Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wide Cycling Shoes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wide Cycling Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 08:10 PM

Bikes: '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wide Cycling Shoes

Hi all, newbie to the Bike Forums here and just getting into road biking sort of half seriously. To qualify, I’m not a racer and don’t currently intend to be any sort of long distance endurance runner or anything. More an hour or two (or maybe three) rider for the fun and health benefits mostly. I wrote a bit more about myself in the “Bike fit – Art vs. Science” thread nearby.

Here’s the question, I’ve currently got “regular” peddles attached to my road bike (Trek Pilot 5.0) much to the dismay of the nice guy that sold me the bike and have been riding in sneakers. I’m not much of a fan of the idea of clipless peddles or bike shoes with cleats, but I’m thinking of giving it a try. Here’s my problem; I have really wide feet, 10.5 EEE. Anyone else out there with wide feet that can recommend a brand of bike shoe that may fit my flippers… err feet? Also, what sort of peddles/cleats are the best for a newbie? I’d just as soon not eat asphalt learning to use them.

Jim
Old 04-16-08, 09:35 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I use SPD (mountain bike) pedals and cleats on my road bikes because I use my bikes primarily for transport. I need to walk when I get to my destination. Plus, I seem to be able to clip in and out much easier and faster than ride partners with "road" cleats and pedals.

I'm still experimenting with which SPD pedals I like best and for which purposes. Now that they have a few hundred miles on them, I'm beginning to really like the A520s I put on one bike to try out. They're a road-style pedal but with SPD clips and cleats. They spread the pressure out over more of my foot. My other bike has M520s an MTB type. I like that they're double-sided and require no thought to clip into in five o'clock traffic.

Now for shoes, we wear the same size. Lake makes several models in wide sizes. My first Lakes were their winter cycling boots. They are absolutely the most comfortable shoe I own. I'm currently trying to decide which model to buy for summer.

When you do switch, there's no substitute for lots of practice. My LBS had me ride back and forth in the parking lot, unclip, stop, start, turn around, unclip, stop, start, turn around unclip... for a half hour before they let me ride home. By then, it was already feeling natural. Within a week I was a total convert.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-08, 09:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try the Sidi Mega (Dominator model for MTB). They run wide, and I love them.
Old 04-17-08, 03:51 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by axelfox
Try the Sidi Mega (Dominator model for MTB). They run wide, and I love them.
YEP!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-08, 06:46 AM
Old Newbie

Bikes: 1972 Schwinn "Custom" Continental, Canondale Mountain Bike, Windsor American (1973?), 2007 Bianchi C2C Via Nirone 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Lakes. My son has really wide feet, and the Lakes are available wide, and comforttable for him.
Old 04-17-08, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Stevens Strada 600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake MX101 for me. My street shoes are EEE and EEEE and the Lakes are great.
Old 04-17-08, 07:31 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm an 11.5 EEE.
Lake and Sidi both make wide shoes. The Lakes are under $100. The Sidis are $150+ depending on which model you get.
Since you live in Tampa, why not try Lake or Shimano cycling sandals and Eggbeater, or Smarty, or Candy pedals. Very easy to clip in to and out of.
I have Eggbeaters on my commuter bike. In the warmer months I wear my Lake cycling sandals. Awesome. In the cooler months I wear Lake shoes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 04-17-08, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The widest I've found used to be Carnacs but lately they seem to have changed for the narrower foot.
Sidi-megas are anything but.
I have a wide foot with a high instep.
I like the fit of Shimano 44.5 E width. Most shops don't carry the E width but can get them.