Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ready to buy.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ready to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-08, 06:25 PM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale synopse 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ready to buy.

Ok, so i'm ready to buy a bike, will probably spend around $1800 on it, but less if i can. How much (if any) is the price negotiable on LBS. It's been so long since i bought a new bike i can't recall ever dealing with them on price.
Old 04-07-08, 07:50 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$1800 ... I believe that was TruF's criteria to get a "high end" road bike.

Take some time to look around ... don't buy the first pretty thing that flashes its bottom bracket at you.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-07-08, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Older and slow moving models are negotiable. Otherwise prices usually aren't. Markup's on bikes is low and stores need to make a profit. Otherwise they don't stay in business.
Old 04-07-08, 08:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If you can't get the price down (and even if you do), other negotiating points are:

- credit for swapping out components at time of purchase (you pay difference, if any, in retail price)
- discount on any/all accessories purchased at time of bike purchase
Old 04-07-08, 08:08 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
$1800 ... I believe that was TruF's criteria to get a "high end" road bike.

Take some time to look around ... don't buy the first pretty thing that flashes its bottom bracket at you.
A statistician and a historian!

You asked in that earlier thread where I came up with that number. I think it was because I remember it was the price of the Portland and the Ruby Comp, both "high end" bikes to me after spending a little over $400 for my Trek hybrid. I didn't just pull it out of my hat, but admit to a newby's rationality.
Old 04-07-08, 08:36 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
You definitely want to look for the previous model year's leftovers, if available, and to shop around. The one and only time I bought a new bike was in 1971, for the princely sum of $150, and prices back then were "fair traded" and essentially non-negotiable.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-07-08, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get alot of bike today for $1800. Pro riders of 10 years ago would have killed for what is on a $1500 bike today. I would look at Felt, Jamis, and even GT. I looked at some carbon frame GT's my LBS just got in and was impressed.
Old 04-07-08, 09:32 PM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good points. Another one- this is the time of year when many LBS are moving out old stock, so you can often deal on these bikes much more aggressively than new models. Also, many LBS reduce the prices on new stock to get people in the store for the start of the new season.
Old 04-08-08, 07:55 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
You can get a lot of bike today for $1800. ...
Yes, I would think so.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-08-08, 08:13 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"My momma tol' me......you better shop around"
Old 04-08-08, 08:32 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
If you can't get the price down (and even if you do), other negotiating points are:

- credit for swapping out components at time of purchase (you pay difference, if any, in retail price)
- discount on any/all accessories purchased at time of bike purchase
+1

This is exactly what I got when I bought the new Trek 520. I received a slight discount on the bike and we negotiated on the upgrades. The labor for installing the new upgrades was free in exchange for the LBS keeping a couple of the exchanged parts. Parts not included in the exchange will be sold on eBay and I'll receive 90% of the sale price. I also received a discount on the bike computer, taillights and trunk bag.

I don't like selling on eBay so this was a good option for me. They're even going to sell the triple crank and cassette off the Madone for me. These parts have been sitting in my garage for the past year gathering dust.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-08-08, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At the risk of telling you what you already know, keep track of the first three priorities for a new bike:
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]

Poor fit has consigned many a fine bike to the garage and, even worse, many a fine person to the couch. A $400 bike that fits you just right is better than a $7,000 ride that does not.
Old 04-08-08, 11:24 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinDizzy
Ok, so i'm ready to buy a bike, will probably spend around $1800 on it, but less if i can. How much (if any) is the price negotiable on LBS. It's been so long since i bought a new bike i can't recall ever dealing with them on price.
Take a long breath- and Think again. So far you have done it all wrong. You are asking for suggestions before you buy the bike. FATAL. You will now get so confused with the options you will get that you will give up on cycling and take up tiddleywinks.

Go out and Find the LBS and ask about 07 models. Then come back with the options and get the 100 suggestions.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-08-08, 12:29 PM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, as said above the most important thing about a new bike is fit, fit, and fit. That being said, some stores have deals from time to time on certain of last year's models and other stores do not. I have heard that bike shops do not make a big margin on the bike. They make their margins on repairs, maintenance, clothes and accessories.
Old 04-08-08, 12:37 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are some unbelievable sales at Performance.

The new 2008 Scattante's are Fuji carbon frames with nicer components for the dollar.

Did some one mention - FIT! Have fun and post pics of the new bike!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-09-08, 03:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpinDizzy
$1800 is a serious price so some negotiation should be available. It does all depend on the manufacturer but Look at some of the 07 bikes. These can be had pretty cheaply- up to 1/3 off. but choose the model carefully. If you choose right- you can get the same spec as the 08 bike- but in a different colour. It is a ling time since I had to negotiate on price on a new bike. I am lucky in that my LBS treat me right and I don't have to ask for retail price- just what it will cost me.

It might be worth finding the bike you want- then looking on-line to find out what prices are available there. I would never buy a Bike or clothing online- but once you know what is available at what price- then go back to the shop and see if they can come near the price.

Just don't expect a discount on the new 08 models. They are not fully available yet so discounts are not on. But if I had to have the new model- full retail price- but I would expect a bit of fit arranging- change of stem and saddle to suit- and I would expect to get a wedge with tube- repair kit and levers.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-13-08, 07:45 AM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale synopse 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for your input. I bought the Cannondale Synopse 5 Compact Yesterday (will not be delivered until next week) got the red/black frame, and now looking forward to getting some rides in when it arrives. Thanks again all for your valuable input.