Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    Radio! Inner Sanctum; John Steele, Adventurer; X Minus One! Later on, in the 1960s, Jean Shepard and Long John Nebel.

Paul

When I was young radio was completely different. KPPC was an "underground" radio station, funded by the National Science Foundation, and run out of the basement of a church in Pasadena. With DJ's like Outrageous Nevada, B Mitchell Reed, The Obscene Steven Clean, Elliot Mintz(Now Paris Hilton's Publicist) and Barry Hansen who later became Dr. Demento. Featuring material like The Johnny Otis Show, The Credibility Gap featuring Harry Sherer and Michael McKeen(Spinal Tap), the Firesign Theater, and promos by The Persuasions. I remember getting free tickets from them for a Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band concert. What an amazing show.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jedde View Post
    And who can forget the 1974's infamous "ten cent beer night" at Cleveland Stadium...I wasn't there
    I was at Cleveland Municipal Stadium for the first Monday Night Football game, in about 1971 against the NY jets. Terrible seats in the end zone.

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember listening to the Johnny Otis ("Otis, Otis, Otis") show after we moved from Nebraska to Redondo Beach in the LA area. This was during my Junior High-Freshman in HS years, 1952-1954 but I thoght he was broadcasting from a small station in Long Beach, CA? Don
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Schwinn Traveler, Giant Cypress
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Curb feelers on cars

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollo_ollo View Post
    I remember listening to the Johnny Otis ("Otis, Otis, Otis") show after we moved from Nebraska to Redondo Beach in the LA area. This was during my Junior High-Freshman in HS years, 1952-1954 but I thought he was broadcasting from a small station in Long Beach, CA? Don
    It could well be. Was that KNAC? KPPC's heyday was 1968-71. In high school, I got to see him play at the Palladium with Little Richard, and Chuck Berry. Quite a fine concert.

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember riding down in the "swag" of a girls bike cause I could not reach the pedals yet... so I coasted down the hill with my hands up on the handlebars. That is how I learned to ballance the bike. Been balancing ever since.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember a gas war where I bought it for .19.9 a gallon. That was about 1970. Bought lots of gas for .29.9

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    When I was young radio was completely different. KPPC was an "underground" radio station, funded by the National Science Foundation, and run out of the basement of a church in Pasadena. With DJ's like Outrageous Nevada, B Mitchell Reed, The Obscene Steven Clean, Elliot Mintz(Now Paris Hilton's Publicist) and Barry Hansen who later became Dr. Demento. Featuring material like The Johnny Otis Show, The Credibility Gap featuring Harry Sherer and Michael McKeen(Spinal Tap), the Firesign Theater, and promos by The Persuasions. I remember getting free tickets from them for a Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band concert. What an amazing show.
    Outrageous Nevada! I couldn't believe she was on the air with that voice. BMR was on KFWB am when they played music, later on KMET before it became KTWV. He was gone by 52 or 54 from smoking.
    I used to listen to Elliot Mintz on KPFK public radio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Outrageous Nevada! I couldn't believe she was on the air with that voice. BMR was on KFWB am when they played music, later on KMET before it became KTWV. He was gone by 52 or 54 from smoking.
    I used to listen to Elliot Mintz on KPFK public radio.
    She made an onstage appearance at the Captain Beefheart concert. If you can believe it, she looked even better than she sounded. She was built like a brick!

I remember when she and her husband Les Carter would bring the kids in the studio with them if they were doing a show together. That was always good for adlibs.

My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a young one in Baker Oregon, we used to watch a show called Creature Feature on Saturday nights. It was all the old black and white horror films from the past. Good stuff!

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had Sammy Terry that did the creature feature.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could well be. Was that KNAC? KPPC's heyday was 1968-71. In high school, I got to see him play at the Palladium with Little Richard, and Chuck Berry. Quite a fine concert.

It was KFOX in Long Beach, but my memory must be failing a bit, as Johnny Otis' bio says he was a DJ there beginning in 1955. I thought it was a bit earlier.
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey SF Bay Area people: Who remembers, "KDIA - lucky 13"?
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    How about this one? You'd go out to get the milk (in glass bottles then, and delivered by a milkman),
    I can even remember horse drawn milk carts. A local dairy in Des Moines operated horse drawn milk carts until the 50's. The advantage was that the milk man could carry enough bottles with him to deliver to several houses and the horse would meet him at the next corner.

The ice man had a truck. We'd put a card in our kitchen window to tell him how big of a block of ice to bring in.

My Bikes
    Dean, De Rosa, Langster, some old Brit track iron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm from Staten Island and I remember the SI ferry was a nickel. And I still have a 15 cent NYC subway token.

My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my 1970 GTO Judge......man, I miss that car.

My Bikes
    [redacted]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Sears 10-speed with the leather Brooks-clone saddle; rat-trap pedals, chromed steel toe clips with twisted white leather straps, chrome steel wheels, chrome steel handlebars, chromed steel crank arms:
    this bike was passed on to my baby sister and then, after a quarter century of service, was retired.

Moral?

Remember steel?
    "We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    -Buckaroo Banzai

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She made an onstage appearance at the Captain Beefheart concert. If you can believe it, she looked even better than she sounded. She was built like a brick!

I remember when she and her husband Les Carter would bring the kids in the studio with them if they were doing a show together. That was always good for adlibs.
    I still have the Hot Rats album with Captain Beafheart doing the title track. Wish I had the Mothers of Invention "Absolutely Free" from 1965. It had "Trouble Comin' Every Day", about the Watts riots of that year.
    Whatever happened to Dr Demento?

Semper Fi, A way of life. qcpmsame's Avatar
    My Bikes
    CAAD 10 4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dr. Demento still does a syndicated radio show featuring his usual off the wall selections. On Sunday nights at 2200 CDT here. fun to listen to the strange tracks he comes up with. How about the King Biscuit Flour Hour? Anyone else remember that one?

Bill
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me" Philippians 4:13

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between my junior and senior year in HS, age 17, I obtained a "Minor's Release" with approval of my mother and help from a local judge. I drove my '51 Chevy 150 miles to Odessa, Texas and found a summer job in the oilfield. I stayed in a $4 per night motel and had breakfast and supper from an ice chest I kept in the room. I did this for over 2 months and saved over $700 that summer. I finally quit and went home when two-a-days started for football.

I can't imagine doing such as that in this day and age.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    I forgot to add this to my list- if you were in the Philly area in the 50s, had access to a Philco or Dumont (and if you don't know what these were, you're too young...) you'd probably remember the little guy in my avatar. Here's a quiz for you Philly kids (notice that I didn't spell it "kidz" thereby proving that I'm old enough to be in 50+ ):

1. Can you name him?

2. How about the host of the TV show- what was his name?
    I was going to mention your avatar when I noticed it in another thread. Pretty much every Philly kid from then should be able to name Bertie the Bunyip and ? Dexter...was it Lee Dexter? There were a bunch of local hosts in those days...Pete Boyle, Wee Willie Weber, Happy the Clown, Gene London...and the most famous:

I remember when Dick Clark hosted Bandstand from west Philly.
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water filled pop cooler with the bottles hanging in rows by brand, you put your dime in and then you could pull one bottle through the little mechanical gate.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    Water filled pop cooler with the bottles hanging in rows by brand, you put your dime in and then you could pull one bottle through the little mechanical gate.
    ...you had to use the bottle opener screwed to side of the machine, and put the empty in a wooden case left sitting next to the machine.
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoste View Post
    ...you had to use the bottle opener screwed to side of the machine, and put the empty in a wooden case left sitting next to the machine.
    2 cent deposit if you leave the store with the bottle.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    We used to try to get more than one bottle through by tailgating the first bottle. I don't recall ever succeeding, though.

Another trick was to bring a bottle opener and a straw. Of course, I never tried that, but I did hear rumors.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345