Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I need a new mtb

I broke my 10 year old mtb today. Luckily, I had stopped to add a layer and heard the crunching as I started riding again. I had just finished a climb and was starting a fast descent. A short walk home followed the discovery.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting catastrophic break totally along the weld. Never know, they might warranty it even after ten years. The weld was obviously stronger than the adjoining material and had probably weakened that area in the beginning. Doesn't look like JB Weld is going to help you much with this one.

It never hurts to ask the manufacturer and when you do tell them you are trying to figure out what you are going to get next and see what they suggest in their line. They might just help you out with an offer you can't refuse.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd be tempted to send these pictures to the manufacturer also. Most don't like to see this sort of failure.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's broken.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did you walk it home...a nice slow pace would get you there : )
    Glad you did not start that fast downhill...

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I think it's broken.
    +1 Even with my limited mechanical knowledge I could have called this one correctly

Glad you saw this before you started the downhill.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, at least this qualifies as actual need, rather than merely a very strong and heavily rationalized want.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to take it to the LBS and say "I was just riding along..." .

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little bit (okay, a lot) of duct tape should have you up and riding in no time.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1971 Nishiki Competition, a brazed lugged frame, broke at precisely the same spot -- in my case, the seat tube lug broke away from the bottom bracket shell. Whenever the rider stands on the cranks, or even pushes hard while seated, this part of the frame is under extreme stress, and a triple chainring's longer crankshaft exacerbates the problem. One can very easily limp safely home with this type of failure (been there ... done that) -- just stick it in a low gear and spin the cranks.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Be sure to take it to the LBS and say "I was just riding along..." .
    Best idea yet!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see the pic from work (firewall) to see what kind of MTB you need to replace, but I just bought a frame like this one (from this seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MTB-Columbus...QQcmdZViewItem

I bought an upgraded (next model year) that has better routing for V Brakes and has curved seat stays for $15 extra.

I brought it to the LBS to install a headeet and BB, and they were impressed by how light it is, and one of the co-owners looked at it and said he wants to learn to weld like that... and he builds custom frames. So the frame/fork defintitely seems worth the price if you want to go hardtail/rigid fork.

I have found a few other references to the frame in MTB forums etc that show that other buyers are impressed by the bike as well.

Of course, you can ignore this if you have a different style, or have your heart set on a new bike instead of a new frame.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
    I can't see the pic from work (firewall) to see what kind of MTB you need to replace, but I just bought a frame like this one (from this seller):

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-MTB-Columbus...QQcmdZViewItem

I bought an upgraded (next model year) that has better routing for V Brakes and has curved seat stays for $15 extra.

I brought it to the LBS to install a headeet and BB, and they were impressed by how light it is, and one of the co-owners looked at it and said he wants to learn to weld like that... and he builds custom frames. So the frame/fork defintitely seems worth the price if you want to go hardtail/rigid fork.

I have found a few other references to the frame in MTB forums etc that show that other buyers are impressed by the bike as well.

Of course, you can ignore this if you have a different style, or have your heart set on a new bike instead of a new frame.
    That's a heck of a deal, but I do want full suspension. All of the other parts are pretty old, too, except the crankset. There has to be metal fatigue in those parts, they've taken a pounding. I could get a frame and build something for less severe duty, but I have 4 other bikes already.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda hard to see the problem; can you set your camera to macro and get a little closer? Yuk! Yuk!
    Watch out you don't fall into that chasm.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe your bike lasted 10 years... wow!

I had an older bike, I think I had it 5 - 6 years and on a ride (and of course I was the farthest point out from my car) I tried to crank up a steep hill and it blew apart! Of course that bike was kindof cheap but I rode it to death. Had to walk 4 miles to the nearest road, dragging this heap of scrap metal along with me.

I'm hoping the new bike (much more expensive) also give me 5 - 6 years.

Anyway have fun shopping!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post

I had an older bike, I think I had it 5 - 6 years and on a ride (and of course I was the farthest point out from my car) I tried to crank up a steep hill and it blew apart! Of course that bike was kindof cheap but I rode it to death. Had to walk 4 miles to the nearest road, dragging this heap of scrap metal along with me.

Bought the Kona Explosif in 94 so perhaps it is time to get a new bike. It's only done around 20,000 miles- and that was in the first 5 years of its life. But then my Frame has a lifetime warranty.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to see your faithful steed broke. It's fun getting new ones though! What kind of bike was it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What? You don't carry a welding kit in your seatpack ?

But seriously, glad you weren't hurt before you noticed it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Pam, 10 years. I did spend most of my time on the road bike, though.
    It's a K2, the last year of Proflex.
    Louis, maybe some JB Weld?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post

Are you kidding? Other than my new MTB, two of my bikes are 16 years old and one is 28 years old. I would be shocked if one of them broke. Of course, they are steel.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that it took big john only 10 years to break his frame, I suppose I should not complain about going 20 years and 40k miles with the Nishiki.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's my fourth frame broken. I had a nice Nishiki steel hardtail and the chainstay sheared in front of the dropout. I really liked that frame. A few years of pounding is all it could take.
    I had a Trek 660 that cracked around the bottom bracket after 15,000 miles. I wasn't too crazy about that bike, so no big deal as Trek gave me store credit toward a Landshark. A friend still has that Landshark, from 1990.

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/ factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need something burly. This one should do it; I'll sell it to you right after I get done using it at Sea Otter .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    Sounds like you need something burly. This one should do it; I'll sell it to you right after I get done using it at Sea Otter .

I can't see the pic. Is it a DH bike? I was thinking more XC.