Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   old man eyes and cyclocomputers ... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/412976-old-man-eyes-cyclocomputers.html)

dalmore 04-30-08 07:02 AM

old man eyes and cyclocomputers ...

I still have 20/15 vision but I can't read anything - cyclcomputer included - without reading glasses. But I can't ride with reading glasses on. Surely someone here has solved this problem! Would you be willing to share the knowledge? I prefer something that I can attach to the computer like a magnifying film or something if anyone knows of such a thing.

TIA!

PirateJim 04-30-08 07:29 AM

Assuming you wear some sort of glasses while riding, they make little plastic "bifocal patches" that you can stick to the inside of sunglasses. They stick on by simply wetting them and pressing them on then letting them dry. I haven't used any for some years now (finally broke down and bought prescription sunglasses) but they worked pretty well. I don't think the optical quality was such that you'd want to read a novel through them, but they were fine for tieing a fishing line.

qcpmsame 04-30-08 07:39 AM

I've seen a stick-on magnifying lens for the face of an instrument. Let me do a search and see what I can come up with. Maybe SenDec has one for the inductive hour meters.

Bill

ajk03 04-30-08 08:16 AM

This link was posted in another 50+ thread on eye safety.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

They have reasonably priced bifocal safety glasses for sale.

Personally, I use some glasses from Performance with the stick-on insert for the reading portion. I got the inserts at Walgreens in the appropriate strength. I've actually purchased two sets. One set is in the tinted lenses for the Performance glasses and the other set is in the clear lenses. Gives me good vision regardless of lighting conditions.

Al

P.S. Here's a link to the eye safety thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=411467

Monoborracho 04-30-08 08:36 AM

I assume you mean you have 20/15 far vision but something less than 20/20 near vision. Ditto here.

I finally gave in about a year ago to using bifocal safety glasses, which I find to be an economical and safe solution. Here's a link:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...y-glasses.html

I use the DeWalts, third line down, and keep several pair in both clear (for early AM or rainy days) and gray. Highly recommended.

Allegheny Jet 04-30-08 09:00 AM

I have had the same problem. I originally purchased a pr. of prescription sunglasses with a transition lense that I use for driving and fishing (so I can tie on a lure) and for biking. I need to have the corrective lense to see the speedometer and HR monitor while riding and more importantly, to make any bike repairs. The sunglasses are not made for riding and and I have always been afraid they will blow off plus they don't look "sporty". I just recently purchased a pair of sunglasses at Gander Mountain that has small lenses attached to the sunglasses to allow reading. The are called "froggys". The sunglasses are available in several styles, shades and magnifications. The pair I choose look just like sporty riding glasses except for the small lenses attached to the outside of the sunglasses. I have used the new sunglasses several times and they work perfectly. I am able to clearly see the displays and still look down the road.

Paniolo 04-30-08 09:14 AM

I had been getting by, but with the Garmin gps Christmas present I couldn't see anything while riding. I got the stickon ones, they are removable/ reuseable but you wouldn't want to do that on a ride by ride basis. But when you get new glasses you could switch them over. I am able to clearly see the computer now. They are a little bothersome at times when looking out, and my eyes seem a little more fatigued. Then again this is my first use of bifocals ... just reading glasses before. I probably should have trimed them down a little for cycling glasses to resolve my issues.

I got them at www.stickonbifocals.com $13.99 including shipping. That was the best price I found on internet including ebay. Didn't check local stores like WalMart/Target.

oilman_15106 04-30-08 09:15 AM

Take a look at the Blackburn line of computers. The readout screen is quite large and very easy on the ole eyes. Here is an ebay link to one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Blackburn-Delphi...QQcmdZViewItem

The 4.0 and higher are wireless and have a cadence option(wired) included. I have these on several bikes and am quite pleased with the durability.

tsl 04-30-08 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by oilman_15106 (Post 6610959)
Take a look at the Blackburn line of computers. The readout screen is quite large and very easy on the ole eyes. Here is an ebay link to one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Blackburn-Delphi...QQcmdZViewItem

The 4.0 and higher are wireless and have a cadence option(wired) included. I have these on several bikes and am quite pleased with the durability.

I second that recommendation, and extend it to their new Neuro line. Blackburn site here. I just upgraded from the Delphi 4.0 to the Neuro 6.0. The display has higher contrast and the 2.4 GHz wireless has solved my interference problems.

qcpmsame 04-30-08 10:02 AM

The large font face computer seems to be the best bet short of prescription glasses. I cannot find an instrument type stick on magnifier using Google. Sorry.

Bill

skiph 04-30-08 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Monoborracho (Post 6610703)
I assume you mean you have 20/15 far vision but something less than 20/20 near vision. Ditto here.

I finally gave in about a year ago to using bifocal safety glasses, which I find to be an economical and safe solution. Here's a link:

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...y-glasses.html

I use the DeWalts, third line down, and keep several pair in both clear (for early AM or rainy days) and gray. Highly recommended.

Monoborracho (and others....):

These bi-focal saftey glasses....is only the bottom part of the lens the corrective part? The upper part is just regular, non-corrective plastic?

If so, is it a hard cut-off line from non to the corrective areas?

I'm now using the stick-on Optics on some Nashbar cycling sunglasses. Got one pair of the Optics, cut them to fit and put one 'stick-on' on the right side of the dark lenses and one stick-on on the right side of the yellow lenses so I can read the speedo. They work pretty good. But have to carry regular dollar store cheaters to read menus and change flats. No biggie there, but having cheap corrective sunglasses would be nice for cycling and other things.

Thanks.

bobbycorno 04-30-08 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by PirateJim (Post 6610324)
Assuming you wear some sort of glasses while riding, they make little plastic "bifocal patches" that you can stick to the inside of sunglasses. They stick on by simply wetting them and pressing them on then letting them dry. I haven't used any for some years now (finally broke down and bought prescription sunglasses) but they worked pretty well. I don't think the optical quality was such that you'd want to read a novel through them, but they were fine for tieing a fishing line.

...and fine for reading a cyclocomputer and maps/cue sheets. One cool feature is that since they're soft, you can cut them down (with sharp scissors) so they cover only the area you need. Got mine at Walgreens in Springfield, OR. $10, IIRC. Since I can't get my "old man" (progressive) prescription for my Rudy Project lens insert, I had to put up w/ single vision lenses when riding until I found out about these. They work!

Scott P
Bend, OR

dalmore 04-30-08 10:42 AM

You folks are great. I suspected my options were going to be prescription, stick on bifocal lenses or safety glasses that are already bifocal. I really would like to find a stickon magnifier for the computer screen but I'm not haveing any luck. Glad to hear the feedback on all these measures. I appricate it.

The large type computer would be ok with me failing all else. I like all the features of my Garmin but since I can't read it, I would get everything from it that I do now with it in my jersey pocket!

Camilo 04-30-08 04:33 PM

Sam's Club sells bifocal sunglasses too. Magnifier on bottom, no-correction sunglasses for the remainder. They aren't athletic type glasses, but they work well. 3 for $20 I think.

I'm going to get some bifocal wraparound safety glasses soon though. I use safety glasses for nearly all my outdoor activities, being too cheap to buy Rudy, or even the $30 Performance house brand. I've always been happy.

h2odog 04-30-08 05:28 PM

Bifocal safety glasses

I just purchased bifocal safety glasses in a gray tint with a 2.5 magnification in the lower part of the glasses perfect for those times needed when you have to read something. www.safetyglasses.com
The glasses cost about $10...some are cheaper.

JanMM 04-30-08 07:43 PM

Progressive addition lenses might work for some but I find they don't block the wind on "screaming downhills".
+1 to safety bifocals. I have two pair of cheap ones from http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html.

deanp 05-09-08 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ajk03 (Post 6610582)

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

They have reasonably priced bifocal safety glasses for sale.

Kudos to these guys. I ordered a pair the bifocals Wednesday, had a shipping confirmation with tracking number within two hours and received the glasses today. Looking forward to trying them out. Very reasonable prices also.

1955 05-09-08 01:19 PM

Thanks for all the info on the stick on lenses, I had Lasic a couple of months ago and need something for my Oakley's.

By the way, why does everyone call safety glasses with the reading prescription on the bottom, "bi"focals? There is only one focal area and to top is just optical glass with no prescription...

stapfam 05-09-08 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dalmore (Post 6611538)
You folks are great. I suspected my options were going to be prescription, stick on bifocal lenses or safety glasses that are already bifocal. I really would like to find a stickon magnifier for the computer screen but I'm not haveing any luck. Glad to hear the feedback on all these measures. I appricate it.

The large type computer would be ok with me failing all else. I like all the features of my Garmin but since I can't read it, I would get everything from it that I do now with it in my jersey pocket!

Have the same problem- but the only time I look at the computer ( Or rather the Garmin) is at the cafe- or when I get home. I would hate to see that the hill I just struggeld for miles was only a 5% for about 200 yards.

zacster 05-09-08 08:36 PM

I can still see the numbers but I have trouble with the small type of the mode display. The other thing I have problems with is the the cue sheet on club rides. I don't bother clipping them to my bars because I just can't see it, except in bright sunlight. But with sunglasses on it negates the sunlight so I'm back to square one.

Monoborracho 05-09-08 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by skiph (Post 6611377)
Monoborracho (and others....):

These bi-focal saftey glasses....is only the bottom part of the lens the corrective part? The upper part is just regular, non-corrective plastic?

If so, is it a hard cut-off line from non to the corrective areas?

I'm now using the stick-on Optics on some Nashbar cycling sunglasses. Got one pair of the Optics, cut them to fit and put one 'stick-on' on the right side of the dark lenses and one stick-on on the right side of the yellow lenses so I can read the speedo. They work pretty good. But have to carry regular dollar store cheaters to read menus and change flats. No biggie there, but having cheap corrective sunglasses would be nice for cycling and other things.

Thanks.

Just saw this so will bump it up again.

For the last several years I have worn no-line bifocals. I don't find the transition from bifocal and plain lens to be a problem.

I go from looking at the computer/heart monitor to focusing above the bifocals on the road ahead. Its not like a car or in an office where you are switching your focus amongst a paper in your hand, the guy across your desk, or the whiteboard on the other side of the room.

Its basically bifocals close, and everything else is far.

zonatandem 05-09-08 11:19 PM

If you are far-sighted, mnounted computer further away . . . like on fork blade/dropout.

byte_speed 05-10-08 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by dalmore (Post 6611538)

I have a Garmin also, and with lots of info on the screen, it is quite hard for me to read (but I can read it if I look hard enough).

I have a secondary large print computer for speed and time at a glance. If I want hear rate or %grade, etc., I just have to strain to see the Garmin. It also gives me some data for all the occasions when I forget to turn on the Garmin.

This probably won't be acceptable if you can't read the Garmin at all unless, as you suggest, you use it just as a data logger.

alexdrozd 05-15-08 05:40 AM

Here's something that might work.

http://www.boomersintheknow.com/mawaca.html

1955 05-15-08 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Paniolo (Post 6610949)
I had been getting by, but with the Garmin gps Christmas present I couldn't see anything while riding. I got the stickon ones, they are removable/ reuseable but you wouldn't want to do that on a ride by ride basis. But when you get new glasses you could switch them over. I am able to clearly see the computer now. They are a little bothersome at times when looking out, and my eyes seem a little more fatigued. Then again this is my first use of bifocals ... just reading glasses before. I probably should have trimed them down a little for cycling glasses to resolve my issues.

I got them at www.stickonbifocals.com $13.99 including shipping. That was the best price I found on internet including ebay. Didn't check local stores like WalMart/Target.

Using the link you provided, I ordered a couple of pairs that came in last night. I stuck a pair on my Oakley Half Jackets XLJ's and used them to drive in to work this morning...they are so cool!!! I was able to see my dashboard clearly for the first time since my Lasik surgery and can't wait for my ride after work today. They are crystal clear...I don't know, but for some reason I wasn't expecting the best vision through them, kind of expecting cheap hazy plastic. I bought a couple of different strengths and will experiment to see what works best for all around use.

Thanks!