Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

riding with the youngster.

Had planned a ride with my son-in-law and a young lad from our road. Set the OCR up for the lad and the TCR for S I L. He did not show. But 10am and me and the lad were ready to roll. I know he is fit but this is the first time for him on a road bike. 20 odd miles planned and a breakfast. This is the lad that a couple of years ago I took on a 10 mile ride and he emptied my wallet at the cafe.

So back roads and Mups for the lad after a call at the bank to draw out money. Flattish ride with a couple of slopes to see if he could take it. He can. The two pics of him on his own are up a 10% and he climbed it in 30/13. Should have left him in the 42 as he would have been OK in that.

I wasn't sure of his road craft so I kept him in front of me most of the way and he was safe enough. Took to the mups as a safety precaution on the busier sections though. After all- he was riding my bike so didn't want it getting involved in an accident. Then for breakfast at my usual cafe. Met the 3 MTBers- I ride with if I am offroad so Left him with them while I ordered scrambled Egg on toast with bacon. Then it was time to head back- Bit of town work and then it was straight up the Cuckoo trail for home. It got a bit congested- but if he goes out with his mates for a ride- He now knows a "Safe" route to get down to the sea. On the way back I made certain he could change gear for the slopes- understood and could get a tow from other riders and made certain he was drinking enough. He's OK and another couple of rides and he will be safe enough to do his own rides- if he wants to.

This lad is 13- never ridden a road bike and like most youngsters- sits playing computer games if he is not out on his bike- playing football or generrally running around with his mates. Only problem is that I reckon I have now lost the OCR as a spare bike. I will have to set it up to suit him better and I doubt that I will be seeing much of the bike anymore. As next ride out- I am not going at his pace. He will have to follow me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks right at home on that bike. Next he'll need some cycling shorts and a 50- jersey
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Banned.
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a bike well invested. Great to hear of a new young rider. Well done SF!.

Bill

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Careful - those 13 yo and 14 yo chew me up on the organized rides.

Nice looking young man. They seem to grow them well across the pond!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful way to spend the day! I'll bet he remembers this day for the rest of his life. Well done, you!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Wonderful way to spend the day! I'll bet he remembers this day for the rest of his life. Well done, you!
    He sure will if Stapfam made him pay for breakfast. That's for sure.

Good on ya, Stap.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took my 11yo daughter on her first long ride today, also on a road bike. 42 miles on the 5 Borough Bike Tour in NYC. She's had the bike since last summer, and has been riding with me in the park, but never anything long like this. She did great, only starting to get tired on the last leg before we hit the Verrazano Bridge. This is probably the longest hill on the ride, and for her it seemed huge. She made it slowly, I stuck with her on it. At the other end of the bridge was the ride festival, where burgers and dogs awaited, so she stayed motivated enough to make it.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking young fellow! Sounds like a terrific day.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    He sure will if Stapfam made him pay for breakfast. That's for sure.

Good on ya, Stap.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good deal! Glad to see the OCR will be getting put to good use. It is a wonderful thing to get a kid interested in riding. But watch out. Sooner than you think, that kid will be sitting at the top of the big hills, waiting to laugh at the slow old geezer trying to keep up. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. My younger son is just a couple of months shy of 13 and he kills me on the hills - on the road. I enjoyed being able to work my way up some technical offroad climbs ahead of him today.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This lad is fit. He is going to kill me on the bike when he gets accustomed to it. On the Lycra- I gave him a long sleeve jersey and a pair of shorts I bought many years ago that are too small but he felt embarrassed wearing the shorts- so suggested he put a pair of ordinary shorts over the top -which he did. The saddle gave him some pain but that is normal till he gets the Butt hardened up. Dad will be able to get him a good bike if he stays at it but the OCR will suit him till he outgrows it so I have lost that for about 6 months.

Major problem is that he has a 21 year old Brother. He already cycles- but only on his commute to work on a hybrid for 8 miles each way to work. He was talking about coming out for a breakfast ride soon as he took one look at the pic and is jealous. And on the Mountain bikers- One of them caught us on the way home and stayed with us. When we got to a certain upslope for two miles- I suggested to the lad that he just keeps pressure on the legs all the way. He did and we lost that ultra fit mountain biker- that I normally struggle to keep in sight- let alone get anywhere near.

I'll just have to start doctoring the bike- Brake rub and 50 psi should slow him down on the next ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyable and uplifting report, stapfam

I'm yet to get out on planned outings with my 11 year old granddaughter. My illness has intruded, but hopefully by mid-week I'll be out of the house again, and tiding in her company. That'll be on her WallyWorld bike initially, but I'm hoping to enthuse her enough to lend substance to efforts aimed at getting her Dad to put her on a better bike. Small steps, but hopefully they still lead somewhere

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had someone to mentor me when I first started riding. This is one lucky young man to have someone with your experience, knowledge, and generosity.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you never see the OCR again it will be a small price to pay for what you've done for the young man. Job well done Stapfam.
    PS- Next time out teach him how to wear a helmet properly.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, very well done!