Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-08, 10:43 AM   #1
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Allez, y'all. The Tour de Georgia is upon us!

April 21-27.
I'll miss seeing the first two stages and the final in person, but I plan to see some part of stages three through six. I am especially looking forward to the stage four Team Time Trial on the Road Atlanta race track and the climb of Brasstown Bald at the end of stage six. Unless my plans change again, I won't be riding my bike up Brasstown Bald this year. My wife and son are going to go with me to walk or shuttle up to a good viewing/partying spot. If she backs out, I'll take my bike.

Anyone else planning to go?
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 10:55 AM   #2
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Since I'm playing hookie from work today to do my own riding, I presume that it would be bad to try and steal more days next week to come down there. Consider me present in spirit at least. I too would like to see the time trial at Road Atlanta. It will be interesting to see the teams come down the hill past the pits and through the corner. At that point the speeds should be fairly high.

Send us some good reports and have fun.
Old 04-18-08, 10:58 AM   #3
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
BTW, from what I have read, they will be running the TTT counterclockwise, the opposite direction from the way it is normally run by cars and motorcycles.
Old 04-18-08, 11:04 AM   #4
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
BTW, from what I have read, they will be running the TTT counterclockwise, the opposite direction from the way it is normally run by cars and motorcycles.
Well, in that case we will get to see how fast the pro's go uphill............................
Old 04-18-08, 08:56 PM   #5
yamura

Bikes: '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I signed up for the charity ride prior to the TT stage Apr 24 at Road Atlanta. Hopefully they'll let us run clockwise; I've driven hundreds of laps on it sim racing but doing this for real this should be fun!
yamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-08, 09:20 PM   #6
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Several years ago, it must have been the early 80s, Kawasaki had a test ride event at Road Atlanta. You had to get a ticket from a Kawasaki dealer and you had to sign a book full of waivers and they let you test ride their bikes on the race track. They put a pro rider in the lead and one bringing up the rear of a line of most of that year's models. You couldn't pass anyone, but if you got up front, they would go as fast as you wanted. I rode the full line of Gpz sport bikes from 650 up to 1100 and the Concourse sport tourer. I couldn't believe how fast they let us go on that track, scraping pegs through the S curves and hitting upwards of 120 on the back straight. After all these years I still get a big grin when I think about it.

I don't think the TdG riders will quite get up to those speeds.

Here is the Jittery Joe's team test riding the TTT course.
Old 04-18-08, 10:38 PM   #7
rae
legs full of molasses

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Sport
I was hoping to come down for a day or three, but family issues have squelched my biking dreams for a bit. Please be sure to post pics & tell us everything you see! I'll be trying to watch it on WCSN.com!
rae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 07:10 AM   #8
BluesDawg
just keep riding

For more coverage:

http://www.tourdegeorgia.com/tour-de...-coverage.html

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/apr08/georgia08/

http://www.steephill.tv/2008/tour-de-georgia/

http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/TourdeGeorgia

http://www.velonews.com/article/74829

http://www.bicycle.net/category/tour-de-georgia

http://www.podiumcafe.com/story/2008/4/18/182756/700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_Georgia
Old 04-19-08, 10:09 AM   #9
Donegal
Road Nazi Hunter

Bikes: Kuota Kredo, Litespeed Vortex, Aegis Victory, Burley Tandem, Cannondale Rush
Hi Blues Dawg

I intend to see the brasstown stage as well as the Road Atlanta Stage. I live 15 minutes from Road Atlanta, I will also be in Suwanee and Gainesville. The only problem I see is that I have injured (sprained?) my achilles tendon yesterday. It is the most frustrating thing I have ever done. I am hoping to try spinning it out this afternoon on a trainer. If I can get the ache out, I will be playing hooky and riding my bike. I really need the time for me right now. I was working on a commercial project up around the Commerce Drag Raceway but they are having the nationals there next week and I will not be working around that mess. Might be a good time to play and spend time on myself.
Donegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 10:41 AM   #10
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Hey, it sounds like we have the same plan. My sister lives in Flowery Branch, so I'll stay at her house as a central base. I'll be at the finish in Gainesville Wednesday, at Road Atlanta Thursday and at the start in Suwanee Friday. Then I drive home to see my son play in a jazz band concert. Early Saturday, the family will drive up to Brasstown Bald for the queen stage. We may stop in Athens on the way home to see the Twilight Criterium. Whew!
Old 04-19-08, 10:43 AM   #11
leinad
old but fast

Bikes: Trek 1200, Trek 5000, K2 moutain bike, Giant Option touring. Also have 6 other bikes for rest of family
Me(I'm 52) and garysol(he can't come on this forum because he's only 40+) will be there for some of the races and we are going to be doing brasstown sat. morning. Look for the guy on the Trek 5000 (silver,blue,black) in full disco kit (hoping it brings me luck in getting too the top).
leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 10:53 AM   #12
Louis

Bikes:
I can't get Versus' website to load. Will the TDG be televised?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 12:25 PM   #13
BluesDawg
just keep riding

SportSouth will have daily 1/2 hour recaps each night and repeats each morning plus a preview tonight.

Versus will have a 1-1/2 hour recap on Cyclism Sunday on May 4th at 2pm EDT.
Old 04-21-08, 11:27 AM   #14
LittleSally

Bikes:
I always tell people to look for live video coverage of racing at
http://www.cyclingfans.com/
since they list it all there.
LittleSally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-08, 12:00 PM   #15
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Pretty cool. I watched the whole 1st stage live on video at WCSN while watching Lance run in the Boston Marathon on TV. All while truing some wheels.