Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hauled away in an ambulance

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hauled away in an ambulance

Old 04-12-08, 12:56 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has been an enlightening thread. First off I'm glad you're doing better...but I have been thinking lately about getting a HR monitor...I think today I'll head over to my LBS and pull the trigger. Any thoughts on what to look for or brands to stay away from?
Old 04-12-08, 01:25 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Metric Man
This has been an enlightening thread. First off I'm glad you're doing better...but I have been thinking lately about getting a HR monitor...I think today I'll head over to my LBS and pull the trigger. Any thoughts on what to look for or brands to stay away from?
Always been happy with the quality of Polar---- But I am very happy with a basic model that just shows my HR in big letters. Have an all singing- dancing one that I just use in basic mode.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 04-12-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-12-08, 01:40 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donheff
Thanks for all the well wishes. The doctors at the hospital told me to go over this with my regular doctor, as did several of you here. I will do that next week. I will also build up slowly and learn about nutrition and hydration. I recently got a heart monitor -- should have been wearing it. All in all I am feeling back to 100%. I retrieved up my bike this morning and was tempted to go out for a spin but my wife is having none of it. Instead we are going to the Air and Space IMAX out by Dulles to see Shine a Light, the Rolling Stones movie, on the giant screen :-)
Thanks for the update, Don.

Wives are like that......Glad you got your bike back (nice bike) and hope you will keep training and eating and hydrating positively.

Love to do some sensible speed rides when you feel up to it....you set the pace Let me know

Tim The Grampster
Old 04-12-08, 02:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you are fine - that is a good reminder for me, who often forgets to sip the water!
Old 04-12-08, 04:00 PM

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First, glad to hear you're OK, Don! It's surprising how quickly dehydration can bring us down.

Now, if you don't mind a little OT question: what group were you and grampster riding with? I've been meaning to try joining one of the local groups like the Reston Bike Club, but I don't really feel too comfortable about just showing up. Stupid, I know...
Old 04-12-08, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
There are many HR monitors out there, and they are all useful in one way or another. But one that gives off an alarm if you go over the upper zone threshhold you have set might be considered most useful.

I've used a Polar 520 series (a few years ago) and while it was/is quite expensive, it does enable you to upload data to your computer so you can track your improvements (or otherwise), especially if you are intent on building up to a certain pace. It's also useful because it has a fitness test on it, and while not necessarily accurate in terms of comparing you and the rider next to you, it does give you a base line of fitness so you really do know the progress you are making. Achieving a baseline measurement is something many who set out to improve fitness forget to take. Plus, the booklet with my 520 had much useful information on zones.

I currently use a cheap French HR monitor I bought in Paris for 20 euro and while basic, it does the job I want it to do... when I wear it.

Another thought on group rides and preparing for them... there is a temptation to start out with too many layers on. The ideal is to feel chilly at the start. Of course, if there are too many layers, one tends to overheat quite rapidly, producing lots more sweat, and the group never seems to want to stop to shed clothing; of course, if you do, you lose touch.
Old 04-12-08, 05:13 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
And excellent thread for all of us and I too am glad that it has a happy ending as more a warning than anything else.

It was a couple of years back when I was on a ride with a buddy and I bonked. A fairly mild one compared to yours. Some rest, water and a bannana got me back to rights and I finished off the last half of the metric century day we were on. It was still an eye opener though.
Old 04-12-08, 06:14 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm glad you survived the ordeal. I'm only 51 and have been commuting 16+ miles 3 - 5 times a week all year. I'm in deplorable shape and probably couldn't have hung on for 20 miles. Your med tech was correct - you are in good shape.
Old 04-12-08, 06:20 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I'm glad your story has a happy ending. Thanks for sharing it and reminding others to pay attention to water and fuel.
Old 04-12-08, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JimF22003
First, glad to hear you're OK, Don! It's surprising how quickly dehydration can bring us down.

Now, if you don't mind a little OT question: what group were you and grampster riding with? I've been meaning to try joining one of the local groups like the Reston Bike Club, but I don't really feel too comfortable about just showing up. Stupid, I know...
This was a Potomac Peddlers Touring Club ride. It is rated CC, 35 miles (of rolling hills :-). Goes every Friday morning. A great group by the way. PPTC has a boatload of rides every week including some better fit for me to start with.

By the way, Shine a Light was great. The Stones are always awesome but on a 6 story screen - that is the way to watch it.
Old 04-12-08, 08:01 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Glad you're OK. Hydration is so very important and it is surprising how many riders overlook it. What gets me is how often I hear people bragging about how little water they need. I bet we'll never hear donheff making such a pointless boast.

How was the movie? Aren't you afraid that seeing Keef at IMAX size and resolution might bring on a relapse?
Old 04-12-08, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
When I dehydrate my heart goes into atrial fibrillation. My body doesn't get as much oxygen as I need for my activity. I think this only shows up as an elevated heart rate on my monitor. You need better equipment for that. Stay hydrated.
Old 04-12-08, 08:46 PM
another cat...FAB!

Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok; I know I sometimes wonder why my riding companians all use Camelbaks - this is one good reason - consistent hydration. Keep an eye on SteepandCheap.com as they have some great deals on Hydration pack closeouts.
Old 04-12-08, 10:01 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Always been happy with the quality of Polar---- But I am very happy with a basic model that just shows my HR in big letters. Have an all singing- dancing one that I just use in basic mode.
I picked up a Polar F6...probably more than I need but it was only $20 more than the basic F2.
Old 04-13-08, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad all is ok. I too have found that staying in shape and staying in cycling shape are different animals. First real group ride of the season and I was dropped like a stone. Usually can hang with the guys but did not ride as much over the winter due to the weather, etc.
Old 04-13-08, 01:01 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was a Potomac Peddlers Touring Club ride. It is rated CC, 35 miles (of rolling hills :-). URL="https://www.bikepptc.org/"]PPTC[/URL] has a boatload of rides every week including some better fit for me to start with.
Glad you're ok. My one experience with PPTC was that the ride was actually several MPH faster than stated--it was supposed to be a 12-14 mph, but my average at the end was 13.7 and I was one of the last ones back. This was a 40 mile ride in the Poolesville area. I never did another PPTC ride.

I tried to find a cue sheet on the PPTC web site for the ride you did Friday, but couldn't. Were you riding in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center/Patuxent Wildlife Refuge area?
Old 04-13-08, 01:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Originally Posted by divingbiker
I tried to find a cue sheet on the PPTC web site for the ride you did Friday, but couldn't. Were you riding in the Beltsville Agricultural Research Center/Patuxent Wildlife Refuge area?
Yes, the ride was in the Beltsville area. I have the cue sheet and made it public as a Google Document if you want a copy. Here it is. It was a nice ride. I plan to do it with my wife soon.
Old 04-13-08, 01:17 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the ride was in the Beltsville area. I have the cue sheet and made it public as a Google Document if you want a copy. Here it is. It was a nice ride. I plan to do it with my wife soon.
Thanks for the cue sheet...I'll have to do that route sometime! I love riding in that area. It makes you feel like you're in the country, even though you're not. This morning I parked at the REI in College Park and rode out to the Wildlife Refuge and into Bowie, 38 miles total. Probably slower than your group went.
Old 04-13-08, 02:54 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by divingbiker
Glad you're ok. My one experience with PPTC was that the ride was actually several MPH faster than stated--it was supposed to be a 12-14 mph, but my average at the end was 13.7 and I was one of the last ones back. This was a 40 mile ride in the Poolesville area. I never did another PPTC ride.

The folks who lead the Weekend Warmup are experienced and very careful leaders and make sure we re-group often (every 3-5 miles)and leave no one behind. The main group rides at a 12-14 pace, often slower in hot weather. there are two rest stops usually lasting 20 minutes of so. The longest leg is the first one and it is about 12 miles. This is a great ride with a really friendly group--ending with lunch in downtown Greenbelt.

I agree that many (many) of the PPTC rides are faster than advertised, but this one sticks to its guns and rides at the reported pace. Last Friday, my Garmin made the pace 13.4 (excluding the rest stops). Give it a try, we would love to have you
Old 04-13-08, 03:14 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc20010
The folks who lead the Weekend Warmup are experienced and very careful leaders and make sure we re-group often (every 3-5 miles)and leave no one behind. The main group rides at a 12-14 pace, often slower in hot weather. there are two rest stops usually lasting 20 minutes of so. The longest leg is the first one and it is about 12 miles. This is a great ride with a really friendly group--ending with lunch in downtown Greenbelt.

I agree that many (many) of the PPTC rides are faster than advertised, but this one sticks to its guns and rides at the reported pace. Last Friday, my Garmin made the pace 13.4 (excluding the rest stops). Give it a try, we would love to have you
I have every other Friday off, so I might just have to join you!
Old 04-13-08, 03:15 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Back to that heart monitor.

I recently got a Garmin Edge 305. This has a Monitor built into it and although I don't use the function to its best ability- It does everything you could want it to. One of the problems I have is cockpit space- Computer- Heart monitor and light. Theres nowhere to put my hands. Since changing to the Garmin- I only have the light on the bars- The garmin goes on the stem- but I have an HRM- Computer- Altitude meter- Cadence sensor and it is all downloadable and all in one unit. It actually cost less that My heart monitor as the new models are coming out and they are currently very cheap.

And remember- A heart monitor is only usefull if you know what your range should be- and if you wear it. I use it as a training aid and in this respect- It keeps telling I am not working hard enough.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-13-08, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by tlc20010

I agree wholeheartedly with Grampster DivingBiker. This was a very good group to ride with. They are out for a fun "weekend warm-up" not a race. I didn't feel like the pace was faster than advertised, just a little faster than me. This was my first group ride and I wasn't sure how to evaluate what the classifications mean. In retrospect, I should probably have tried a few Cs or even D/Cs to start before a CC. I emailed the group leaders before I went to make sure I would have a cue sheet and could bail rather than hold the group back if I couldn't keep up. But I never recognized that I needed to bail - the "bonk" snuck up on me. And when it did, everyone stayed with me until my bike was secured and I was safely "hauled away." I will definitely join the group again after I am sure I am at a level where I won't have a repeat performance.
Old 04-13-08, 03:23 PM
red bikes rule!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't feel like the pace was faster than advertised, just a little faster than me. This was my first group ride and I wasn't sure how to evaluate what the classifications mean. In retrospect, I should probably have tried a few Cs or even D/Cs to start before a CC.
Well, my average today in the same area was slower than tlc's 13.4 mph by a little bit, so I may not be ready for a CC ride yet, either. That's mainly why I don't do group rides...I'm not sure I can keep up, and while I am not concerned about being slow, I hate to hold the group back waiting on me.