Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think Jet Travis was right

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-08, 07:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Sometimes I guess I just gotta stick my finger in the boiling water to see if it's hot.......

JT's advice was to avoid hammering for a bit with the "back pain" I picked up last Saturday. However, it got a lot better in a couple days. I was even able to play golf Monday and Tuesday. I did the Time Trial Wednesday night and while it was a little stiff I managed. Today we did the ride below and I was probably the lead anchor in a group of 8. I had to really work to stay with the group. About 20 miles into the ride I could feel the "twinge" in the lower back again.

However too far into the ride to make any adjustments so I just "hammered away"-including a time trial up the first 6 mile climb, and then pushing through two 17% stretches on the second climb.

I was amazed at how much time I spent in my upper HR zones. Max heart rate was 190+......I'm pretty trashed tonight!! Not to mention the stiff lower back!

Edit: One of the guys that rode with us is 65 or 66 and is an incredibly strong rider. He did the 10 mile TT Wednesday night 2 minutes faster than me and averaged 27 mph versus my 25 mph. I was working pretty good to get up the hills on the route above using my 50/34-12/27. He was running a 53/39 with a 12/25 cassette. He struggled a little on the 17% section but breezed right along on everything else. Just incredible in my book.

Last edited by jppe; 04-12-08 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 07:43 PM
Harry helps.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lower back pain will always come back to haunt you. Err... hurt you.
Old 04-11-08, 07:50 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
One of my exercises (I was down for a month in 1980) is to lay on my back on the floor with my legs elevated to a sitting position (viewed from the side as if you were in a chair but laying on your back). An old round hassock works well for this. The leg elevation straightens out your spine and takes all the pressure off of the muscles that support the back. As long as the floor is firm and not cold, the back will get a good rest this way. Sometimes when your back is tired, 30min to a hour is great.

Resting the muscles helps to do away with the spasms and pain. The pain is from tired muscles that are working at the command of your brain to straighten you spine. Your brain knows that the nerves in the spine are being pinched and works the muscles to make the pinch go away.
Old 04-11-08, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bet you didn't listen to your mother's sage advice either!
Old 04-11-08, 10:31 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Great ride as always. Good luck with your back. i am sure it will be better in the future.
Old 04-12-08, 02:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Reckon you must have been mad to do a ride like this so soon after a back injury so hopefully you are paying for it now.

Me saying that and whenever I have the back problem- I find it comfortable riding the bike.

I have tried Ibuprufen and it affects me and I do not suit it- Tried Various linaments and all it does is give me distance from others due to the smell of it. Heat does not seem to help either- but a bag of Frozen peas works wonders. I was passed on this tip many years ago and if it heat does not help in pain relief- then try cold.

Luckily- our freezer is full of frozen vegetables from the Garden from last year- so I guess I had better get the peas in this weekend. All I had last week were Corn on the cob and Tomatoes. Didn't have the same pain relieving qualities.

Spike Milligan