Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember When.....

Okay, just for fun, what can you remember?

Riding in to work this morning and noticing the gas signs for $3.89 for low-end 87 octane and it got me thinking.

I remember when I pumped gas in the 70's for 65 cents a gallon and getting chewed out by the customers for the ridiculous prices.

This can be fun. I'm sure my dad bought cigs for a quarter a pack.

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariner Fan View Post
    Okay, just for fun, what can you remember?

Riding in to work this morning and noticing the gas signs for $3.89 for low-end 87 octane and it got me thinking.

I remember when I pumped gas in the 70's for 65 cents a gallon and getting chewed out by the customers for the ridiculous prices.

This can be fun. I'm sure my dad bought cigs for a quarter a pack.
    Yea, me too but I was making 2.35 per hour. Then my care got gallons per mile instead of MPG. All is not lost.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started working as a TV repairman in 1961 for $1.50 per hour.
    Gasoline was $.24 per gallon at some stations.
    I paid $150 for a 1953 Ford, ran good.
    Got married in 1962
    I was an Idiot.

My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember gas at $.25 for regular and $.35 for high test. I can remember MacDonalds burgs at a quarter a piece. Shoot I can remember going on a date with $5 in my pocket and still had money at the end of the night.

I remember liking the Red Skelton Show, hating The Ed Sullivan Show, and The Lawrence Welk Show. Our parents decided what was watched on TV.

We had to do our chores on Saturday then we had to get the heck out of the house or our parents would "Give us something to do". We had to be home by five for dinner or else!

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember "gas wars" between stations across the street, and prices would sometimes go as low as $.25/gallon.

I remember when gas stations served you, and the Texaco guys were in white shirts and bow ties.

I remember when you got "gifts" at gas stations, like stemware, or toy trucks, or whatever, if you filled the tank.

I remember when the attendant said, "Check the oil?" and automatically checked the air pressure in all the tires.

I remember when you could say, "Give me $3 worth."
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recall getting green stamps when purchasing gasoline at $0.24 per gallon. Also of note, there were only three commercial television stations plus the public tv station. I lived in eastern Ohio going to college after 4 years in the army and having cable TV back in early '70's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When McDonalds first arrived in this area, hamburgers were 15 cents, cheeseburgers were 20 cents. They also sold fries, milkshakes, and Coke, but I can't remember those prices.
    I think the items I listed were the entire menu in those days.
    Last edited by Louis; 05-04-08 at 06:00 PM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlharrison View Post
    I recall getting green stamps when purchasing gasoline at $0.24 per gallon. Also of note, there were only three commercial television stations plus the public tv station. I lived in eastern Ohio going to college after 4 years in the army and having cable TV back in early '70's.
    If I remember right, those channels were 3, 5, and 8, and the public station was 43?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember filling the tank of my 68 Volkswagen micro bus @ eighteen cents per gallon.

FWIW, that van got around 25 MPG on the highway, exactly the same as my Honda Element. The Honda, however is faster, is air conditioned, has a real heater, and hopefully won't require a valve job every 20,000 miles. It also has lots cleaner emissions.

Am I going to lose retro grouch points over this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    If I remember right, those channels were 3, 5, and 8, and the public station was 43?
    I remember 3, 5, and 9. Channel 9 later became channel 8. I'm assuming you're referring to Cleveland.

Later we got a UHF signal out of Akron, channel 49...I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that I could remember, but I've forgotten what it was that I remembered.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when we wrote something called "letters" with "pens" and used the US Mail with 3 cent stamps, 1 cent for something called a "postcard."

I remember when you could dial "0" for the operator and ask her - it was always a her - for the time.

I remember we never locked our house, and didn't even know where the keys were.

I remember a generator that supplied electricity, and they turned it off at 8pm

I remember a crank phone with 13 people on the party line, and our number was 2 longs and two shorts. And it often shorted out whenever we had a snowstorm. It was a single bare wire on pegs with insulators nailed into convenient trees.

I remember a wooden oak ice box and getting a 25 lb block of ice every 3 days.

How about listening to the radio to the "Great Gildersleeve" and "Let's Pretend" and "Dimension X-x-x-x-x "

I can remember when there WEREN'T any McDonalds.

I paid $100 for my 49 Plymouth and sold it 40,000 miles later for $200. And it had a pink and black dashboard (my own paint job).
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 05-05-08 at 05:56 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gas was as low as 17.9 during a gas war in 1973. Even when it was .35 I put in two bucks, cause that was all I could afford. I was in college then. In the 60s in Eastern Iowa with an antenna we got channels 2, 4, 6,7, 8, 9 and 11. Sometimes got channel 3 too. My first regular hourly job paid $1.55 an hour in 1971. In 1970, I groomed horses six days a week for $350 per month. That was a good wage.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

I remember a crank phone with 13 people on the party line, and our number was 2 longs and two shorts.

On our party line our ring was 3 shorts. I still know people who never lock their house.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1964-68, University of Northern Iowa. Gas about .25/gas, cigs about .25/pack. I sold my first car, a 1959 VW for about what I had in it, $600, to buy a 1953 Ford Victoria 2-Dr Hardtop for $200 so I could say I had a flathead V-8 and a big back seat. Traded that and about $1000 (big money) a year or so later for a 1962 Chevy Nova convertible while I was working my first post-high school job as a radio announcer. Next year I made $15/wk working in a two-way radio shop to cover my spending money during the school year. We went from an operator assisted line to dial while I was a Junior in high school When I went into the USN after college in 1968, Olympia beer was $2.40/case from the BX in Japan; Pepsi was $3.00. Bought a new Bridgestone 10-speed for about $100 US, and a 1966 Honda S800 sports coupe for $500.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember real silver coins, the old mercury dimes, liberty quarters and half dollars, the buffalo nickel as regular change, and that change was worth something.

I remember these new buildings going up with the strange name of "Ebbets Field", I didn't know anything about what what was there before.

I remember my parents watching "I Love Lucy" before it went into endless reruns.

I remember the '59 Chevy Impala being long and sleek, whereas the '58 was boxy. Every car after that seemed that way too until gas went up over $.75 and people started buying smaller cars. I remember every model year of chevy being introduced on Bonanza.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at a conference today of about 200, and I was stunned by the extraordinary number of people who were much more than a little overweight.

As a little kid, I remember JFK saying that Americans were out of shape and that we needed to exercise more. At the time about 13 percent of adult Americans were considered obese. Today it's more than 30 percent.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883555.html
    Last edited by Jet Travis; 05-04-08 at 08:28 PM.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    My wife and I rented a house for a year. At that time the way that you did it in Ames, Iowa was to have the tenants who were moving out show you the house. Then, if you liked it, you'd call the landlord on the phone and work out what the rent was going to be. "Lease? We don't need no stinking lease." Anyway, the old tenants told us they didn't have a key for the door. The landlord had told them to install a new lock and deduct the cost from the rent. They just never got around to doing it. A year later we showed the house to another young couple and had to tell them the same story.

Another thing that was commonly done in Ames at that time was to leave your car running during the winter while you did your week's grocery shopping. That way it'd be nice and warm when you got back in.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can remember when cokes from a machine went from 5 to 6 for an 8oz bottle.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Passage 3.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can pretty much vouch for everthing so far. And add that I owned a Studebaker, a Willys, '55-'57 Chevvys when they were just "used cars". Don't forget polio shots, and school lunches that were not out of a machine.
    It sure seems that life was simpler then, but I guess every generation has it's ups and downs.

John
    Slow but steady

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when:
    1. We got our first dial phone and no longer had to give the number we wanted to call to the operator.
    1a. Party lines!
    2. Numbers were added to exchanges, so that phone numbers were seven digits, not six.
    3. McDonald's was the new kid on our block- Gino's was there first.
    4. Virtually every new car had tail fins.
    5. Every kid wanted an "English racer" bike- the hot new thing.
    6. We had to duck and cover.
    7. Pushbutton radios in cars- do you remember how you set the buttons to tune in a station?
    8. "Hardtops"
    9. Drive-ins.
    10. It seemed like every draftee (remember them?) went to Germany for a tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember leaving the house on a summer morning, and the only rules where; don't get in trouble, and be home for dinner. Everybody knew who you where, and knew your parents. The cops knew who you where. If you did something stupid your parents knew about it before you got home. If you got hurt someplace where you shouldn't have been, there where no law suits, you got patched up first, and punished second, the end. And the world was very much bigger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    I remember when:

7. Pushbutton radios in cars- do you remember how you set the buttons to tune in a station?
    I remember how to do that, but I have to re-read the manual when I have to reset my buttons today

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblejohn View Post
    and school lunches that were not out of a machine.

John
    When I was in first grade (1960), school lunches were 25 cents. Thirty-five cents got you lunch and an ice cream cone. If you brought your lunch, you could buy a half-pine of milk for two cents.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when the Mariners used to win...

GO ANGELS!
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast