Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

recovery rides.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

recovery rides.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 03:07 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
recovery rides.

Many of us know that if we have done a strenuous ride- or extra milage or pushed ourselves hard on one of our rides- then the following day- you should get out and do a few gentle miles on the bike- just to stretch the muscles to get the stiffness out of them

Well yesterday- I did a ride that probably pushed me a bit harder than I normally would and although it was only a 40 miler- I Took it at a higher pace than I would normally try this early in the year. Had no after effects today- but all I have been thinking about today was a gentle 20 miler down to the seafront for a coffee and PIE. Got home- walked round the garden and got a phone call.

"You have got an hour before I pick you up as I have just booked you into a spinning class" It was my son-in-law who has to get fit in 6 weeks for a 55 mile ride.

No sweat- I could take it easy and just get the recovery ride in that way. Can't I? No. As soon as the class started- I was up to speed- sweating with the rest of them- putting the effort in and Wondering what the heart rate got up to in that last sprint. Only good thing is that I no longer need the recovery ride.

Don't think I could do one if I tried- My legs feel like jelly and my lungs are still trying to work properly. The final bit is- As I enjoyed it so much- he has booked me into the intense class on Thursday.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-28-08, 03:22 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I have tried several Spin Classes and they do serve a purpose, but Recovery is not that purpose! I don't have a son-in-law, and I can't imagine either of my daughter-in-laws trying a spin class, so I won't have that situation you had.

I use my single speed (42t x 16t) for recovery rides, as I will this evening, and coincidentally enough it will be for a ride to the beach and back. Seal Beach, CA in my case. The good thing about the single speed is that no matter who goes past me, it's pointless to chase. So I don't.

Also re: Spin Classes, I sweat an absolute pool and find it not as entertaining listening to the Heavy Beat (of whatever type) music, as I do watching the scenery going by out in the real world, or as real as we know it.

To each his or her own though, and good to hear you enjoyed it. At least it sounds as if you did!

Rick / OCRR
Old 04-28-08, 04:05 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the spin class concept and have found a good compromise - my iPod loaded with my favorite music (no thumping same beat techno crap) and a gym with spin bikes which are in a quiet room and not used most of the time (LA Fitness - Orange). I go on my terms - ride a good two hours and then leave, before the real class starts.My "class" btw harder than anything they do in spin.

I've never thought of spin class as a recovery class - I tend to push in spin class. To me a recovery ride, is a easy, flat, ride outside about 20 - 30 miles just to shake out the legs.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 04-28-08, 05:43 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spin classes: all that work and you go nowhere. Plus you get to breath everybody's exhaled air. Oh, and don't forget all the other people that have sweated on the bike.

I can see why they're so popular.
Old 04-28-08, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my recovery ride today, went to the LBS & got a longer stem on the bike, then bought a new Jersey with there name on it so ride on my century, then road to the wifes work. Between the 7 mile ride to work in the morning & the 21 miles to the LBS I figure that was good enough.

Better then spinning, I was able to buy something.
Old 04-28-08, 07:20 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I had a recovery ride today as well. I jumped into my car and rode up to a small cafe north of here and had a piece of crunch peach pie. I feel a lot better now!
Old 04-29-08, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like your son-in-law is not only going to get fit, but turn you into a racing machine! I can't remember where I read it, but for people who are reasonably fit, two or three strenous rides without a recovery in between actually boosts fitness. That is, if you have a rest day built in somewhere within the week.
Old 04-29-08, 10:49 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Sounds like your son-in-law is not only going to get fit, but turn you into a racing machine! I can't remember where I read it, but for people who are reasonably fit, two or three strenous rides without a recovery in between actually boosts fitness. That is, if you have a rest day built in somewhere within the week.
Was going out for that recovery ride tonght- but it is chucking it down. Tomorrow will be a swift hill- then Thursday the Intensive Spinning class. Friday I have off work so should get a respectable ride in but saturday is building the wifes- Pool time. Sunday however will be leisurely- Have set the OCR up for one of my neighbours 12 year old sons and taking him for his forst road ride. That will be a flat ride- but knowing him- He will empty my wallet at the Cafe. It will also be the first ride on a road bike for my son-in-law so don't expect much effort or energy to be used.

Spike Milligan