Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, man, I hate getting all excited about a buy...

...only to be disappointed when it arrives.
    My new Speedplay Zeros landed on my door step yesterday. I don't know why, exactly, but I'm really excited about these pedals even after reading a gazillion comments about them being picky, finnicky, tempermental, fussy... whatever... But after being assured by Speedplay support that they do fit PI Vagabond R3s, I ordered a pair and started throwing the cleats onto my shoes lat night. The instructions are quite clear that sometimes the cleat doesn't quite fit the PI sole and can warp a bit so they actually provide a shim to mitigate that. But what I saw didn't look like a warping issue, more like the cleat base plate is just wider than my sole or maybe just misaligned. The rear, inside corner of the base plate sticks out by about 1/8" or so, so that the corner hangs out "free" and the base plate is not in full contact with my shoe. The curve looks good and Speedplay assures me that all I need to do is insert that shim (the lack of which doesn't appear to be the problem). To their credit, they asked me to take some pix and send them to them but it looks like I won't be riding these pedals tomorrow night as I'd hoped. I really don't want to send them back but it's looking like I need to either just stick with my A520 SPDs or look for another option. Phooey!
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cleat hanging over the edge of the sole is not a problem. My looks and my speedplays both do it, on 3 different brands of shoes. The only cleat that doesn't hang over the edge are my SPDs.

Yes, I really do have 4 pairs of bike shoes. Sidi w/ look, PI w/ look, Lake w/ speedplay and performance w/ SPD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyp View Post
    The cleat hanging over the edge of the sole is not a problem. My looks and my speedplays both do it, on 3 different brands of shoes. The only cleat that doesn't hang over the edge are my SPDs.

Yes, I really do have 4 pairs of bike shoes. Sidi w/ look, PI w/ look, Lake w/ speedplay and performance w/ SPD.
    Yeah, it's such a small overhang that I didn't think it to be a real problem other than the loss of a tiny, tiny bit of "contact patch". It does seem a little untidy, though... but, then, those speedplay cleats are pretty ungainly anyway, overhang or no...

I sort of wasn't prepared for that after living with those dinky little SPDs all this time.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear it's not just me! I have some old Shimano shoes with LOOK cleats, some newer Shimano shoes with SPR-R cleats, some older Lake shoes with SPD cleats plus a pair of SIDI's and a newer pair of Lake shoes with SPD-L cleats.

Worse yet, I have bikes and pedals for each, and have to keep track of what goes with what!

Back to the Original Post, yes, some overhang is no problem even though it does look a bit untidy.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SKT,
    Like Digital Gee before you, I fear you may have angered the SPD gods! If you continue down this path, you may be the subject of mockery from your well-heeled fellow 50+ riders who find SPD cleats to be subtle, tidy and effective...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bench grinder seems just the ticket to tidy this situation right up.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Long Haul Trucker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wished,,,just once, I could put a pair of cleats on without having to do anything, but it takes a couple days for me to get everything right.
    I hate cars,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they're on. Installed the pedals tonight and just finished mounting the cleats.
    It all seems to work; they click in (with a pretty stout step), they release (a lot easier than I thought) and they seem solid enough when engaged. That was just spinning around backwards standing still in the garage. Tomorrow I guess I'll take 'em out on the road and see what happens. I'm sure they'll need some fine tuning but it's a start.

First impressions? Well you do really have to step down -hard- to engage these suckers but, once engaged, they feel very secure. Clicking out feels very, very smooth and easy; certainly no worse than SPDs... maybe even easier than SPDs.

Here's a look at the cleat "overhang"
    Granted this is a pretty extreme placement of the base plate and it's not where I have it now. The overhang is actually quite small as I have them currently mounted. I have no idea yet if where they are is where I will keep them.

Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 04-16-08 at 12:16 AM.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like shifting the cleat all the way forward may remove the "unsightly" overhang. Wish it was as easy to remove unwanted pounds above my belt!!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No offense intended, but you might be the male version of Imelda Marcos for the 50+ Thread! Four pairs of shoes! Wow! Again, no offense intended, but do you decide what to ride based on what shoe you want to wear or what bike you want to ride then the shoes?
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems fine to me. My Looks overhang more than that.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed that Speedplay wanted some pictures. That's a level of problem solving and customer support that is pretty good. As others have said, some hangover isn't a problem. I've got several pairs of road shoes, all with Speedplay cleats, and there is a bit of overhang on just one of the pairs. It hasn't caused any problems in over 6000 miles.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, buttressed by your support, I am soldiering onward. Tonight is the first road test. I'm excited

Regarding Speedplay's support, I have found them to be pretty darn responsive so far but just because they asked for -and were sent- pictures I guess that doesn't necessarily mean I'll hear back from them.
    More as it develops...

I gave Speedplay a followup call this morning to let them know I emailed the pix
    They checked them and called me back with 10 minutes (can't beat that kind of response). The verdict is that, even at worst (what you see in the photos above) there is no problem. There is still plenty of contact are on the shoe and nothing's going to break. Good to go.
    Last edited by SaiKaiTai; 04-16-08 at 01:08 PM.