Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off the bike for awhile :(

I guess I shouldn't complain as this is the first time in several years that my lower back has given me any problems. Unfortunately I seem to have done a real bang-up job this time and have no idea what caused it.

I left work early Tuesday to visit the doctor with a sore back and pain shooting down my left leg. He gave me a couple prescriptions and sent me for x-rays the next morning. I'm back at work today with a heating pad for the leg and under the influence of the "happy pills" If my posts are stranger than usual you can blame the pills.

I'm hoping the x-rays don't show anything major and I can be back on the bike in a week or two. This certainly puts a damper on my training for TOSRV. I doubt I'll be ready for back-to-back centuries but I'm hoping to be able to do the 1/2 TOSRV. The half is 50 miles each day.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you've got to be off the bike, I'd say "happy pills" are in order. Heal soon.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not an MD, but pain shooting down the leg usually=sciatica. I have had it, it is very painful, and in my case took awhile to subside (months). However, if you can ride in a semi- upright position, give it a week or so with the pills and try it.

And remember the motto on the 50+forum. If something doesn't hurt, you are probably dead. Best of luck with the recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your back. Here's hoping that it's minor
    and short term. If your weather forecast is anything like ours
    is (turning colder..below avg. temps....rain Mon-Thu) you won't
    miss much outdoors for a while.

You didn't do this on your new red toy I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a helluva way to justify a handful of happy pills, Beverly. I hope it gets sorted soon for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beverly, I hope the relief is as rapid as the onset. Can you swim? Get a sports massage? I was sidelined last year and one symptom was irritation of the sciatic nerve. It took a second opinion and MRI to find the cause of the symptoms. Time and physical therapy soved the problem. You may grow tired of hearing "cross-training", but I'm loving it and think it's my cloud's silver lining.

If you have pain while driving, moving the seat up may help. Gentle stretching of the piriformis may also provide some relief.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Don't count anything out yet!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that, Beverly. What I sometimes do is lie flat on the floor with my feet on a chair and knees bent 90 degrees. Takes the pressure off of the spine. Also, some stretching helps prevent mine from acting up.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep the piriformis syndrome in mind.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you're back at full strength soon.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! I suppose at our age this stuff is bound to happen. Do what the doc says and don't worry about TOSRV, there will be lots more TOSRV's.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bev, I've had lower back/hip/sciatica problems in the past. A good chiropractor helped me tremendously, as does Pilates. One of the main reasons I had trouble with my back was because of a very weak core and bad posture over the years. Pilates has made all the difference.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel for you. After enduring such a long, cold winter, it just doesn't seem fair to have a health problem once it gets warmer. Hope you are back on your bikes soon.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope all goes well, and you are back to enjoy the Spring riding soon!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had back problems for years and when it comes on bad- The most comfortable seat I can find is on the bike. So a couple of days rest- then buy a longer stem and flip it to 3" below the saddle. Then look at the bike till you have enough courage to ride with your head between your knees.

Sorry to hear about the back ache- but plenty of time now to polish the frame and Look for the Sights to see in West Sussex

http://www.arundelcastle.org/_pages/01_castle.htm

And Portsmouth Harbour

http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php...tpage&Itemid=1
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bev, hope you get better soon. In the meantime, you might have an excuse for n+1.

Just sayin'!!!

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had that sciatica/piriformis syndrome 2 or 3 times in the last ten years. Very painful no matter what position I was in, although seated was the worst. Seated, as in driving. One of my coworkers, a PT, 'diagnosed' and suggested some stretching exercises (as someone above mentioned) and that helped immensely.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Bev.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, Beverly. What a drag. I hope some remedy works and you're back in the saddle soon.
    Last edited by The Smokester; 04-24-08 at 07:56 PM.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you're feeling better soon, Bev! That sucks.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    Bev, hope you get better soon. In the meantime, you might have an excuse for n+1.

Just sayin'!!!
    +1 on time to start lookin' for a 'bent.

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest will do a sore back wonders. When you're ready, make sure you eeeeease back into it.
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Bev, how frustrating for you just when the snow has finally melted. I know back pain all too well and it can be debilitating. When my sciatica starts acting up, I immediately reach for the aspirin and ice pack before it gets out of control. Hope you're feeling up to riding again very soon.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the positive side, I've had three back surgeries & exercise has helped me, in fact riding the bike & stretching has been the best thing so far.

Hopefully you will find it is nothing that just rest & meds can heal & then you can be back on your bike.

As for what you did, I've thrown my back out just bending over to wash my hands & a gal at work bent over to tie her shoe so it doesn't have to be anything to do with weight.

Get well soon!!!!
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Beverly. What I sometimes do is lie flat on the floor with my feet on a chair and knees bent 90 degrees. Takes the pressure off of the spine. Also, some stretching helps prevent mine from acting up.
    +1 - All of my coworkers know that if I'm lying on the floor with my lower legs on my chair, it's not an emergency, I'm just trying to get my back to quit aching. Every spring, it's the same thing - my daughter's soccer team starts playing & practicing and I wind up at the doctor's office for another prescription for Flexeril. I hope you can do at least the Half TOSRV; one of my goals is to get to the point where I can do at least that much. If you make it to Portsmouth, make sure you get down to the floodwall to see the murals painted on them.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedde View Post
    I've had that sciatica/piriformis syndrome 2 or 3 times in the last ten years. Very painful no matter what position I was in, although seated was the worst. Seated, as in driving. One of my coworkers, a PT, 'diagnosed' and suggested some stretching exercises (as someone above mentioned) and that helped immensely.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Bev.
    Beverly, Mrs Road Fan and I have both had sciatica, in her case a very severe case, needing surgery. Mine is controlled by stretching and biking, and post-surbery hers is controlled by core strength and watching her posture. We both have had to be careful about how we set up car seats and office chairs, and with bending and lifting carefully. We both shovel snow, but with attention to how we lift and push.

It's hard to cure, but after major immediate symptoms are assessed and treated, it's not hard to manage. We don't even need the happy pills (though a good pils helps a lot!).

See your doc! There really is a lot of knowledge about these conditions.

Road Fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post

Just sayin'!!!
    Looks like an Easy Racer...you'll fly on that baby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast