Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: The Kid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kid

Hi every one. I am 57 and started riding last summer. I road more last summer than i did as a kid. Baught a wall-Mart dirt bike and in 5-weeks put 800-miles on it. Crank went out but they had 90-day trade in so i took it back with berrings in hand and they said i would have to put it back together in order for them to take it back. Well,I went out side to my car and screwed crank back on bike, pushed it back in stoor and said here it is. They said only could trade in for upgrade. So told them there othere store had one i was interested in so they gave me credit for outher store. Went to other store and they said they could not except it being from a different store. Went back to origanal store later that afternoon and told girl what I was told an she said OK I will fix that and gave me back all my money. Mistake,,,, Just what I realy wanted so I could go and get a real bike or at least one that had sealed bottom berrings.
    Well needless to say with in a week I had a new bike, Highbread-DiamondBack-Maravista. I read lots but only had so much to spend. After having this bike and finishing out the summer with 2500-miles on it I can say I would put it up agenst any brand name bike for quality and strenth. I started out at 240lb's and droped to 195. Felt good and looked good. Now with this said I have to say going through the Maine winter was not easy for me. Also knowing I had to up-grade in order to keep my intrest was eating away, what to get on a limited budget? Will tell you what happened nexted Thread, All.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on losing all that weight and welcome to 50+.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your persistance with the store(s). It paid off. Welcome to the group.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! You've got a lot more miles under your belt than my husband and I put together, and it sounds like we started around the same time. Congratulations! Sounds like you've got the bug but good!!!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kid

Ok, so i gained little weight back but not to much. Goals are what we are talking about. My goal is to get to 185 and stay there. Maby month or so. Hard work and sticking to it will get me there. But you know this new bike my Wife got me can and will do the trick. O'ya i think it will do just fine. Will expound on it later but thanks for all your help to all who travel this site. I have lurned much here and you cant buy- this stuff any cheeeeeper then coming here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kid

Ha, any one reading this stuff. When some one is all wet behind the ears tell them i would, i think. After looking at what i wrote i saw that i said 800-miles in 5-weeks, well the 90 days was correct but that was 800-miles in 10 weeks. The first week i worked up to ten-miles and by the end of the second week i was doing 20=-miles a day. Not bad for a 56-year old on mt-bike ha. well i found it was somthing i liked to do and so it continues. Now i am 57 and have set a goal of 5000-miles this summer. others seem to do this so i will give it a go. Thanks again all.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the weight loss that you can see- and probably feel- There are a lot of benefits for us chronologically advantaged riders. Glad to see that you have taken advantage of some of the improved braincells and got a respectable bike. Now is when the braincells go out the back door though as what bike do you get next? Luckily you seem to have enough sense to realise that riding the bike is the main thing- so don't get too hung up on Not having a top of the range bike. They all work--Hate to say it but even the wally mart bikes are better than nothing. But good bikes are what you make them. Sounds as though you have done that already with the weight loss- so waiting to hear the next installment.

Welcome by the way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. Now that you understand what you like in a bike, it may be time to look at a gently used bike of higher quality.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. I started at 58yo, 4 months later rode my mtn bike on a 7 day "Ride the Rockies" 350+ miles over Colorado passes.

Keep it up. Sounds like you are doing great.

Enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    Welcome to the group. Now that you understand what you like in a bike, it may be time to look at a gently used bike of higher quality.
    Listen to Artk. He knows whereof he speaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Kid

[/INDENT]Ha, I'm baaaack. ( )Well to get on with it we all are different and we all do things different. This is why I find this site so interesting. Some of you are just plain weird an that intrigues me to no end. Dont take offense though because my wife says i'm weird to. So it looks though i'm in the right place. Anyway back to my new bike and how I chose it. Again working with low budget and at the same time drooling over all the great stuff that is out there, one just has to pull in the reins. But this does not mean we have to bight the bullet and settle for something other then the best we can get for our money. Well i desided to look at frame geometry first. [/INDENT]Man can you spend some time serching this stuff. Keeping in mind that I am no spring chicken but at the same time finding that if you are in shape you certainly can ride a spring chicken frame. Anyway after going over many different types i stoped on a relaxed road frame with a slopping top tube. Now that this was done it would come down to picking the frame material with in the budget. Again so much to look at and so many reasions to go with each one of choice. Well I picked Aluminum becaus it had many facters I liked. Lots of rain off and on and i dont like rust but not only for that it is strong to. I did deside to go with "altair-1 aluminum for it's light weight and it's strength along with other facters. [/INDENT]Now that I brought you this far it is only appropriate to go with drop-bars and to deside on gearing. I think anything 21-gears or over would have made me happy, even though the Maravista has 24-speed. At this point it is still about dollors and the best bang for the buck from my point of view. (See next thread)