Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Breathless Agony" 114 mi. 12,000 Feet

Hi All,

Here's my report of the 2008 "Breathless Agony" ride. Lovely ride, sells out fast! This was my third.
    Several other 50+ riders, but none in the 50+ jersey from bikeforums.net For more details on the ride, go to their website at: http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm

Drove into Sylvan Park in Redlands, CA at 5:30 AM and (for once!) got a primo parking spot for my Miata! Walked over Registration, saw Elise (OCRebel), then saw Caligurl (Linda), gave her a big hug, also saw SirLanceImNot (Chris), formerly of bikeforums.net, but pretty much on one else I knew.

Started right at 6:00 AM, as was my plan, with a very friendly and happy Master of Ceremonies Chuck Bramwell getting people started. Right after the start (like within one block) I hear "Hey Rick is that you?" from behind, and it's Lee (scvroadie) from bikeforums.net, so I talked with him as we rode out of town, plus rode with his whole (or at least part?) SCV (Santa Clarita Valley) team.

Eventually dropped Lee before Jack Rabbit Trail (the first Pass), but rode with SCV riders right up to that point. Once on JRT I found I was picking my way through the rubble pretty good, climbing easily, dropping other riders without even trying. So I was happy, but worried perhaps I was using too much effort too soon. JRT is very rough, marginally "paved" with lots of rocks and dirt sections.

Got to the first checkpoint right at 8:00 AM (Official Opening), took off vest, took off arm warmers, took off glove liners (yeah, I hate cold weather!). Checked in, refilled bottles, and off to Oak Glen. Lovely morning by this time, warmish in the sun, cool in the shade, but spun up in my (mostly 39 x 25t) lower gears, passed by four riders but I felt no inclination to chase!

Over the top quite easily (for Oak Glenn), 2nd Pass behind me, I hammered down the switchbacks, tucked for the straights and passed two of the riders who'd passed me on the climb! Into checkpoint #2, friendly volunteers all happy, filled my bottles, two electrolites (E-caps), a couple of Fig Newtons, and off up Damnation Alley.

What a long boring climb that is! Rode for awhile with Mike from Inland Inferno Tri-Club, then the rest of it by myself as I dropped Mike. Got passed by a few other riders (yeah, they started an hour after me!) but a girl in a SAG truck said I was "Number 8 on the road!" as I passed her truck.

"That's cool," I thought, but as riders passed me I became more like "Number 35 on the road." until that game became too depressing and I stopped counting. After the "U" turn at Forest Falls I was still riding well (for me), even though more riders were going by me. And no, I wasn't passing anyone at this point.

I was feeling a bit de-hydrated and since I had a huge (2-hour) cushion on the time limit I drank three Mountain Dew's, sucked two GU packets (Chocolate Mint! - yummy!) and talked to a bunch of riders, none of whom I knew before, but whatever. I saw an old friend (Jeff Ishmael) who I'd worked with at GT Bicycles, and he was feeling bad. Sliced a tire on Jack Rabit Trail, and was salting out badly. He eventualy turned back. On the other hand, I was feeling good, nothing hurt, and it was a beautiful day. All good!

Leaving Angeles Oak (3 Passes gone!), fueled by caffeine, I was feeling kinda super-charged and actually passed a few riders on the way to Barton Flats. Talked to them a bit and then rode on. Of course, other riders were passing me along here too, but I was feeling good, the bike was working perfectly, no worries!

Well, after Barton Flats the last 8 miles to Onyx are often a worry, but I was amazed that I was able to hold 8 mph. Okay, it helped that we had a wonderful tail-wind (at more than 8 mph, since I could feel it on my back), plus still powered by Mt. Dew, I had my easiest climb to Onyx in 3 BA's.

Once on top, huge party! I saw my friend Chuck (OCRebel, lightweight Taiwanese, v.strong) who had passed me before Angeles Oaks, then saw Brandy and George, Caligurl and Sir Lance (again), Vert. Bob (50+), Tome (from Norway, she's very fast!) Fast Larry (Carter) 50+, Dave Slaton, Sarah Lee, Robert Freese (50+), Keith Christensen, Andrew May, "Burrito Bob" Davidson (50+) . . . and whenever I started to think "Maybe I should head back" . . . more friends would roll into the Onyx checkpoint.

Plus (big plus!) they had chocolate covered strawberries! That's a first for checkpoint food for me (sorry, no pie!). Very (extremely) yummy. I drank a couple of Cokes, munched more cookies and strawberries (w and w/o chocolate). I was on top of Onyx (8, 440 feet of elevation) for probably an hour and half, but it was warm up there (for a change) so it was all good fun and visiting with friends. I took a photo of Caligurl and Sir Lance (with her camera) and told her she should post it on bikeforums! Her reply, "No, I don't post there anymore!"

Then I had to add, "Yeah, I know, just kidding!" She was nicely turned out with a pink jacket, and matching pink sunglasses! Too bad she doesn't post here either. Oh well.

Rode back down with Chuck Chen on my wheel, tucked in and passing lots of riders on the way to Barton Flats, rolling at 42 - 45 mph (easy to do on that drop) into a headwind. Chuck stayed with me on the climb up Barton (though he could have easily powered away), but then I inadvertantly dropped him when the road got twisty since he is a careful descender whereas I am . . . well, still kinda careful, but faster.

That's the only time I've ever dropped Chuck, since on ANY climb he can fly up the road. I hooked onto a Santiago Cycling peloton (8 - 10 riders), and drafted them all the way back into Redlands, and the park. Doug Patterson (50+) was the only Santiago rider I knew in that group, but they sure didn't mind several wheelsuckers hanging on (me included).

Big burrito feed after the finish, saw all the OCRebels that started after me (Linda, Arthur (50+), Tito (50+), Sheila (50+), Joe Rayburn, etc.) had a great lunch and we all waited for Kim, the tiny Vietnamese woman who is such a good climber and quite probably 50+ (though she refuses to reveal her age). Turns out she had been forced into a guard rail by a passing car, but only scraped her knee (and didn't hurt the bike!) when she crashed. It did slow her down a bit though.

In fact, this whole Breathless Agony was a beautiful ride for me, no worries, riding well within my capabilities, feeling no pain and turning in my best time ever. I think it was 7 hours and 6 minutes but will have to wait to see the "official" time when its published. I agree that the BA support was beyond excellent!

Kind got long there . . . sorry! Great ride though. I'd give it two thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who enjoys climbing!

To see videos of these passes, and see the scenery (per Chuck Bramwell) go to Youtube and in the search field, type in Breathless Agony

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-04-08 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Rick! I did this ride 2 years ago and I think my time to the summit was around 8 1/2 hours. Keith, (our club president), got 5 hours 12 minutes yesterday, but got beat by several riders, some of whom were close to the course record. I heard the weather was great.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! Nice job. I crossed the path of BA twice yesterday with my youngest son. He was doing his 25 mile ride for his Scouting merit badge. We crossed Beaumont Ave in our ride and I couldn't believe how many people were on this ride. Well done and
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report, almost breathtaking just reading it. Well done.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks big john, Metric Man and Lewis,

Yes, it was great fun and by far way easier than I thought it was going to be. I had good legs all day, so absolutely no complaints!

You all should give this ride a try next year!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report on a great ride, which reminds me of my first century (a double metric) in northern California in 1971. I think I slept for a full 12 hours afterward.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great day. And so many people and names. Apparently excercise does help brainpower.

Maybe if I ride more, I'll get smarter.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report.
    But now My...Knees...Hurt!
    Good job!

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Job Rick!!! Great report!!!
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks John E, Terex, RockyMtnMerlin and Dante,

And Terex, yes there were a lot of names! Dante is SoCal, so he knows some of these riders.

I mean, Breathless Agony is not a ride most casual riders would attempt, and I was blown away by how many of the riders I knew; either from riding with the same club (Orange County Rebel Riders), or folks I'd seen and ridden with on double centuries, or riders I'd met via bikeforums.net.

And we were partying on top of highest paved road in SoCal! How cool is that? Really, it's just amazing how tight the whole cycling community is, and how positive the vibe is. It's so positive, in fact, that even the Grim Reaper was rockin' out on top of Onyx .

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-05-08 at 09:16 AM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job Rick!

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job!

My Bikes
    Bicycle Transportation: 2013 Ford Focus Electric, 2010 Toyota Prius
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rick,

Sounds like a great time and more fun than my race at San Luis Rey on Sunday. Great to hear about all of the BF folk that you saw. I MIGHT try this ride in the future -- dirt roads are NOT my favorite.
    Thanks.
    Cleave
    "Real men wear pink."
    See my cycling photos at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/bicycling
    See my bikes at http://www.pbase.com/cleavel/mybicycles
    Visit my blog at http://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
    Lightning Velo Cycling Club: http://www.lightningvelo.org/

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, where is Onyx? There is a tiny town... no, smaller than a town..... in Kern county called Onyx. That's not it... is it?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yen, this Onyx is the high point on Hwy38 to Big Bear, about 40 miles up from Redlands. There is nothing there except a sign with the elevation, (8400), and a turnout. On this particular day, the Grim Reaper hangs out there, mainly for photo ops.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, just what big john said!

On Breathless Agony, Onyx is the goal, the top of the top, and where the clock stops. So it's a party, a celebration for all the riders who "completed" the ride. Even though . . . you still have 40 miles to go (mostly downhill) to the finish at Sylvan Park in Redlands.

The last 8 miles to Onyx are a fairly consistant slog, so reaching the top is a huge thing, esp. since you've been really, really wanting to see the top for the past hour (at least). I was climbing at 8 mph, so that's one hour from the base (Barton Flats) to Onyx.

It would be a good climb for you Yen!

Rick / OCRR

Lots of riders have their photos taken by the sign. This photo is from a BA Workers ride, before the Big Event.
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 05-06-08 at 11:39 AM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleave View Post
    Hi Rick,

Sounds like a great time and more fun than my race at San Luis Rey on Sunday. Great to hear about all of the BF folk that you saw. I MIGHT try this ride in the future -- dirt roads are NOT my favorite.
    Actually Cleave,

Jack Rabbit Trail is not dirt (well, not for long, maybe 20'), but mostly just broken up pieces of what used to be pavement (several decades ago, apparently). So you're basically picking your way around the biggest of the pot-holes and rock bits. It's pretty much like a mountain bike ride on a fire road.

There is one sand area, probably about where the "lake" was on the trail in '04. The sand almost took me down, but I recovered just in time. Then from Jack Rabbit Trail you get right on the shoulder of the freeway. Quite the change!

I think you would enjoy the ride though; lots of feet to climb!

Rick / OCRR