User Tag List

My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller, Specialized Sirrus, KHS Solo SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a bike for my dad

So my mom and sister want me to go in with them on a bike for my dad for father's day or his birthday. He's going to be 64, and this is his current bike:

Personally, I love the bike. It could use a little TLC, but I think it could be restored to great condition. HOWEVER, my sis and mom want to get him a new bike, which I'm cool with too (that probably means I can take his old bike!!)

So I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some bikes with the same kind of style: upright, comfortable, classy-looking. Same/similar kind of handlebars, big comfy seat, etc.. Price isn't much of an object, so I'm open to pretty much any suggestion, I'm just kind of interested in seeing what's available.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll buy the old bike. I love it!

What kind of riding does your dad do, or perhaps might want to do?

That questioned needs to be answered first!

What a neat family.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would add to DnvrFox's question...Does your dad "really" like this bike? if so maybe the 'make it new again' would be good. How is his health, with your family I'm thinking it is good. Would he like a crank forward...for the slow leasurely ride or something a bit more sporty for more exercize?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    What kind of riding does your dad do, or perhaps might want to do?
    Ah, right. Just casual riding around a MUP or whatever. Maybe very occasionally on a road, but not very likely. My sis and I both got pretty heavily into biking (she's into triathlons, I'm into mashing around to bars on my fixed gear), and we want to bring our bikes home this summer and take our dad probably out to the Pine Creek Rail Trail.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    I would add to DnvrFox's question...Does your dad "really" like this bike? if so maybe the 'make it new again' would be good. How is his health, with your family I'm thinking it is good. Would he like a crank forward...for the slow leasurely ride or something a bit more sporty for more exercize?
    I don't think he's too attached to the bike. It's been in the garage for years and only came out when I got interested in biking when I was younger (drifted out of it near the end of HS, picked it up again last year). I'm thinking more leisurely, but maybe not TOO much. He does exercise, but I think he'd rather have it for casual riding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gharding View Post
    I don't think he's too attached to the bike. It's been in the garage for years and only came out when I got interested in biking when I was younger (drifted out of it near the end of HS, picked it up again last year). I'm thinking more leisurely, but maybe not TOO much. He does exercise, but I think he'd rather have it for casual riding.
    Trails, road? MUPS? Short rides. Long rides? Dirt surface - paved surface?

I am assuming he would be riding MUPS or residential streets.

I would think a hybrid would be just about perfect.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may think casual but if he gets a nice modern bike under him he may go animal on ya.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, if he got interested when you, the kids, came out...he may want to really make good use of his "retirement" Is he going to help in the choice or is this a suprize.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will he be climbing any hills? small? big? steep?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some bikes with the same kind of style: upright, comfortable, classy-looking. Same/similar kind of handlebars, big comfy seat, etc.. Price isn't much of an object, so I'm open to pretty much any suggestion, I'm just kind of interested in seeing what's available.
    Taken the bits I like the sound of so see attchments.

Sounds like a hybrid is required and lots of those about but general information for new bikers- OR new bike- Is first find your Local bike shop (LBS) and then test ride as many as you can.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2006 Giant TCR Comp2, 2003 Giant Iguana, Formerly a 1982(?) Allegro Ninja, now known as "the 'Coon", 1999 Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, right. Just casual riding around a MUP or whatever. Maybe very occasionally on a road, but not very likely. My sis and I both got pretty heavily into biking (she's into triathlons, I'm into mashing around to bars on my fixed gear), and we want to bring our bikes home this summer and take our dad probably out to the Pine Creek Rail Trail.
    What's a MUP? is that a dumb question?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Multi Use Path

I think, given all you have stated that a hybrid would be best. There are numerous ones available - Trek, Specialized, Raleigh, etc.

It would be great if he could be involved in selecting the bike. He needs to ride several to see what he likes and if it fits him.

They start about $400

My wife (70 yo) has a Trek hybrid and likes it very much.

A hybrid would meet his needs for a bit if he decided he really liked bicycling. It can be fitted with faster tires, etc.

Don't discount the possibility. Lot's of us folks here 65+ ride road bikes, etc. He could surprise you.

As STAPFAM said, get a good dealer who takes some time with the fit, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    It would be great if he could be involved in selecting the bike. He needs to ride several to see what he likes and if it fits him.

Don't discount the possibility. Lot's of us folks here 65+ ride road bikes, etc. He could surprise you.
    Yeah, he's definitely going to be involved, but I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. I never really looked too deep into good comfortable bikes.

I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid (the low end one, about $450 I think) and I didn't like it. Wasn't comfortable to me, and the parts were pretty low-end.

There has to be someone that makes a nice vintage-styled bike. Like basically what he has now, but.. new. All the current hybrids don't have that classy look to them.

And I REALLY doubt my dad would want anything with drops. Bad back, hernias, and he's more leisurely anyways (a nature guy, not a big sport guy).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, he's definitely going to be involved, but I'm trying to get a feel for what's out there. I never really looked too deep into good comfortable bikes.

I have a Specialized Sirrus hybrid (the low end one, about $450 I think) and I didn't like it. Wasn't comfortable to me, and the parts were pretty low-end.

There has to be someone that makes a nice vintage-styled bike. Like basically what he has now, but.. new. All the current hybrids don't have that classy look to them.

And I REALLY doubt my dad would want anything with drops. Bad back, hernias, and he's more leisurely anyways (a nature guy, not a big sport guy).
    Despite your reservations- Ride Before you decide.

A Lot of the hybrids are extremely comfortable. Bars like that are available but the Modern Straight bar is just as well positioned- "Ergonomically" to make for a good hand position. Think you may have problems with the saddle as Armchairs don't get used often nowadays. I wish I could pass it onto you in a sealed envelope so No- one can see what I am suggesting- But a Brooks saddle may be on the cards.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan