Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Neil_B

Impromptu 50+ meet-up

I had pulled into the Betzwood trailhead on the Schuylkill River Trail for water, and as I began to roll to a stop, I heard someone shout "Is that The Historian?" I turned my head as "BSLeVan" wheeled up on his flashy road bike. We rode together for about ten minutes before we had to part because our routes diverged.

Has anyone here ever had an unplanned meeting with another 50+ poster? This is my second, having met "Guybierhaus" two months ago in Pottstown on the trail there.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we met at the Pleasant Mills Cemetery on the century loop for the MS150 City to Shore last year! What am I, chopped liver? (Only kidding, Neil- actually, I hope to run into you, the other Neil, BSL, and other DelVal BF denizens over the season.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope to have one in Lancaster this August! I'm the slow one on the red bicycle.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, here in SoCal it happens a lot. I've met "big john," "roadfix" (George), "Dante," "Vertical Bob," and probably more I'm not remembering at the moment, all on local rides. I have yet to meet a 50+ woman from the forum, however.

Maybe someday . . .

Rick / OCRR

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    Well, we met at the Pleasant Mills Cemetery on the century loop for the MS150 City to Shore last year! What am I, chopped liver? (Only kidding, Neil- actually, I hope to run into you, the other Neil, BSL, and other DelVal BF denizens over the season.)
    Yes, I had forgotten. My apologies.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes, I had forgotten. My apologies.
    No apologies needed! Just glad you made it! Gonna do the 175 this year? I've got the weekend carved out so I'm going for it, although I hear the return trip can be a drag with the westerly winds (and, oh the 100mi from the day before).

Neil_B
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
    No apologies needed! Just glad you made it! Gonna do the 175 this year? I've got the weekend carved out so I'm going for it, although I hear the return trip can be a drag with the westerly winds (and, oh the 100mi from the day before).
    Yes, and a Pittsburgh- DC tour in three weeks or so that I'm woefully undertrained for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I met Mrs BikeArkansas when riding the Joe Weber Arky 100. But I didn't know it at the time. She was helping with one of the rest stops.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Yes, and a Pittsburgh- DC tour in three weeks or so that I'm woefully undertrained for.
    You'll be fine. Your itinerary seems reasonable. Just don't do what I failed to do one morning last year -- check my tires before starting out. I checked the trailer tire and it was OK, but I forgot about the bike (it was OK the day before). I couldn't figure out why I seemed to be dragging an anvil behind me. My rear tire was severely underinflated. And to think I yelled at the girls for carrying too much unecessary sh** along with us.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I met TruF at teh Wine Country Century. I wasn't wearing my 50+ flag, but two of my riding buddies were, so she came over and said "Hello"

Kinda cool, this internet thing. I think it may catch on.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com