Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

spring ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 09:06 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
spring ride

Rode with a group of bikers from the Great Lakes region yesterday and a good group it was. 21 riders in all, primarily from Chicago and eastern wi.. There were some very strong riders and I did my best to make them look stronger. However, despite my efforts, I was unable to form a "z" group as the b group riders waited at the top of every major hill. This meant that they got plenty of rest as there were plenty of hills.
The ride consisted of 2 loops out of New Glarus Wi.. A morning loop of 34 miles and an afternoon loop of 16-34 miles depending on which variation you took. Better course descriptions can can be found in the Great Lakes regional sub-forum along with a few pics. (spring classic...) I ended up with a touch over 50 miles total and my legs were pretty well toast as my longest ride to date had been 18 miles. I find it gratifying that I'm able to move at all today although I've cancelled my racquetball date for this evening.
Again a good ride with a good group of people. I may make it a point to attend their "fall classic" ride.
Old 04-28-08, 09:12 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, you can ride a good distance without a lot of 'training' as you have proven to yourself. However it is not easy. Glad you are feeling good about your ride in spite of the muscles being a bit sore.
Old 04-29-08, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the fall classic is in order. Eighteen miles to 50 is a pretty good jump. My legs would be toast too if I made that much of a proportional jump in mileage in one day. It's kind of fun to ride with that many people every once in a while. It lets you know you're not alone on the roads.