Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're gonna have a flat . . .

. . . Have one like I just had -- in my own garage.

I went out to ride yesterday and found my front tire completely flat. Took it apart and found that the tube had failed at the base of the valve stem, a tiny pin-hole there. Well, the tube had about 1,100 miles on it without a problem so guess I couldn't complain. Got the spare tube out of the bike bag and had it changed in about 20 minutes, but that was 20 minutes of riding time lost.

I guess I should be a bit more careful in pulling the pump head off the presta valve after airing up before each ride. And I think I'll replace the rear tube as preventative maintenance, as it's the same age. If it fails I may not be as lucky about where I am when it goes pffffffffft.
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best place to have a flat

Another good time to have one is out on the trail with a load of mates. Judge the mates right and a quick service will be done on the bike by one member, while another couple change the tube for you.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing happened to me last week accept on the rear tire. Really nice to fix it in the garage on the stand rather on the road.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Same thing happened to me last week accept on the rear tire. Really nice to fix it in the garage on the stand rather on the road.
    It's always nice to be able to reinflate the tire with a proper floor pump rather than whatever you carry with you on the bike too.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a klutz and kept having problems with damaging Presta valves. I gave up, drilled my rims for Schraeder, no more problems. I know they're not as chic, but they sure are more durable.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokes man View Post
    . . . Have one like I just had -- in my own garage.
    - ha ha! had this happen at least once in the last two years... one time was after a 22-miler through a graffiti-laced No-Man's Land...

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - timing is indeed everything. I have had two flats in two years. The first was when I took it back to the shop for the 90-day adjustment. It wasn't flat when I took it in, but they managed to make it so and changed it for me

My second flat was in my garage as you had. Here's to a lifetime of good luck

My Bikes
    Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday bike (also fun bike)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I can beat those. Did a metric century a couple of years ago, with the last 60km in warm but driving rain. The next morning I get the bike out for a shorter ride, and the rear tire is flat as the proverbial pancake. So I fixed it in glorious sunshine ahead of the ride, with the floor pump ready to get it up to nice full pressure.

Just imagine what it would have felt like fixing that sucker on the ride, when I was already tired and cold, the big hill is coming, and I was soaked to the skin. Really wet bike shorts are seriously unpleasant -- makes you realise what babies in diapers feel like.
    Zero gallons to the mile

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just take another bike. It's nice to have spares....
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's an enviable predicament, then you have my envy.

Wednesday I flatted 7 miles from home, at the end of a 40-miler. I had all the tools to fix my flat, and was prepared to do so, until I realized that the CO2 cartridge didn't screw into the pump. Feh!

I'd much rather have had a flat at home.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudicca View Post
    Just imagine what it would have felt like fixing that sucker on the ride, when I was already tired and cold, the big hill is coming, and I was soaked to the skin.
    And I thought I was lucky . . . THAT is lucky!
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Wednesday I flatted 7 miles from home, at the end of a 40-miler. I had all the tools to fix my flat, and was prepared to do so, until I realized that the CO2 cartridge didn't screw into the pump. Feh!
    Uggghhh! So how did you extricate yourself from that predicament, RR?
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uggghhh! So how did you extricate yourself from that predicament, RR?
    It shames me to admit this -- I called a friend and walked 1-1/4 mi. before she arrived. I had 2 ginormous pick-me-up trucks stop and offer a ride. Nice to know that I still have that effect on drivers, I mean, that people are so kind.

Lesson learned: Don't leave home without trying out the new equipment first.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Rider-

On our rideson the MTB's-We used to see a lone girl rider going in the other direction. Never noticed any other riders- but pehaps they never stood out as much as the girl did. Then one morning- there were about 3 riders up ahead with one of the bikes upside down. As we approached 4 other single riders approached and stopped. When we got to them- it was the girls bike that was upside down and 2 male riders were repairing her bike. As we approached- we asked if all was OK and the girl replied "Perfect" its only a puncture.

Where these other riders came from I just don't know- but a girl in distress seemed to draw the other bikers out of the woodwork.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Neil_B
    I had a flat Friday morning as I took the bike from the car. Yes, I had the floor pump in the trunk.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride Schwalbe Marathon XR Evolutions. What's a flat? LOL

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

My Bikes
    Roleigh SC7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tomorrow you will know what a flat. lol
    I can , I will , I did it cooool

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It shames me to admit this -- I called a friend and walked 1-1/4 mi. before she arrived. I had 2 ginormous pick-me-up trucks stop and offer a ride. Nice to know that I still have that effect on drivers, I mean, that people are so kind.

No shame there; that's what friends are for. And the kindness of passerby.

Good idea about giving new gear a short trial run first.
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richjac View Post
    Yes - timing is indeed everything.......My second flat was in my garage as you had.

+1
    Went out to take a ride this evening and found a flat front tire - failure was around where the stem meets the rim. I changed that one but when I went to inflate the new tube, it had an immediate failure and wouldn't hold air. Not sure if that one was a defective tube or due to 'user error' on the installation.

This was after having 2, count 'em, 2 rear flats on Saturday's commute.
    I have been riding a little over a year and never had to change a flat before this. Ah well.... I guess the honeymoon's over!

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I should be a bit more careful in pulling the pump head off the presta valve after airing up before each ride. And I think I'll replace the rear tube as preventative maintenance, as it's the same age. If it fails I may not be as lucky about where I am when it goes pffffffffft.
    Yes, the area near the valve base can be easily damaged. You might try this:

Take a small piece (about 1" square) of the heaviest tube material you have, punch a hole in the middle of it with a paper punch, and place it on the valve stem just prior to insertion through the rim. It provides a bit of a barrier between the valve hole edge and the the tube. It won't totally eliminate valve base damage, but it sure helps...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy View Post
    Yes, the area near the valve base can be easily damaged. You might try this:

Take a small piece (about 1" square) of the heaviest tube material you have, punch a hole in the middle of it with a paper punch, and place it on the valve stem just prior to insertion through the rim. It provides a bit of a barrier between the valve hole edge and the the tube. It won't totally eliminate valve base damage, but it sure helps...
    I like it, thanks for the tip.
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am even more convinced than ever that most flats occur at home, we just remember the ones on the road more. I think it is due to the fact that certain types of flats are as likely when the bike is being used than not.

For example, weakened stems... We may weaken them when we inflate the tires, but the actual leak can develop any time... during the 2 or 3 hour ride, or during the 21 or 22 hours between rides.

I have been very blessed... During the past several years, I have had 4 flats that I remember. One I picked up a goats head right at the end of a ride. two were due to a bad rim strip (one on the front, and one on the rear) and one due to valve stem damage. Three of these happened at home... two of them I even heard (though the first one I didn't realize what it ws until later), these were when I kept my bike in my studio apartment.

Of course, I usually ride puncture resistant tires, so this may be part of what has made me lucky.

Having said this, I fully expect to have to fix my first road-side flat in the next week or two.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's an enviable predicament, then you have my envy.

I'd much rather have had a flat at home.
    I had a similar problem with C02 last year. I had a 16g inflator and a 12g cartridge. After assessing the situation I determined a small pebble in the bottom on the inflator should allow the cartridge to engage properly. Well.....I chose a pebble that was just a tad too big. It allowed the cartridge to engage but not seat properly and the C02 shot out cooling everyone within a couple feet

I now check the size of the cartridge when I pick it up at the LBS.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good one. Every one of my bikes has its own repair kit and you remind me that the Roubaix has a new, untested pump on it. I will use it to top off my tires before today's ride.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the lock ring on the inside of the rim.
    When you pull off the the pump head the tube will not move.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast