User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What does "Roadie" mean to a 50+'r?

What does "Roadie" mean to a 50+'r?

In one of my excellent and recent polls, I used the term "Roadie (could include recumbent)" in my poll.

One person responded that "Roadie" could not include recumbent biking.

So, as a mature 50+'r, who may have successfully completed one or more of Fox's polls, what does the term "Roadie" mean to you?

Can it include recumbent cycling?

My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The classic definition would be those who ride a 'road' bike...as in a dropped-bar racing type bike.
    But I ain't gonna touch this subject, it may make the helmet debate look like a church social.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    The classic definition would be those who ride a 'road' bike...as in a dropped-bar racing type bike.
    But I ain't gonna touch this subject, it may make the helmet debate look like a church social.
    Wise man.

I was going to try to tiptoe through this with kid gloves, but decided I wasn't clever enough.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it was to my response that you are referring, I only said that in jest, meaning that I didn't ride a recumbent. I didn't mean to suggest that someone who rides a recumbent on the road is not a roadie. (edit) After reading later responses to the poll, I can see that it was not my response that was the catalyst for this.

My definition of a roadie is anyone who rides a bicycle on the road.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 04-16-08 at 06:53 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    If it was to my response that you are referring, I only said that in jest, meaning that I didn't ride a recumbent. I didn't mean to suggest that someone who rides a recumbent on the road is not a roadie. (edit) After reading later responses to the poll, I can see that it was not my response that was the catalyst for this.

Mine too. I ride a road bike on the road. Now, how someone rides a road bike, why they ride it, and what they ride it for are anyone's guess. Personally, I pretend I'm going very fast in front of a vicious pack of racers - even if I'm alone, sweating up a hill at 9 MPH. It just make the miles go by...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    forgive me my innocence here, because I'm a cyclist of about seven weeks rather than seven years or decades, but I'm happy enough to wade in. To me "roadie" means more than merely riding on the road. It means riding appreciable distances on the road on a bicycle specifically designed to take better or best advantage of that hard surface, at the cost of being less well suited to other surfaces.

If I purchase a 'road bike' and only ever use it to commute then I'm a commuter, not a 'roadie'. If I purchase a mountain bike and only ever use to trundle around on the sealed roads then I'm a wussy mountain bike rider, not a 'roadie'.

I can easy enough accommodate both upright and recumbent bikes within that description of 'roadie', but only where the recumbent has design features specifically aimed at riding 'faster' on the sealed surface. Wouldn't matter where or how fast I rode it, if I'm astride a recumbent designed, like my upright hybrid, for comfortable trundling about then I can't conceivably be a 'roadie'.

My thoughts, anyway. If I'm to use categorisations then I want them to have meaning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a movie starring Meat Loaf.

Paul

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main ride is a fixed gear and I'm a roadie while on it, not some hipster.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me a roadie is a equipment schlepping set assembling electronics fixing extracurricular amusement procuring crew member for a traveling band or similar group.

When people write about roadies on bikes, I always have to guess what they are talking about.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    To me a roadie is a equipment schlepping set assembling electronics fixing extracurricular amusement procuring crew member for a traveling band or similar group.

When people write about roadies on bikes, I always have to guess what they are talking about.
    And I thought a rhoddie was a person who appreciated a particular type of flowering shrub.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it only took 10 replies to define the term "roadie" into indefinite oblivion? This is like grad school!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I concur.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    And I thought a rhoddie was a person who appreciated a particular type of flowering shrub.
    I thought a "rhodie" was the shrub itself, because we're too lazy to say the entire name.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    My main ride is a fixed gear and I'm a roadie while on it, not some hipster.

I would so much rather be called a "hipster" than a "roadie"...

I like the idea of riding a nice road bike on a nice road, but not so much the other negative stereotype stuff that is associated with "roadie"....

I prefer the negatives associated with "hipster"...

Hipster roadie... !!
    Last edited by alicestrong; 04-17-08 at 10:23 AM.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me the term "roadie" is used as a method to take a group of people with a common interest (bicycling) and sub divide them into smaller groups. Usually for the all to human purpose of being able to claim that one group is superior to another.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    If I purchase a mountain bike and only ever use to trundle around on the sealed roads then I'm a wussy mountain bike rider, not a 'roadie'.
    That might make you a "wussy", but definitely not a mountain bike rider.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    forgive me my innocence here, because I'm a cyclist of about seven weeks rather than seven years or decades, but I'm happy enough to wade in. To me "roadie" means more than merely riding on the road. It means riding appreciable distances on the road on a bicycle specifically designed to take better or best advantage of that hard surface, at the cost of being less well suited to other surfaces.

If I purchase a 'road bike' and only ever use it to commute then I'm a commuter, not a 'roadie'. If I purchase a mountain bike and only ever use to trundle around on the sealed roads then I'm a wussy mountain bike rider, not a 'roadie'.

I can easy enough accommodate both upright and recumbent bikes within that description of 'roadie', but only where the recumbent has design features specifically aimed at riding 'faster' on the sealed surface. Wouldn't matter where or how fast I rode it, if I'm astride a recumbent designed, like my upright hybrid, for comfortable trundling about then I can't conceivably be a 'roadie'.

My thoughts, anyway. If I'm to use categorisations then I want them to have meaning.
    I can't believe he said that
    But there it is

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    50+, land of common sense.............If you ride on the road your a roadie. If you ride somewhere other than on the road your not a roadie. It is possible for roadies to be non roadies.....its also possible for non roadies to be roadies. Its possible for roadies to be inane and rude. Then again, non roadies can do the same thing. Roadies can lay down and ride on incumbents but then in some circurstances, recumbents can ride on dirt. I guess that means that being a recumbent rider does not in itself make one a roadie or non roadie. Touring riders generally group themselves with roadies because thats where most tours are.....on roads. However on bad hair days, touring riders go off road and tour other than on the road. Well, I guess that they fall into the same catagory as the bent riders. Commuters also favor roads, unless there's a path that will take some distance off the trip.............well, no help with the road/not rule there. Let's see, racers race on the road and dirt......no help. Ah....ha, TDF riders they ride on ............oh wait, there was the Lance off road incident.......darn. Maybe unicycles.........nope, they ride on dirt too.

I don't seem to be able to get a handle on the question after all. Perhaps there's more diversity to this cycling thing than I thought. Darn, I really didn't want to be a roadie..............oh well.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 04-17-08 at 10:10 AM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think when most people use the term "roadie," what they really mean is "UCI roadie." My lowracer complains about dirt roads, and worse surfaces would be almost impossible to negotiate with it; yet I'm not included in the term. It seems like I should be, if I ride nothing but road? Obviously, I am in a class by myself!

At least I tend to stay away from MUPs, so nobody can call me a "MUPpet."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Or Trekie or Commie or Hill Rider.................oops sorry Hillrider.

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Wise man.

I was going to try to tiptoe through this with kid gloves, but decided I wasn't clever enough.
    If you can get those gloves on your feet and go a-tiptoein', you're definitely clever enough--intrepid, even!

My Bikes
    Rivendell A.Homer Hilsen, Paramount P13, Falcon Super Route, Mondia Special, Rodriguez Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be better to catergorize by the type of riding we do. For many of us it would be cyclotouriste: a rider who likes to travel some distance, on roads, for the fun of riding a bike. The other major categories would be racer, mountain biker, and commuter. One person could do all four of these types of riding and even do it on the same bike (although mountain biking would have some limitations).

If we thought in those terms we might reduce some friction in the way bike groups interact. When you join a cyclotouring club ride it wouldn't matter what bicycle anybody showed up on, the style of the ride would probably include such elements of cyclotouring as waiting for others to catch up, lunch, stopping on bridges to see what's down in the creek, helping someone with a repair, that sort of thing.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just reread the original post. Its possible that I've never "sucessfully" completed one of Fox's polls..............................

That could be because of my shortcomings however.............

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MKahrl View Post
    If we thought in those terms we might reduce some friction in the way bike groups interact.
    I ride bikes.

Friction, that's the kind of shifters I have on my road bikes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DnvrFox;6531421]What does "Roadie" mean to a 50+'r?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast