My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rollercoaster Day

It does get better near the end

A couple months ago all h*ll broke loose at work when a confidential document was left on an unsecured server with information outlining plans to outsource the development staff in our department. Upper management tried to smooth things over by calling a meeting suggesting the document was only a "what if" scenario and the actual plans might be different....yea, we've heard that before. I can bet some-body's head rolled over that document getting out.

Last month they made the announcement they would be outsourcing our jobs but would be keeping a few people and reclassifying them as System Consultants. We had to apply for the positions but it took me thirty seconds to decide I wasn't applying and would take the severance package and leave.

Today was the day They wiped out 50% of my group. It was so sad to see people who only had a couple more years to retirement lose their jobs. The really crappy part of this whole deal is we'll be there until October training the people taking over our jobs.

Now to the biking content of this post.... They gave the people who lost their jobs the afternoon and Friday off because they knew they would be upset. I told my manager I had things planned for the entire weekend and didn't have time to be upset until Monday so he just laughed and said I could come back Tuesday.

I called a friend and we rode 23 miles this afternoon with a stop for coffee and dessert. Sorry but I ate the dessert before I had a chance to take a picture. It was a gorgeous 73F and we only had to fight the headwinds on the return trip. We stopped at a rest area on the way back to watch bees and recover from the 15mph headwind

Tomorrow morning I'll be leading a club ride to one of our favorite restaurants for lunch, Saturday morning I'll be riding in a festival parade with a few other MetroPark volunteer bike patrol and Sunday morning it's the regular breakfast ride. Monday looks like rain so maybe I'll stay at home and be upset about my impending retirement
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations...I think.

Large companies are cold blooded, they'll kill you and eat your babies without flinching. I feel bad for those folks who are nearing retirement when they are cut loose. I would think that from now until October it's going to be hard to maintain a professional attitude.

It's good that you're cycling a lot. Keep riding and say hello to my DCC friends for me.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a great attitude for such a terrible situation!

Corporate American is so focused on the bottom line that it seldom sees the true impact to their customers and shareholders in making a decision such as this. I went through 9 (nine) Presidents that I reported to in one year with a company. Not surprisingly they are no longer around. It is too bad that the only ones that do not get hurt are the people at the top. It all boils down to what they - Executives - are rewarded for. Wonder why? The wheels just keep turning!

Oh, wow we are back to bicycles! Enjoy your ride tomorrow!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When handed lemons, take a bike ride.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Congratulations...I think.

Large companies are cold blooded, they'll kill you and eat your babies without flinching. I feel bad for those folks who are nearing retirement when they are cut loose. I would think that from now until October it's going to be hard to maintain a professional attitude.

It's good that you're cycling a lot. Keep riding and say hello to my DCC friends for me.
    Congratulations are in order

It's going to be tough for those who took the news hard to sit there and train someone else for their job. I don't think I'll have too much trouble as I can't wait to get out of there. I turned 65 in January and will be eligible for full retirement in January 2008. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'll be retiring three months early with a nice severance package as a retirement gift.

I've already told my manager he better send me one that's smart and speaks English with a Midwestern accent because I'm old, cranky and hard of hearing. If I can't cram my thirteen years of system knowledge into their head I'll simply have to find other body openings
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your coworkers. Glad it's working out for you. Enjoy your long weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Congratulations are in order

It's going to be tough for those who took the news hard to sit there and train someone else for their job. I don't think I'll have too much trouble as I can't wait to get out of there. I turned 65 in January and will be eligible for full retirement in January 2008. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'll be retiring three months early with a nice severance package as a retirement gift.

I've already told my manager he better send me one that's smart and speaks English with a Midwestern accent because I'm old, cranky and hard of hearing. If I can't cram my thirteen years of system knowledge into their head I'll simply have to find other body openings:

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, America is the land of opportunity . . . including getting screwed by the company you worked so hard for!
    Been retired 13 years. Three days before I retired they tried to fire me! Anything not to have to pay out that pension . . .
    Had to meet with a board of folks with neckties who knew much less than I did. Proved to them that their reasons were totally wrong . . .
    I laugh every month when my reirement check shows up . . .
    Look out for yourself, as no one else will.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind if your situation happened to me (the part about landing a nice severance package just before I was going to retire anyway). Hopefully this happens well before I'm 65!

I've been involved in staffing cutdowns where there really wasn't any other choice. Well, there were two choices. Cut down about 15% or go all the way to 100%, because one had to cut by 15% to stay in business. It is very difficult and stressful, even for management if they have their heads on right.

Unfortunately too many outsourcings in recent years have been drastic and not always necessary.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain. The company I've been at for the last 38 years has reduced
    its local workforce from over 60,000 employees to less than 9,000. I've had
    one raise (3%) since 1995 though all my annual performance appraisals have been
    outstanding. We have had our wages reduced twice in the last three years
    to the tune of 7% reduction....all the while management has been getting
    filthy rich. They have increased their wages by 20% just over the last 4 years,
    all of management from the bottom to the top. Sooo, I earn less than I did
    13 years ago . If my wife was physically able to work, if I had skills,
    if, if, if.......

So I'll be retiring, going on to another full time job at Wally World or some
    such place, in the next few years and I'll get a small annuity from my current
    job.

I firmly believe that a major Labor movement will be happening soon, or the entire
    country will be out of work.....just hope I'm around to see it. I have a lot of
    pent-up rage as I'm sure many folks do. This selfish CEO mentality does not
    set well with the struggling masses and soon all Heck is liable to break loose.

Congrats to you for surviving the fracus and coming out a winner. My hat's off
    to you for having the where-with-all and tenacity to survive.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stories like this are all too common these days. The greed of corps and company owners seems out of control, just look at the oil companies. Last year my wifes company outsourced her dept. She was one of the lucky ones that got to stay on as a consultant. It's been the worst year of her career.

I work for a small software company. We make the owner about 30 milllion net a year. He gives no profit sharing or bonuses and requires us to work 9 hour days. Yesterday, he told the VP of Eng (who I work for) to give him a list of 15 people to fire (out of about 90 in eng). He does not lay people off or give severance. It seems that our sales are down some and god forbid he make 25 mil rather than 30 this year.

I can't say I would be extremely upset to be on the list.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This comes under the catagory of ka-ka happens. Not much you can do about it. If you have the where with all to retire, it sounds like your biking interest will keep you busy in a positive and healthy way. Hope things work out for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knee jerk reaction would be to "train" the people replacing folks in the fine art of doing it wrong. Unbelievable that we continue to put up with coporate decisions that are primarily driven by stocksholder interests. Oh, well, as others have said/suggested, you are taking this rather well.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    ...I turned 65 in January and will be eligible for full retirement in January 2008. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'll be retiring three months early with a nice severance package as a retirement gift...
    A similar thing happened to me and I retired about a month ago with a nice severance and full pension. I was one of very few for which that was an option. In my case it was a voluntary pqckage. But, this week an involuntary program was announced although no names yet. Who thought this up? Imagine the effect on morale.

I guess nothing stays the same forever but as others have implied here one worries about the future of this country (USA).

Anyway, congratulations and keep up the smiling miles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were I in that situation (and in IS, it's always a possibility), I'd be sorely tempted to say "screw 'em", walk out the door and let the corner office suits train my replacement their d**n selves.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that you are good with your package and get your full retirement. Sad for your co-workers that will miss this. This type of thing is why I work for a small family run business. Best of luck with the training period and in your upcomming retirement.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

"We can't control that we have Parkinson's, but we can control how we live with Parkinson's" Davis Phinney

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Unbelievable that we continue to put up with coporate decisions that are primarily driven by stocksholder interests.
    Of course corporate decisions are primarily driven by stockholder interests. That's business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad6mj View Post
    Of course corporate decisions are primarily driven by stockholder interests. That's business.
    Yes. But I worry that stockholders may not take a broad enough view of what their interests really are.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love your attitude Beverly, just ride, kick back and enjoy this!

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much of this going on now. At 56, I am just holding out hope that I don't fall victim to an involuntary buyout, early retirement program, layoff, or, in plainer terms, kissoff.

Large, publicly owned companies really don't seem to care anymore about what employees contribute . . . It's just the bottom line that matters. And when it comes to us older, experienced, knowledgable workers . . . they may deny it's age discrimination, but I'm not naive -- I know they'd love to replace us with young, cheap but inexperienced help, or outsource our role overseas where they can pay someone beans.

Glad to hear, Beverly, that in your case it worked out well and that you get a nice retirement gift. Enjoy, and spend at least a small part of it on bike gear! Help the economy! *L*
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
    Yes. But I worry that stockholders may not take a broad enough view of what their interests really are.
    Agreed, often outsourcing results in poor customer service and customers are lost. IMO, it is usually a bad decision to outsource customer facing functions. Sometimes though, outsourcing is the only way a company can remain competitive. However, when it is necessary, it is in the company's best interest to treat the impacted employees decently or the remaining employees will be dissatisfied which usually results in dissatisfied customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats - and condolences, as appropriate.

Ohio continues to lose jobs...and people.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."