Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will

Read an article today in an old Cycling magazine and protein is an essential ingredient in body Nutrients when cycling. We all know that it builds up Muscle but another thing it does is repair Muscle damage. Problem is that the body cannot assimilate Protein very easily. It is pointless taking a 10oz steak once a day as only a certain amount of that protein will be assimilated at a time. However- small amounts of protein taken frequently- like 4 or 5 times a day will work. The figure they gave for an active person is 2 grammes of protein for each Kilogram of body weight.

But the good news is that if you eat the small amounts of protein throughout the day- Then a good Steak or fish at the end of the day for enjoyment is not going to do any harm. So eat well and enjoy the food.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend gave me Accelerade and I used it for a Century and training. I definitely noticed a life and it did not seem to bother my digestion. I wouldn't live on it, but seems like its a good part of a hard riding diet.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne View Post
    One very positive note: I got Bontrager Hardcase tires. The road contact area is black with red on both sides. That is a good thing to see any objects in the tire such as wires from Steel Belted Radials.
    Long story short: No flats yet.
    More tomorrow.
    Will, I'm sure enjoying your posts. They bring back memories of my Southern Tier ride last year about this time. Those Hardcases are pretty good tires. I had problems with some Panaracers that I started with, and they were pretty well shot by the time I got to Biloxi, MS. I picked up a pair of Bonti Hardcases in Biloxi and didn't have another flat all the way to the Atlantic. As a matter of fact, I now have those same tires on our tandem and have put probably another 1,000-1,500 miles on them with only 2 flats. Good luck and ....

Go Will, go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day four. Thursday April 24, 2008.
    Wickenburg, AZ. to Cottonwood, AZ
    First some recap. The biker who got injured was in a pace line. He took one hand of the bars to point at something while hitting bad pavement. That put him out of commission as well as a women behind him who cracked her pelvis. Tour is done for both.
    I have had arguments with the tour leader about this frequent pointing to things ahead of a pace line. I see the value in that but that means taking frequently one hand off the bars. The pavements are so bad. If you hit a very bad spot you will go down.
    I am so serious about this concern that I went solo all day today and felt much safer. IMHO.

This was the day of Mingus Mountain. For us flat-lander that is a challenge. Over 7,000 feet and very steep. Pavement is lousy and the wind did not help. I was doing 7 MPH most the time and used the lowest gear. The decent was not for the faint of heart. The trucks make a washboard out of the pavement. I am a strong guy but had trouble controlling the bars on these bumps. I limited my decent to about 30 MPH. I like to live a little longer.
    This was a day where I was happy to see the motel.
    BTW, the Accelerade did help a little but I still had nutrition problems. We are burning over 6,000 calories a day and having trouble replenishing that.
    One of the better bikers gave me a big container with "Hammer Nutrition called HEED". It comes as a powder for one bottle and a Gel to be taken once per hour.
    I will give that a tryout unless someone tells me otherwise.
    Tomorrow will be a similar day with Flagstaff, AZ.
    I will e-mail a very few pictures to Denver Fox.
    Until tomorrow, Providence willing.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Will

Read an article today in an old Cycling magazine and protein is an essential ingredient in body Nutrients when cycling. We all know that it builds up Muscle but another thing it does is repair Muscle damage. Problem is that the body cannot assimilate Protein very easily. It is pointless taking a 10oz steak once a day as only a certain amount of that protein will be assimilated at a time. However- small amounts of protein taken frequently- like 4 or 5 times a day will work. The figure they gave for an active person is 2 grammes of protein for each Kilogram of body weight.

But the good news is that if you eat the small amounts of protein throughout the day- Then a good Steak or fish at the end of the day for enjoyment is not going to do any harm. So eat well and enjoy the food.
    stapfam,
    I want you to know that I read and understand what you say above.
    The main reason for my tour diet is availability. I can get Mexican food or Steak and Potatoes. Mexican food and I do not get along.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep those reports coming, Will, they are great.

My biker son-in-law swears by HEED and says it is one of the few drinks that cause him no stomach distress (a problem he often has).

Interesting that you feel safer solo. Do you stay within sight of the larger group?

Hope the tour's biggest problems are behind it. Good luck, good riding, and good weather!
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc20010 View Post
    Keep those reports coming, Will, they are great.

My biker son-in-law swears by HEED and says it is one of the few drinks that cause him no stomach distress (a problem he often has).

Interesting that you feel safer solo. Do you stay within sight of the larger group?

Hope the tour's biggest problems are behind it. Good luck, good riding, and good weather!
    The tour is strung out all over the 120 miles because there is such a great difference in biking skills. We have one guy who can go under 4 hours for 100 miles and others who plug along under 15 MPH on the flats.
    These tours are a business. That means that they cannot be to particular who participates as long as they can pay the fee. I said somewhere else that this tour cost between $5,000 and $10,000 depending on options such as single room vs triple occupancy.
    Anyway, that is one reason for this wide range of bikers.

BTW, you need to pay attention to the complex cue sheets or you get lost.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that there are pictures of most bikers with some info on the tour leaders Web Site. I guess the tour leader is stretched with issues. Click "Meet The Riders" in the link.
    http://www.bamacyclist.com/Journal20...8fastsouth.htm

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures from Will

First pic is a group pic as we started. I am on far right.

Second pic is a few tour bikers in the famous Box Canyon, CA

Third pic shows the accident which send two bikers to the hospital and out of the tour.

Fourth shows me and the best female biker on tour. She competes in MTB.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-29-08 at 06:39 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fast Across

Will,
    Keep up the good work. Lots of us are pulling for you. I am sure that once you have a week behind you you may be able to relax more and enjoy the miles. Great adventure.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Will, keep the updates coming. I can tell you, they sure help me, thanks.
    George

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you deserve that yellow jersey.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Will, are those jerseys, with America on them from the last time you went? I see only 4 people have them on.
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DenverFox,
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    These are very high resolution so they take a long time to load with a Laptop such as I have.
    The Box Canyon picture does load very slow in about 10 minutes.
    The third picture is a biker called Richard with Sandra the MTB biker turned Rodie. I was tired and made a mistake. I will do better in the future.
    Last edited by will dehne; 04-25-08 at 11:00 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Hey Will, are those jerseys, with America on them from the last time you went? I see only 4 people have them on.
    We have formal dress days where everybody wears those shirts. On other days it is optional. I like my jerseys better because they are better material. Pearl Izumi. Much cooler.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day five. Friday April 25, 2008.
    Cottonwood, AZ to Winslow, AZ
    This is a challenging day. It combined biking up to Flagstaff with 60 miles of fast expressway biking. Going up to Flagstaff you have switchbacks and I had to use my lowest gear and still stand up at times. We have a few bikers who are skilled with such Mountain biking. I am not one of them. I took plenty of Hammer Nutrition and at least I did not bonk and actually was able to bike to my satisfaction.

Expressway biking is dangerous because you tend to go very fast. trucks go by and side-winds can upset you and your bike. Debris and cracked pavement is the other issue. There are plenty of flats from wires coming out of steel belted radials.

The good news is that you cover a lot of distance fast. This is the objective of this tour. It is not a sight seeing tour. There are other routes for that.

Winslow does have a fine Restaurant I can recommend: La Posada Hotel and Restaurant. It is very special.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Will - sorry the pictures took so long to download. Actually, I did reduce the size (and decrease the quality of the pictures) considerably.

They came to me as

And I reduced them to:
    respectively

I could reduce future pictures even more by decreasing their size and quality, if you like. Just let me know.

I wonder if you were on dialup?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    Hi, Will - sorry the pictures took so long to download. Actually, I did reduce the size (and decrease the quality of the pictures) considerably.

They came to me as

And I reduced them to:
    respectively

I could reduce future pictures even more by decreasing their size and quality, if you like. Just let me know.

Keep going Denver, your doing a great job.
    George

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will-I was really surprised at how most of the riders are 50+. Looks like a more diverse group than your last tour.

Sorry to hear about the accident with the two bikers. I could see how over time someone could easily loose the attention needed that could cause problems.

Flagstaff-I was just up there last month. Man-you are in the hills!!

What gears are you using on your Madone for this trip?

Thanks for the updates!! You're really doing super!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Will-I was really surprised at how most of the riders are 50+. Looks like a more diverse group than your last tour.

Sorry to hear about the accident with the two bikers. I could see how over time someone could easily loose the attention needed that could cause problems.

Flagstaff-I was just up there last month. Man-you are in the hills!!

What gears are you using on your Madone for this trip?

Thanks for the updates!! You're really doing super!
    The road surface quality is so bad that it is difficult to control the bike with both hand much less with one hand. That is what happened. The guy hit a rumble strip and the women tumbled over him. Both are experienced bikers.
    It is sort of funny that I get a lot of flack for avoiding Pace lines because I am too Chicken to take a hand of the bars. Since the accident I have gotten worse about that. This of course slows me down since it requires much more energy to bike solo. I can feel the difference. But such accidents are just not worth it. Remember we travel roads where we have no idea whats is coming up. How can you do that at high speed and not risk your life?
    The 5.2 Madone has standard triple. I wish I had a MTB cassete. I will live but I had to suffer.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

They came to me as

And I reduced them to:
    respectively

Hi Dever,
    The motel had a very slow wireless service. I am now in a different motel and it works. Thanks for the pictures. They are of great quality. I was so tired that I put the wrong picture for #4. I will e-mail the right one. Sorry but I was really frazzled that night. This tour is a challenge.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day six. Saturday April 26, 2008.
    Winslow, AZ to Gallup, NM.
    Expressway biking all day long. About 100 miles plus another 40 on roads.
    The good news is that the weather is fine and no more injuries.
    I spoke too soon about the Bontrager tires. My rear tire is done. Multiple cuts and cracks. I replaced it with another one. The tour leader said that it is to be expected but my Continentals lasted longer. I think I will go back to them.
    The 20 year old female got blown over by the gust from a Truck. No great surprise. I had to hang on for dear life also. Imagine a very strong North wind blowing. We are going east on the South side of big Trucks. Imagine the force of the gust and imagine lousy pavement and you have an idea.
    Lots of flats and busted tires.
    Most of us are looking forward to one day of rest after tomorrow.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You truly are Iron Will. I'm enjoying your report very much, almost like riding along with you.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    You truly are Iron Will. I'm enjoying your report very much, almost like riding along with you.
    Hi Yen,
    It is for people like you that I write this. Perhaps you will do this type of tour someday. You came a long way.
    If you do, the training and the tour will change your life but do not try to do it without training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will,

Keep these great stories coming! You are riding along the route that we fly when going to the West Coast and back, so I know the area, and it is fascinating to hear what they are like at ground level.

Paul

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast