Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember .25 gas and lower during gas wars and it was pumped by an attendent that cleaned the windshield, checked and aired the tires and checked the oil. Stamps were given after the purchase. Also, my mom got stamps at the grocery store.

McDonalds hamburgers for .15 and real drive-ins with car hops. Homework everynight and teachers with discipline in mind. Learning slide ruler use in HS physics class and laughing at the first calculator owners when the batteries ran out during a test in Trig or Chemistry. Being respectful to all adults and being dressed neatly for school and in our Sunday best for church.

Riding my bicycle everywhere and not worrying. No A/C in our cars, home or schools until the early-mid 70's. Only 3 commercial TV channels, 3,5 and 10 and one PBS channel, 23. Naval Avation Cadets in summer whites on weekends at the restaurants and movies (no multiplexes)

Leaving for the Marines on a Greyhound bus to the AFEES Station and standing on the yellow footprints. Wondering what in the world I had done while being yelled at constantly. And I miss every bit of the past. My old friends and classmates save a few and especially my wife, Monica, are scattered. Only see one guy from the Marines and he was a long time classmate too. Those were the days.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    I remember when the Mariners used to win...

GO ANGELS!

I remember the Seattle Pilots, St. Louis Browns, Boston Braves, Philadelphia Athletics

I remember when the Dodgers and Giants moved from NY to California.

I remember the last time the Cleveland Indians won the Series, I was 6 years old.

My Bikes
    [redacted]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember,"Duck and Cover?"
    "We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

My Bikes
    Sun EZ-Tad SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember full-service gas at 17.9 cents/gallon during price wars. For that price, you got all of the windows washed, the lights washed, and your tire pressure checked. In addition, your oil, windshield washer fluid and fan belt all got checked if you said yes when asked if you wanted your oil checked. You also got green stamps and, on occasion, other goodies, such as set of 8 iced-tea glasses with a metal caddy to hold them. Oh, and if you were talking about south east/south central Ohio, the channels I remember were 3, 8 and 13. One of them (13, I think) had an all-night Saturday night horror/science fiction movie program named Chiller - my cousins, brothers & I watched as much as we could every chance we got.
    - Bob
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
    -- Will Rogers

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    I remember .25 gas and lower during gas wars and it was pumped by an attendent that cleaned the windshield, checked and aired the tires and checked the oil. Stamps were given after the purchase. Also, my mom got stamps at the grocery store.

McDonalds hamburgers for .15 and real drive-ins with car hops. Homework everynight and teachers with discipline in mind. Learning slide ruler use in HS physics class and laughing at the first calculator owners when the batteries ran out during a test in Trig or Chemistry. Being respectful to all adults and being dressed neatly for school and in our Sunday best for church.

Riding my bicycle everywhere and not worrying. No A/C in our cars, home or schools until the early-mid 70's. Only 3 commercial TV channels, 3,5 and 10 and one PBS channel, 23. Naval Avation Cadets in summer whites on weekends at the restaurants and movies (no multiplexes)

Leaving for the Marines on a Greyhound bus to the AFEES Station and standing on the yellow footprints. Wondering what in the world I had done while being yelled at constantly. And I miss every bit of the past. My old friends and classmates save a few and especially my wife, Monica, are scattered. Only see one guy from the Marines and he was a long time classmate too. Those were the days.

Bill
    Dang Bill with a couple of exceptions it sounds like we were raised together. our TV channels were 4,6.8, and 13, PBS was 20. I remember the yellow footprints with this DI screaming something and thinking the same thing you did. But I think these are the days, it has been a pretty great life so far.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yakmurph View Post
    Remember,"Duck and Cover?"
    Yup. I remember wondering how someone could be crazy and evil enough to drop a bomb on people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like many of us were raised in the same "style" and did many of the same things. I am greatful for the discipline from my parents, teachers, neighbors and the Corps. And yes I remember the "duck and cover drills" and the Civil Defense films in grade school especially during the Cuban Missle Crisis. The JFK, MLK and RFK assassinations made permenant impressions on me that I feel to this day. Wow, what a flood of memories. Great thread.

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Trek SU200, old Wards Hawthorne 3-speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK- since you asked!
    I remember:
    *Gas at 25 cents/gallon, sometimes down as low as $.19/gal if they had a good gas war
    *The first color TV show I ever saw- it was "Bonanza", & from the Chevy commercials I remember it must have been the fall of '63 or '64.
    *3 channels on the b&w TV, a 4th if we turned the antenna about 90*. I was about 12 years old when I was finally able to turn it myself.
    *We never locked the doors to the house or the car, usually left the keys in the car. After I was grown & married, my (former now for a long time)wife & I made a spur of the moment late-night trip from OKC to my parents home in NE Texas, probably 1976. Got there late, almost 3 am. They didn't know we were coming, house was dark- and the front door was unlocked. She was shocked!
    *Dial telephones! When's the last time you used one of those? We never had a party line.
    *Car sound system was an AM-only radio with a single speaker in the dash. Yup, I remember how to set those push buttons- tune the station, pull the button out, then push it in.
    *If you got in trouble at school, you got in worse trouble when you got home. Heck, my first grade teacher lived across the street & one house over from us- all through elem school, I couldn't get away with *anything*!
    *"Duck & cover", wow, hadn't thought of that in ages. Yup, we saw those films.
    *6-cent Cokes, in those little 6-oz(mebbe 6 1/2 oz?) bottles.
    *Dad taking me into the bank, & trading a dollar bill for a real Silver Dollar! Probably about 1957-8, age 4 or 5.
    *Drive-in movies!
    *Being in the last batch of kids in Texas to get their driver's license at age 14 with Driver's Ed. Drivng the family car- a 1960 Ford Galaxie 500, bought used in 65 or 66, it was our first famlily car with air conditioning.
    *Listening to my 6-transistor radio late at night, could often get WLS from Chicago on it!
    *Eating at places where each booth had one of those cool little jukeboxes in it!
    *Watching Red Skelton, Jack Benny, George & Gracie, Lucy & Desi, Captain Kangaroo(I think that's a probelm for kids today, no Captain Kangaroo!), Walt Disney, the Micky Mouse Club, and *Westerns*! Lawman, Maverick, Gunsmoke, The *****man, Yancy Derringer, Broken Arrow, Have *** Will Travel, The Rebel, Wanted Dead or Alive, Colt .45, and more- there were a *Bunch* of Westerns on TV when I was a kid.
    *Riding my Schwinn bicycle!
    LBS? Here, DNE!

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Catholic school. We were expected to go around the neighborhood and raise money for "pagan babies" in foreign countries who would end up in purgatory when they died unless we subsidized missionaries to save their little baby souls by getting them baptised.

Remember Miss Nancy and Romper Room? Anyone in the Bay Area remember Captain Satellite? Charlie and Humphrey? Mayor Art? Later: Creature Features?
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and when I was first married, the wife's income couldn't count toward qualifying for a mortgage because it was assumed she'd stop working when the first baby arrived.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I could get a coke for a dime a bag of chips for a dime and a snickers for a nickel. I mean you could get your after school sugar fix for a quarter. I remember eating beans, fried potatos and cornbread and thinking that was the greatest meal ever, and government cheese and bologna. Didn't know we were poor cause we always had food on the table and a warm bed and Mom could take nearly nothing and make a meal out of it. Now I pay more for bike parts in a month than I think my dad made some months. Hard to realize how easy most of us have it compared to our parents.
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Ghoulardi (Cleveland's Saturday night horror show host), Sky Bars, and Clark Bars.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember gasoline at 19.9 during a gas war, and that was in a high tax state where the total gas tax was about 14.

But, in about the same era, I remember my first job out of high school paying $1.47/hr, and my first job out of college (with an engineering degree) paying $3.70/hr. And I remember my car getting about 13 mpg (highway) on that cheap gas.

RT
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad owned a small Burger Shoppe in Santa Cruz, CA in the 70's. Burgers were 25 cents, 35 cents with cheese. Milkshakes were 40 cents. Nothing was over a dollar, except for Bob's Special Garden Hot Dog.

Gas was 45 cents, pay phones were 10 cents for all you could talk. If you had to make a call, you stopped at a pay phone or waited until you got home/to the office.

My first real 10 speed was for my paper route in the 70's. It was built by hand and cost $40, even with the custom paint job. I rolled the bars back with the brakes on my palms, because that's what was cool.

Mom would take us to the grocery store and spend $50 on a heavy shopping spree.

An ice cream cone at Thrifty Drug was 5 cents a scoop. The ice cream station was right next to the TV tube tester.

I miss Match Game.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the US used to Win wars!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Oh, and when I was first married, the wife's income couldn't count toward qualifying for a mortgage because it was assumed she'd stop working when the first baby arrived.
    Yup and there was no way around the requirement to have 10% down. I think that the payment had to be less than 25% of the man's take home income.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Commando Cody, Sky King and Howdy Doody on a mostly round black and white TV.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qcpmsame View Post
    McDonalds hamburgers for .15 and real drive-ins with car hops.
    Bill
    We had several of the Big Boy drive-ins in our area and car hopping was my first summer job. It was a tough job but the tips were great.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember sitting out on the front porch on summer nights and listening to my mother talk with neighbors who had also stepped outdoors to enjoy the end of another day. I remember being spellbound listening to "grown up" conversations, and wondering how anyone could have that many stories, events, of things to talk about.

I remember being a teenager and thinking that the talk that used to keep me spellbound was now nothing more than "geezer talk", and that old people (anyone over 30) didn't know anything.

I remember the first time my wife and I caught ourselves participating in "geezer talk" and laughing at ourselves. I remember watching my own children sneaking closer to us in order to listen to our "grown up" conversations. It was about at this same time that I remember thinking my parents were actually a whole lot smarter than I thought they were.

I remember watching my own teen aged children roll their eyes as they walked into a room where adults were talking about what they remembered and "the way things used to be". I also remember overhearing them refer to me as a "geezer" for the first time, and being caught between wanting to let them know I overheard them or just walking away (wisely, I walked away).

I remember last night's dinner when my oldest son came to visit and joined us, and he started a conversation with, "Hey, do you remember when..."
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when you had to boil or fry a hot dog...now we "nuke" em in 30 seconds!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of my fondest memories are:

My grandfather worked for the county. He often brought the road grader home for lunch and he would let me ride with him in the afternoon as he graded the nearby gravel roads.

We had a screened-in front porch and this was my favorite sleeping place on hot summer nights...no air-conditioning in those days.

This time of year I spent many weekends plowing the fields getting them ready for planting. My step-dad built a wooden box and attached it to the Ford tractor so my dog could ride with me.

Going down to the local creek for a swim after baling hay in the summer.

Stopping at the only restaurant in town after school for a coke and chips....the total bill was $0.15.

Buying my first car at age 17. It was a 1951 Ford with way too many miles on it. I paid $100 for it and it lasted me for two years before it finally died I replaced it with a cool '55 Chevy. I wish I still had that one.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Our first non-party line phone number was "Franklin 5-7545."
    -Gas at a perpetual 29.9
    -Being on a class picnic Washington Park on a beautiful November day and a classmate running from home to tell us JFK had been shot
    -Gathering in the school gym to watch astronauts launched (on a small BW tv)
    -One channel - 5 with Captain Video on Saturdays
    -Riding the bus to school and if you got caught breaking any one of the 100 rules, getting kicked off the bus
    -My Dad always had is Ray Ban sunglasses at the ready if the sun was too bright through the windshield of our brown 52 Ford - which had a push button radio
    -I played Little League baseball for one season - I was horrible so went fishing instead the remaining summers
    - Going to see the principal in 6th grade (for fighting at recess) and seeing my Mom sitting there too
    And of note, I still see that principal and his wife often here in town and they are the nicest people in the world.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man View Post
    I remember when you had to boil or fry a hot dog...now we "nuke" em in 30 seconds!
    Or blow them up if you forget to puncture them
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add this to my list- if you were in the Philly area in the 50s, had access to a Philco or Dumont (and if you don't know what these were, you're too young...) you'd probably remember the little guy in my avatar. Here's a quiz for you Philly kids (notice that I didn't spell it "kidz" thereby proving that I'm old enough to be in 50+ ):

1. Can you name him?

2. How about the host of the TV show- what was his name?

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pushbutton radios in cars- do you remember how you set the buttons to tune in a station?

Yes i do. you pulled the button out, after setting the dial to the station you wanted and then pressed it back in. At least on our 62 Olds 98 it worked that way.
    I recall buying gas during a price war for 19 cents a gallon.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast