Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racing the TdF on a sport tourer.

When I look at grainy photos from the 20's to 40's of TdF racers, their bikes appear to have laid back head and seat tube angles, and slow steering trail. Almost like a relaxed, sport touring bike. Any comments?

BTW, I've been lurking for a long time and just started posting. BF50 seems an informative, intelligent, and friendly forum. Just returned to cycling after several years away. I'm re-learning base miles and spinning low gears from the perspective of a 61 year old with 61 year old, over-used knees. Looking forward to where I'll be next fall.

Anyway, Hello all, and glad to be here.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Velo Fellow. Well into the 1960s, the TdF was run largely on cobblestones, which required forgiving frames. There is quite a contrast between my ca. 1960 Capos and my ca. 1980 Bianchi, all of which were built to essentially the TdF geometries of their respective eras. Today's TdF bikes, designed for even better roads, make my Bianchi look a bit slack. Take one model, such as the Peugeot PX-10, and see how much its geometry tightened from 1970 to 1980.

With proper pedaling technique and generous use of the lower gears, a flexible frame does not have to reduce the rider's efficiency very much.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going onto the TDF- The roads they run on are pretty good. There are a few spots where Cobbles will be ridden on but not many. In the UK last year- The route of the TDF was resurfaced but there one Town where the manholes and drains were proud of the surface and they nearly changed the route.

Bike geometry has changed over the years and in general- the race bikes are set up with aggressive head tube angles for the smooth surfaces they run on. BUT- Mountain bikes used to have head tube angles of 70 or 71 degrees. With Suspension this has now changed to a relaxed 69 but there are still the odd retro's that ride with the 71. Makes for a fast handling bike- but does require a modicum of skill to get the best out of.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know nothin' about the topic, just wanted to say "welcome" from one 61 year old (in a week) to another. However, my initials are TDF.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Velo Fellow. I don't know as much about the fames from the past as Mojo Slim. Glad to have you here.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome aboard. Check out the relaxed geometry of Eddy's famous TDF DeRosa. The rear wheel is a long, long way from the seat tube--almost like a true touring bike.

http://www.vintagevelos.com/merckx73.html
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if y go back even further, the bikes were all fixed gears... often with 2 sprockets--one on each side, where the cyclist would flip the wheel at the top of a hill to get the higher gear for going down... no coasting-

train safe-

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    if y go back even further, the bikes were all fixed gears... often with 2 sprockets--one on each side, where the cyclist would flip the wheel at the top of a hill to get the higher gear for going down... no coasting-

train safe-
    True that. I didn't read the original post carefully enough. If you go back to the 40s or earlier, you're talking about something that would most certainly predate even a "sport-tourer." No coasting or easy gear shifting, indeed.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Fellow View Post
    BF50 seems an informative, intelligent, and friendly forum.
    Welcome! If you continue to exercise that kind of poor judgment on a consistent basis, you are definitely in the right place!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Welcome! If you continue to exercise that kind of poor judgment on a consistent basis, you are definitely in the right place!
    I would never want to participate in any forum which would admit me as a member.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    True that. I didn't read the original post carefully enough. If you go back to the 40s or earlier, you're talking about something that would most certainly predate even a "sport-tourer." No coasting or easy gear shifting, indeed.
    Here is an early 1960s racing photo I have posted elsewhere in BF. The bikes are Capo Siegers from Otto Cap Fahrrad und Metallwerk, Vienna (capo.at) -- note the long fork rakes and the low seat heights. The ensuing 20 years saw great improvements in road surfaces and a steady tightening of frameset geometries.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Here is an early 1960s racing photo I have posted elsewhere in BF. The bikes are Capo Siegers from Otto Cap Fahrrad und Metallwerk, Vienna (capo.at) -- note the long fork rakes and the low seat heights. The ensuing 20 years saw great improvements in road surfaces and a steady tightening of frameset geometries.
    Thanks for posting - that's a really interesting photo. The riders' bodies look different, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all who've posted. I also note in the pic, altho' angles can be deceiving, the seat height to bar height....looks similar to what I find comfortable these days and not particularly "racer" as we recognize it today.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post