User Tag List

My Bikes
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wide Cycling Shoes

Hi all, newbie to the Bike Forums here and just getting into road biking sort of half seriously. To qualify, I’m not a racer and don’t currently intend to be any sort of long distance endurance runner or anything. More an hour or two (or maybe three) rider for the fun and health benefits mostly. I wrote a bit more about myself in the “Bike fit – Art vs. Science” thread nearby.

Here’s the question, I’ve currently got “regular” peddles attached to my road bike (Trek Pilot 5.0) much to the dismay of the nice guy that sold me the bike and have been riding in sneakers. I’m not much of a fan of the idea of clipless peddles or bike shoes with cleats, but I’m thinking of giving it a try. Here’s my problem; I have really wide feet, 10.5 EEE. Anyone else out there with wide feet that can recommend a brand of bike shoe that may fit my flippers… err feet? Also, what sort of peddles/cleats are the best for a newbie? I’d just as soon not eat asphalt learning to use them.

-----
    My apologies, this seems to have double posted. Browser glitch... :-(

Jim
    Last edited by PirateJim; 04-16-08 at 09:00 PM.
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '06 West Marine Port Runner (Foldable)
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post

Here’s the question, I’ve currently got “regular” peddles attached to my road bike (Trek Pilot 5.0) much to the dismay of the nice guy that sold me the bike and have been riding in sneakers. I’m not much of a fan of the idea of clipless peddles or bike shoes with cleats, but I’m thinking of giving it a try. Here’s my problem; I have really wide feet, 10.5 EEE. Anyone else out there with wide feet that can recommend a brand of bike shoe that may fit my flippers… err feet? Also, what sort of peddles/cleats are the best for a newbie? I’d just as soon not eat asphalt learning to use them.

Jim
    If money isn't an issue, Sidi makes wider versions of some of their shoes called Mega. Certain Shimano shoes are wide, too.
    Mountain bike style shoes/pedals allow for easier walking than road shoes. Shimano SPD type pedals usually have release tension adjustments, and you can set them to pop out quickly while you are trying them.
    (Fixed the Mega part.)
    Last edited by big john; 04-16-08 at 10:15 PM.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJim View Post
    My apologies, this seems to have double posted. Browser glitch... :-(
    My reply is in the other thread.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The widest I've found used to be Carnacs but lately they seem to have changed for the narrower foot.
    Sidi-megas are anything but.
    I have a wide foot with a high instep.
    I like the fit of Shimano 44.5 E width. Most shops don't carry the E width but can get them.
    Last edited by dvs cycles; 04-17-08 at 08:13 AM.