June 1 on the first day of the AIDS/LifeCycle ride (SF to LA). I did it last year. It's just a long grind. Fortunately, I wasn't "training" and could take it at a relaxed pace.

The 6200-9000 thing is why I haven't invested in any GPS yet. There are 4 or 5 of them in my riding group and they are never the same at the end of the ride--always 25-30% different.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 04-11-08, 10:50 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca - 2007, Orbea Ordu - 2008, Cervelo P3 track, Santana Sovereign tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a great training ride with about a dozen cyclists that train with the same coaches. The fast pace lines were intense. There was no slacking under the watchful eyes of the coaches, but it was nice to have a support vehicle. We are doing a repeat of the same ride on Sunday - this time the weather should be sunny and unseasonably warm - 80 degrees!