User Tag List

My Bikes
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Rider, Foot Numbness, Solution?

My BW (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has become enthused with road riding and joined me on a 20-mile excursion over the weekend. She's pretty happy with the accomodations, an elderly but quite serviceable Schwinn Traveller, but she has one problem. Her left foot goes numb after a few miles. She's using platform pedals and New Balance running shoes so there shouldn't be any pressure points, and her upper-leg / lower-leg angle is about 30 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so I believe the saddle height is about right. She reports no discomfort with the saddle itself, a split-top Schwinn product.

As I'm really pleased to have her ride with me, I'd like to solve this problem as soon as possible so that she doesn't become discouraged. Any suggestions?

Regards,
    Bob P.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's time for a brand new road bike. If you were a real man, you'd by her one.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Trek 4900 Alpha, GF Cronus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to sound really dumb, but don't tie the laces too tight. I had the same foot numbness in one foot. I found by loosening the laces a bit, the numbness went away.

Another question to ask is if her knee tingles as well. If so, it's seat position moreso than lace tightness.

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate riding in sneakers or tennis shoes. My feet always go numb. I got some firm sole mountain bike shoes and the problems went away.

I added cleats and platform/spd pedals 2 years later.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had foot pain from too tight laces. I used my old fashioned riding shoes (rather soft like Tennis shoes) on my Parmamounts steel trap pedals. After 15 miles my feet were numb and painful. Try harder soled shoes or MTB shoes.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    riders:Schwinn Continental ('80), Specialized Crossroads Sport ('07), Schwinn Super Sport (73), Schwinn Superior (76), Projects: Schwinn Sprint ('74), Trek 800 & Schwinn Continental ('71)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pringle View Post
    Her left foot goes numb after a few miles. She's using platform pedals and New Balance running shoes so there shouldn't be any pressure points, and her upper-leg / lower-leg angle is about 30 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so I believe the saddle height is about right. She reports no discomfort with the saddle itself, a split-top Schwinn product.
    running shooes are designed to absorb shock at the heel, and properly applying downward pressure by the ball of your foot is likely the issue. Firmer sole shoe should solve the problem if foot related.

If you can adjust the seat forward or back, it way also assist if she may be extended downward with leg position forward, a neighbor had trouble with both feet on a Electra type bike because the pedals were forward of his seat.

The Schwinn Traveler has conventional handle bars, so her position is more upright? If so lowering seat may provide relief if other suggestions do not, as she may actually be shifting weight to extend fully on down pedal. (another thought)

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stiff-soled bicycle touring shoes instead of running shoes. Looser laces/velcro strap. Use toeclips (full or half-clips) or PowerGrips on the pedals.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    I hate riding in sneakers or tennis shoes. My feet always go numb. I got some firm sole mountain bike shoes and the problems went away.

+ .5
    2015 Sirrus Elite
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I'll try to get her to replace her beloved running shoes ASAP.

Regards,
    Bob P.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, as mentioned above, never ever ride in sneakers.

Get your wife a pair of cycling shoes. The pedals can cut through the sole and cause pain and foot numbness. It is very similar to the hand pain and numbness you get and it has a similar cause: pressure on the nerves.

Also putting orthotics into the shoes will give the foot some more cushioning.

Another thing that will help would be either clipless pedals or toe clips. Yes they are daunting. But you foot will have a more stable connection to the pedal. That improves the pedal stroke. One cause of foot numbness is the tendency to push up the one foot with the power stroke on the other side. That way your foot has a constant pressure on it that over time produces numbness and pain.

But right now, I would bet that cycling shoes would make a world of difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, but if it's just one foot, it kind of suggests that it's not foot pressure on the pedal. Could be the saddle is just a touch too high for her on one side and it's cutting off some circulation. I would try a bit lower and a bit further back. These kinds of bikes we never intended to be setup like road bikes, where measuring leg angles might be of some value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post

Agree on the Mt. bike shoes even with platform pedals. The real key is to have the riding position set up correctly. The correct position makes even the crappyist bike comfortable. Saddle to pedal height and saddle to bar length must be correct to get the proper weight distribution on the bike.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would point to the shoes- like most- but no need to get cycling shoes yet. Just get her to find the stiffest soled shoe she possess's and get her to ride in those.

Pics of her riding in high heels would be appreciated- but Flip flops showing the bunions and corns would not.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by commutr View Post
    This is going to sound really dumb, but don't tie the laces too tight. I had the same foot numbness in one foot. I found by loosening the laces a bit, the numbness went away.

Another question to ask is if her knee tingles as well. If so, it's seat position moreso than lace tightness.
    +1 - Shoelaces must not be tight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loud socks. Every third grader knows that answer.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddle height could be the issue. We're not all made symmetrical. Try lowering a tad. If she doesn't want to go clipless, skater shoes are pretty good.

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "OK, as mentioned above, never ever ride in sneakers. "
    Sneakers, with large platforms, can be fine- I rode three years with sneakers and powergrips, thousands of miles, numerous 60+ milers and centuries included.

Wife just went through a similar thing- one foot going numb- in MTB shoes with clipless. Found out one foot is slightly larger than the other (pretty common, they say), and shoes were mariganlly sized to begin with. One size up and all is well now.
    Suggest looser laces, as others have said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for the suggestion that it's probably shoe tightness rather than anything else. I ride with nylon 'comfort' platform pedals and a pair of sneakers, and don't experience discomfort despite the fact that my feet are no longer in the best shape. Reason for that, I believe, is that the sneakers I use are well worn in to my feet, and are of the elasticised 'slipper' type, fitting firmly but not tightly.

I've tried riding with stiffer-soled shoes and after a while it causes me grief. Lace-up shoes also cause me grief unless I have the laces rather loose. But with the glove-like fit of elasticised sneakers I can ride all day without discomfort.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, thanks a bunch, guys!

Regards,
    Bob P.

P.S. - BW was game for the photo thing but she doesn't have any high heels!

My Bikes
    Jamis Nova Pro, Giant Sedona
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode for years in athletic shoes. No doubt bike shoes help. One thing I found to look out for is to keep your feet relaxed. When you are pushing hard there is a tendancy to clench your feet like you are trying to get a better grip. Often when my feet would start to hurt or get numb I'd find (and still do) that if I relaxed my foot the numbness eases.