User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes It's the Little Things! Thanks Andrea

Last week we went by to pick up some things from Mariners Resource Center that could possibly be sold at another non profit. One of the guys that works there, Booker, has completed the Teen Challenge Program. He had a bike, but he gave it to a kid who was less fortunate (Booker is living in a Teen Challenge House and has nothing). That left him with no transportation except walking and paying for bus. Someone gave him a mid - 90's Specialized Rockhopper. The tires were literally thread bare, brakes shot, grip shifters shot (that was another thread) and the seat was tattered and torn.

Performance was having a great sale and we picked up new V brakes (it originally had canti's but they weren't on sale), brake levers, tires, tubes, rack. I found some inexpensive new grip shifters (friction shifters with numbers) a bike light and a rack trunk.

The bike was outfitted with a new Selle Italia Respiro Saddle. The saddle was compliments of Brooks England and Selle Italia thanks to Andrea. Thanks Andrea! Booker loves the new saddle and even in today's 95 degree weather the saddle was not even warm to the touch after setting out in the sun. Selle Italia - Thank You!

Many on this thread are fortunate enough to be able to afford the latest and greatest in equipment, but I will bet that none are any happier than Booker or could have shown anymore joy than him with a working bike. To him it means freedom and the ability to go to work, run errands and do other things where he had to rely on the bus, walking or someone giving him a ride.

Last edited by fthomas; 04-14-08 at 12:42 AM.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. Booker seems like a quality young man that will benefit from your work. That prize winning smile makes it all worthwhile.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred, thank you for sharing a wonderful story. Booker looks like a delightful young man and his smile is worth a thousand words. What a wonderful opportunity for you to do something with a bike that really counts.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes a change to maintain bikes for others that you know will be appreciated. All too often the work is not appreciated and you know you will be working on the bike again soon. Looking at this lad- that bike is going to have a hard time. He is going to use that bike a heck of a lot and I don't think he has much fat to lose either. Find a friendly LBS to enable the wheels to be checked out shortly.

Good job for a good cause so well done.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam - no much fat on the guy. Booker's arms are as big as my thighs. 215 lbs of muscle! He loves to ride and lost his first bike by getting hit by a Ford F 150. Santa Ana, Ca is not exactly bicycle friendly. Couple of cracked ribs. Now if I can just talk him into wearing a helmet! He spent all morning with some steel wool going over every inch of the thing. It actually is a pretty good looking bike for its' age. My real hope is that it doesn't get stolen. There are a lot of gangs and some just not so nice folks in that area.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas View Post
    Stapfam - no much fat on the guy. Booker's arms are as big as my thighs. 215 lbs of muscle! He loves to ride and lost his first bike by getting hit by a Ford F 150. Santa Ana, Ca is not exactly bicycle friendly. Couple of cracked ribs. Now if I can just talk him into wearing a helmet! He spent all morning with some steel wool going over every inch of the thing. It actually is a pretty good looking bike for its' age. My real hope is that it doesn't get stolen. There are a lot of gangs and some just not so nice folks in that area.
    Your two worries are exactly what I was thinking. He just has to get a helmet- and as for the bike getting stolen- just put a pic of him on the Handlebars- If I saw the owner of that bike- there is no way I would like to tangle with him. Just remind him that if he doesn't have his butt on the saddle- keep it indoors where he works. Do not leave it anywhere that it could walk from.

And tell Booker- we want to hear from him on this forum. Providing he buys the pie- He is welcome here anytime. (Or put it this way- If he wants to do something-I ain't standing in his way)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan