Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode with Fatboy today!

I did a 100 miler out of Chattanooga today that was in Seattle like conditions.....rain, more rain, wind, cool, etc. Except we were in Tennessee.

I hooked up with a small group before the 2nd of the 3 Mountains. One of the fellows was a local and knew the route and roads really well. He was in his mid 30's and 5' 11" with very little fat but probably weighed 230+. He looked more like a linebacker or catcher than a cyclist. His legs and calves were just huge.

He called himself "Fatboy".

He was very strong in the flats and descents but while he was strong his weight worked against him on the climbs. Being a windy day I tried to sneak in behind him every chance I could on the flats.
    He lead us to the second climb and then at the base he said it was about time for the Fatboy shuffle-meaning he'd get moved the back of our group or even dropped on the climb.

Genuinely nice fellow-and we enjoyed a chat after the ride. Another reason I enjoy doing these rides. You have a chance to meet some really nice folks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was on that ride and it was a miserable day ,if you are in town again look me up you can pm me for contact info if you like

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    I did a 100 miler out of Chattanooga today that was in Seattle like conditions.....rain, more rain, wind, cool, etc. Except we were in Tennessee.

I hooked up with a small group before the 2nd of the 3 Mountains. One of the fellows was a local and knew the route and roads really well. He was in his mid 30's and 5' 11" with very little fat but probably weighed 230+. He looked more like a linebacker or catcher than a cyclist. His legs and calves were just huge.

He called himself "Fatboy".

He was very strong in the flats and descents but while he was strong his weight worked against him on the climbs. Being a windy day I tried to sneak in behind him every chance I could on the flats.
    He lead us to the second climb and then at the base he said it was about time for the Fatboy shuffle-meaning he'd get moved the back of our group or even dropped on the climb.

Genuinely nice fellow-and we enjoyed a chat after the ride. Another reason I enjoy doing these rides. You have a chance to meet some really nice folks.
    Yep, it often comes down to the people, doesn't it? We've been on only one group ride (so far - the memorial ride) and our second will be today (City of Angels Fun Ride) but there are lots of other examples in life where hanging out with the folks makes a deeper experience, especially when they are nice as you describe 'Fatboy' to be.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dsteve View Post
    i was on that ride and it was a miserable day ,if you are in town again look me up you can pm me for contact info if you like

Will do! I enjoyed the town and the route-but the weather is another story!