Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me Find an Anatomic Bar

I'm getting back into cycling after too many years of 50's sloth. I'm building up a bike to teach myself wrenching and make it thoroughly my own. Either a sweet, used-to-be-new De Rosa or a Habanero frame.

My question: I currently ride with a Nitto noodle bar...I like the flat ramps behind the hoods with the hooks at the bottom still almost just above parallel to the road. (I don't like rotating bars so far upward to get flat ramps that riding the then steeply angled drops is uncomfortabe.)

Is there an alloy, 26.0 clamp anatomic bar anyone knows of that comes close to what I want? (I realize the trend wave in bars/stems is way past my intended build. But I like the look and versatililty of traditional quilled stems and don't find threaded headsets a problem.

Thanks....I've learned a ton here at Fifty Plus and gotten enough inspiration to keep me going into my 80's. I never thought getting back in shape could also be so much fun.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You might want to take a look at the Ritchey Biomax (II, Pro etc) series of bars. They are short reach and drop with a bend that seems to come close (not exactly) to what you want.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 05-03-08 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to www.modolo.com and look at their ergo bars. Might fit what you need and they come in 26's

Cinelli ProBestOf / Parlee Z5 / '89 Cinelli SuperCorsa / Look 585 Optima - all Campagnolo
    '85 Swiss Cilo / SingleSpd 44x18 for fun / Electra Techino's for city riding

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Fellow View Post
    Thanks....I've learned a ton here at Fifty Plus and gotten enough inspiration to keep me going into my 80's. I never thought getting back in shape could also be so much fun.
    Thought this was another thread about Nutrition- Never tried asnotomic bars and wondered what they tasted like. And if you think getting back into shape is fun- just wait till the hills arrive.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salsa has alloy, shallow drop, anatomical bars.

http://www.salsacycles.com/handlebars_road.html

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Thought this was another thread about Nutrition- Never tried asnotomic bars and wondered what they tasted like. And if you think getting back into shape is fun- just wait till the hills arrive.
    Heck, I thought it involved scantily clad women!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood View Post
    Salsa has alloy, shallow drop, anatomical bars.

http://www.salsacycles.com/handlebars_road.html
    Not sure if they are flat enough for what you are looking for, but I just got Short-n-Shallows and I love them. They come 26.0 and 31.8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all above-- I'll check out the links. As for Stapfam's hills, hopefully I'll develop that perverse, twisted smile of weird pleasure I see on more accomplished riders when they mention climbing. Well, I hope so.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coincidentally, I have a 26.0 anatomic bar out in my vehicle that I was thinking of exchanging. I was in the big city today and went by Perforance to get a credit, couldn't find the receipt, and they couldn't find it in my records since it was a "one-off" item when I bought it. I'll get the name and type tomorrow for you. Black alloy it is. Forty bucks it was. (I left the receipt on my desk in the study).

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of buying a Noodle bar to change out from the Nitto Randonneur that is on my 520 right now. How wide is the Noodle bar you have?
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of buying a Noodle bar to change out from the Nitto Randonneur that is on my 520 right now. How wide is the Noodle bar you have?

I am 5'8", short torso, long arms (not quite Clyde the Orangutang, medium build). I ride a 44" Noodle, wider than what seems to be the conventional bar fit, but I like the way it opens me up (I'm too slow to worry about aerodynamics) and I like the little bit extra leverage. Thanks, but I'm happily using the Noodle so I can't trade, but I do recommend it highly for a classic bar. I'd like to have an anatomic on my second bike just for variety.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Fellow View Post
    I'm getting back into cycling after too many years of 50's sloth. I'm building up a bike to teach myself wrenching and make it thoroughly my own. Either a sweet, used-to-be-new De Rosa or a Habanero frame.

My question: I currently ride with a Nitto noodle bar...I like the flat ramps behind the hoods with the hooks at the bottom still almost just above parallel to the road. (I don't like rotating bars so far upward to get flat ramps that riding the then steeply angled drops is uncomfortabe.)

Is there an alloy, 26.0 clamp anatomic bar anyone knows of that comes close to what I want? (I realize the trend wave in bars/stems is way past my intended build. But I like the look and versatililty of traditional quilled stems and don't find threaded headsets a problem.

Hi, Velo. I use a Noodle, a Randonneur, a B115, and a Ritchey Biomax II. I like all of the first three fairly evenly. The Ritchey is a true anatomic. If I tilt it far enough down to get my wrist angle comfortable while on the contoured drop area, the top ramp, which I wanted to be flat, must be angled down pretty far, maybe 30 degrees. I don't see yet how to place my Ergos for best reach, but suffice to say I am in a bit of a quandary.

I think I want to go to an FSA bar with curved hooks to ease the reach, but that requires a 31.6 mm mount, which requires a modern threadless stem, which requires a quill to threadless adapter!!!

In the modern market, the best design flexibility is no longer with quill stems!!!

Frustrated,

Road Fan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check to see if the ITM carbon wing wrap bar comes in the clamp size you need. My favorite bar. Stiff light with a little carbon bling and most important short reach and nice top flat places for your hands.