Thread: Muscle Groups

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscle Groups

After riding now for almost 2 years I've noticed that my upper leg muscles have gotten rock hard and my calves have firmed slightly but they haven't really changed much. When I ride I never "feel" it in my calves, just the quads. Am I not pedeling correctly? Seat adjustment? Any thoughts? There's no pain anywhere, it's just an observation.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many miles are your longer rides-and are there many hills?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride 15-20 miles 3 or 4 times a week and try to get in a 30+ on Saturdays. We are in a hilly area, I'll see an elevation change, depending on the route, of about 1500' to 2500'.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally my upper legs get a lot more tired than my lower legs. Although I've gotten cramps all over my legs-including muscles I never knew existed. I suspect that even though you might have clipless pedals you tend to "mash" a lot more than pull through towards the lower half of the pedaling stroke. Regardless I think what you're experiencing is what most of us experience. Congrats on the rock hard quads!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only riding for two years so you have just about got bike fit. It does take that long to get the body to adapt to using the muscles in a different way on a bike. Now bike riding will get you fit- and you will find muscles you never realised you had- but there are still muscle groups that should be worked on to improve your fitness.

Don't do it all the time- but when the weather gets a bit bad in the winter- I start going to the gym. Work on the upper body to improve shoulder strenth. Work on the neck as I this can get lazy and also the same on the back. BUT I am a cyclist- of course I have strong legs. So how is it that the young lads made of skin and bone can use the leg machines with heavier weight and do more repititions than I do. They don't ride- and probably the only exercise they get is by going to the gym. Fact is that we can always improve on what we have got and that can be done by doing a different exercise. Ever tried walking on a treadmill at 6mph up the steepest incline it has? It hurts and will soon show you your calves aren't strong enough- Same with the Various leg exercise machines.

So just a suggestion- get down the Gym- Or start walking a couple of miles aday at a fast pace- or use the stairs to get to the 10th floor of your work place instead of the lift. Just try a different exercise routine and see how the riding will improve.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    I ride 15-20 miles 3 or 4 times a week and try to get in a 30+ on Saturdays. We are in a hilly area, I'll see an elevation change, depending on the route, of about 1500' to 2500'.
    Is that change up or down? Lamb Canyon to San Jacinto ain't much of a workout. OTOH, going back to Beaumont is.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad6mj View Post
    Is that change up or down? Lamb Canyon to San Jacinto ain't much of a workout. OTOH, going back to Beaumont is.
    True enough. I always try to go up on the way out and that makes for easier trip back. Cherry Valley makes for some nice climbs
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you stand while climbing you use your calf muscles more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the latest developments in cleat placement is mid-sole. Causes you to use more of your main muscle groups in the upper legs, and calf muscles quite a bit less. Info is found several places, look in the cyclingnews.com archive at http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...8/letters04-08. Maybe you're just ahead of the curve!
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."