Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news and bad news...

Good news: I got a job! Not one of the desultory part-time low wage McJobs I've had to settle for in this grim economy, but a position, admittedly only on a temp/contract basis, in my field that pays actual money. Starts beginning of May. Hence, more money for bike stuff.

Believe me, I'd about given up on ever working in the field (Instructional Design) again.

Bad news: it'll be a 40 mile (each way) cross town commute. Hence, less time for bike rides, especially the weeknight club rides that make up so much of my time on the bike.

What I might do is take the bike there 2 or 3 days a week, and instead of fighting the evening rush hour traffic, do an hour or so on the bike before heading home. There is a nice parkway nearby.

There's also a Wed. night club ride near there, a pretty fast one. Whether I'll want to ride hammer and tongs for 2+ hours after a day at work, and not get home till around 10pm -- we shall see.

On another note: pleased to report that my semi-regular Tour de Trainer stages w/heart monitor seem to have paid off in spite of slacking lately. Did a 25+ mile club ride at a brisk pace on my fixie last night. Did not get dropped. And could still walk today!

Ibuprofen helped, no doubt.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the job. I thought no one in Detroit actually worked these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on gainful employment!

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!!! Bike stuff!! Wheee!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on a good job in your field, esp in a down economy.
    I had to give up on high-tech electronics in 2003 (after 27 yrs), but my second career is looking somewhat more hopeful.
    '81 Austro Daimler Olympian, '86 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, '87 DeRosa Professional, '99 Calfee TetraPro, '03(?) Macalu Cirrus, '04 Tallerico, '97 Co-Motion Tandem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. Now what the heck is instructional design?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola View Post
    [B]
    What I might do is take the bike there 2 or 3 days a week, and instead of fighting the evening rush hour traffic, do an hour or so on the bike before heading home. There is a nice parkway nearby.
    Congratulations on the new job.

Your plan sounds like a good one. I often leave work a little early to catch a couple nearby club rides and then do the commute home when their isn't as much traffic.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! Is it for a set term or open ended? I know of some people who have done contract work for the same person for years. It's like a normal job without benefits, but for more money!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uplifting post. Glad things are working out. Your plan to take the bike with you a few days a week makes perfect sense.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    Congratulations! Is it for a set term or open ended? I know of some people who have done contract work for the same person for years. It's like a normal job without benefits, but for more money!
    It's supposedly a 26 week project. Could be more or less.

As for bennies, I married mine. Teacher (now retired), good health coverage!

The cynic in me thinks that the reason things are opening up is that so many of my peers have either left the field, left the state, or both. I personally know of two, and have heard anecdotally of many more.

Nearly as good as income, it gives me current experience to add to my resume.

Oh, and just ordered some "odds and ends" from Nashbar and Biketools Etc.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good show. I have always enjoyed working in instructional design projects. I managed a small ID group for a few years a long time ago. Those projects always have interesting challenges and can be quite rewarding when it goes well.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post