Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-08, 06:15 AM   #1
Neil_B

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Impromptu 50+ meet-up

I had pulled into the Betzwood trailhead on the Schuylkill River Trail for water, and as I began to roll to a stop, I heard someone shout "Is that The Historian?" I turned my head as "BSLeVan" wheeled up on his flashy road bike. We rode together for about ten minutes before we had to part because our routes diverged.

Has anyone here ever had an unplanned meeting with another 50+ poster? This is my second, having met "Guybierhaus" two months ago in Pottstown on the trail there.
Old 05-05-08, 08:12 AM   #2
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, we met at the Pleasant Mills Cemetery on the century loop for the MS150 City to Shore last year! What am I, chopped liver? (Only kidding, Neil- actually, I hope to run into you, the other Neil, BSL, and other DelVal BF denizens over the season.)
MTBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 08:56 AM   #3
aqua4her

Bikes:
I hope to have one in Lancaster this August! I'm the slow one on the red bicycle.
aqua4her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 09:36 AM   #4
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Yes, here in SoCal it happens a lot. I've met "big john," "roadfix" (George), "Dante," "Vertical Bob," and probably more I'm not remembering at the moment, all on local rides. I have yet to meet a 50+ woman from the forum, however.

Maybe someday . . .

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 09:51 AM   #5
Neil_B

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
Well, we met at the Pleasant Mills Cemetery on the century loop for the MS150 City to Shore last year! What am I, chopped liver? (Only kidding, Neil- actually, I hope to run into you, the other Neil, BSL, and other DelVal BF denizens over the season.)
Yes, I had forgotten. My apologies.
Old 05-05-08, 10:00 AM   #6
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Yes, I had forgotten. My apologies.
No apologies needed! Just glad you made it! Gonna do the 175 this year? I've got the weekend carved out so I'm going for it, although I hear the return trip can be a drag with the westerly winds (and, oh the 100mi from the day before).
MTBLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 10:01 AM   #7
Neil_B

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBLover View Post
No apologies needed! Just glad you made it! Gonna do the 175 this year? I've got the weekend carved out so I'm going for it, although I hear the return trip can be a drag with the westerly winds (and, oh the 100mi from the day before).
Yes, and a Pittsburgh- DC tour in three weeks or so that I'm woefully undertrained for.
Old 05-05-08, 10:36 AM   #8
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I met Mrs BikeArkansas when riding the Joe Weber Arky 100. But I didn't know it at the time. She was helping with one of the rest stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 11:14 AM   #9
jagraham
Senior Moment Member

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
Yes, and a Pittsburgh- DC tour in three weeks or so that I'm woefully undertrained for.
You'll be fine. Your itinerary seems reasonable. Just don't do what I failed to do one morning last year -- check my tires before starting out. I checked the trailer tire and it was OK, but I forgot about the bike (it was OK the day before). I couldn't figure out why I seemed to be dragging an anvil behind me. My rear tire was severely underinflated. And to think I yelled at the girls for carrying too much unecessary sh** along with us.
jagraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-08, 11:21 AM   #10
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I met TruF at teh Wine Country Century. I wasn't wearing my 50+ flag, but two of my riding buddies were, so she came over and said "Hello"

Kinda cool, this internet thing. I think it may catch on.
cccorlew is offline   Reply With Quote