User Tag List

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First group ride

Today I went out with my buddy & a group of 8 people including me. It was a small group but I call it my first group ride. We had 4 gals & 4 guys, but two of them are really good riders but Tim said he doesn't get to ride like that often & was having as much fun as we were.

He would ride up the hill, then turn around & go back to the last rider & ride with them up to the top.

I had a blast even though we did two "BIG" hill climbs over Horsetooth Lake & Carter Lake. I was very happy for how well I was able to keep up, I learned what it is like being able to draft & how to ride side by side when possible & ride single file.

We ended up going 50 miles in three & a half hours with a few stops. I was disappointed with my max speed of 38.8 because I thought I was going a lot faster on some of the down hills.

Tim said I was doing well & that I shouldn't have any trouble with my century in June.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ride, good company, plenty of enjoyment. What more could you want?

Terrific to hear that you enjoyed it so much. Riding in a group is way different to riding on your own, and I've also been enjoying learning the 'how' of it.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was surprised at all the hand signals they use & how fast you really can go in a group. The drafting was really cool because you could just set back there & coast.

One of the gals wasn't eating like she should & she bonked (I think that is what they call it) She is a runner & knows when she needs to eat running, but she is new at biking so I got to learn about that as well. I really try & drink my water & today I added something to my water that the good riders have at there house.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    w2,
    Group rides are not infrequently a topic of discussion here in la-la land. You will find a variety of opinions both for and against. I like small group rides (meaning 2-8 riders) primarily for the social aspect particularly on longer rides. Shorter rides I'll do happily with or without company. Additionally, a well organized charity ride can be a lot of fun. It gives a chance to meet new people and as you say learn some new tricks. Enjoy the century.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    I was surprised at all the hand signals they use & how fast you really can go in a group.
    The few group rides I've been on were more social activity than anything else. Riding a hybrid with wider tyres, I was surprised to see people waving their hands at and calling out about little patches of gravel and other 'obstacles' that I'd ride straight through without thinking about it!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    I was surprised to see people waving their hands at and calling out about little patches of gravel and other 'obstacles' that I'd ride straight through without thinking about it!

Once you start riding those skinny tires you'll appreciate the calling out of obstacles My biggest nightmare are the little cracks that run parallel to the road. Those things can eat one of those skinny tires and send you flying across the road in an instant
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the first group ride. Learning from more experienced riders is a good way to improve your riding skills. I know I appreciate the lessons I've learned from riding with other club members.

That century shouldn't be a problem
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith