Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-16-08, 08:20 PM   #1
PirateJim

Bikes: '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wide Cycling Shoes

Hi all, newbie to the Bike Forums here and just getting into road biking sort of half seriously. To qualify, I’m not a racer and don’t currently intend to be any sort of long distance endurance runner or anything. More an hour or two (or maybe three) rider for the fun and health benefits mostly. I wrote a bit more about myself in the “Bike fit – Art vs. Science” thread nearby.

Here’s the question, I’ve currently got “regular” peddles attached to my road bike (Trek Pilot 5.0) much to the dismay of the nice guy that sold me the bike and have been riding in sneakers. I’m not much of a fan of the idea of clipless peddles or bike shoes with cleats, but I’m thinking of giving it a try. Here’s my problem; I have really wide feet, 10.5 EEE. Anyone else out there with wide feet that can recommend a brand of bike shoe that may fit my flippers… err feet? Also, what sort of peddles/cleats are the best for a newbie? I’d just as soon not eat asphalt learning to use them.

-----
My apologies, this seems to have double posted. Browser glitch... :-(

Jim

Last edited by PirateJim; 04-16-08 at 09:00 PM.
PirateJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 08:59 PM   #2
big john

Bikes:
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post

Here’s the question, I’ve currently got “regular” peddles attached to my road bike (Trek Pilot 5.0) much to the dismay of the nice guy that sold me the bike and have been riding in sneakers. I’m not much of a fan of the idea of clipless peddles or bike shoes with cleats, but I’m thinking of giving it a try. Here’s my problem; I have really wide feet, 10.5 EEE. Anyone else out there with wide feet that can recommend a brand of bike shoe that may fit my flippers… err feet? Also, what sort of peddles/cleats are the best for a newbie? I’d just as soon not eat asphalt learning to use them.

Jim
If money isn't an issue, Sidi makes wider versions of some of their shoes called Mega. Certain Shimano shoes are wide, too.
Mountain bike style shoes/pedals allow for easier walking than road shoes. Shimano SPD type pedals usually have release tension adjustments, and you can set them to pop out quickly while you are trying them.
(Fixed the Mega part.)

Last edited by big john; 04-16-08 at 10:15 PM.
big john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-08, 09:50 PM   #3
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
My apologies, this seems to have double posted. Browser glitch... :-(
My reply is in the other thread.
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-08, 08:06 AM   #4
dvs cycles

Bikes:
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The widest I've found used to be Carnacs but lately they seem to have changed for the narrower foot.
Sidi-megas are anything but.
I have a wide foot with a high instep.
I like the fit of Shimano 44.5 E width. Most shops don't carry the E width but can get them.

Last edited by dvs cycles; 04-17-08 at 08:13 AM.
dvs cycles is offline   Reply With Quote