Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first commute.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My first commute.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 05:33 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute.

I just finished the first half of my first commute. Rode 11.5 miles with my friend who has been commuting for years. Temp was mid 30's and route has some medium hills. Did it in 45 minutes and feel great.
The weaher this afternoon should be high 60,s. I am trying a different route home. Tommorrow I'll be on my own, but I think I am hooked.
Old 04-16-08, 06:11 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shmulb
I just finished the first half of my first commute.

I always wanted to commute by bike but it's just not possible with my daily route. Besides....I'm retiring this year and won't have the daily drive

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-16-08, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

I can't say I'm a hard core commuter, but I'm going to try and do more of that this year. Only 4 round trips last year, which is much less than some years. Right now, I'm waiting for a little more daylight in the mornings. I'm also waiting for the Illinois Prairie Path (crushed limestone rail trail) to dry out. It's about one-third of my commute, and it's still pretty wet from the spring thaw.

I have been commuting only on Fridays in the past, but I hope to go to at least one more day per week this summer. Tuesdays are out; that's the night for the company golf league! Can't see myself doing a 35 mile round trip carrying clubs!

Al
Old 04-16-08, 07:02 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats.

Now remember, the bike will work regardless of the weather. Now that
you're on the bike, don't get off...and before you know it you'll be a
hard core commuter and will feel guilty each time you drive your car.
This is a GOOD thing. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-16-08, 07:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Commuting is a great excuse to go for a bike ride. Why, I've used it as an excuse 66 times so far this year.
Old 04-16-08, 07:41 AM

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shmulb
I just finished the first half of my first commute. Rode 11.5 miles with my friend who has been commuting for years. Temp was mid 30's and route has some medium hills. Did it in 45 minutes and feel great.
The weaher this afternoon should be high 60,s. I am trying a different route home. Tommorrow I'll be on my own, but I think I am hooked.
Great! My first one today too, 15k (just short of 10miles) and 1 degree C. cool but no problem. I plan to go 3 days a week until the legs agree to five and then on until the end of October, like last year. The world looks better from atop a bicycle.
Old 04-17-08, 06:01 AM

Bikes: Jamis Satellite; Ellsworth Scant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a follow up, I took a different route home. The dynamics in the afternoon are very different from early in the morning . Much heavier traffic, some wind and learning a new route. Although it is 3 miles longer and has a 350ft climb for the last 1.5 miles it only took 10 minutes longer.
This morning my ride buddy was off so I did my first solo in. I have already ordered a Fenix flashlight, my $15 light is simply not good enough.
I bought a Topeak Dynapak for my stuff, love it, it's great for carrying a few things, I can even fit my Nikon D50 and lens in.
I have just realised, my bike is a moving ad for Topeak, A Dynapack, Micro tool kit, Allay Saddle, Road Morph G pump .
I am feeling really good. Looking foreward to the ride home.
Old 04-17-08, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I would like to suggest that you look into Dinotte's tail light. It will help when it comes to drivers seeing you in time to alter their course before they pass you.
Old 04-17-08, 09:19 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by gear
I would like to suggest that you look into Dinotte's tail light. It will help when it comes to drivers seeing you in time to alter their course before they pass you.
+1 It's the only light that'll do that in bright sun too. I run one of my DiNotte headlights in in blink mode during the day as well. It helps keep people from turning in front of me.
Old 04-17-08, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Did my first commute of the year yesterday. Think I will do it again manana.
Even though my commute is only a few miles. it seems to be especially effective at
improving my conditioning. Prob something to do with not sitting on my butt during the days that aren't Saturday
Old 04-17-08, 03:14 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by late
it seems to be especially effective at improving my conditioning.
Stoplights make automatic interval training. I can also sprint like the dickens thanks to stoplights and commuting.
Old 04-17-08, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shmulb, Congrats!
Beverly, when you retire just pretend you're commuting and ride to someone else's workplace.
Old 04-17-08, 05:58 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
+1 It's the only light that'll do that in bright sun too. I run one of my DiNotte headlights in in blink mode during the day as well. It helps keep people from turning in front of me.
Another vote for Dinotte (both front and back).