Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three interesting things from Saturday's ride

1. The space shuttle Discovery rolled out Friday night, and by Saturday morning at 8:30 it was just making its way up to the pad. It was quite a sight.

2. I ran over a snake that slithered out in front of me.

3. I stopped at a convenience store for some water and Gatorade. A guy in a pickup dressed in camo with a four-wheeler in the back pulled up to the gas pumps and when he opened the door, a small pig jumped out. I heard him tell another guy that it was a baby wild pig he caught last week. He chased it around the parking lot, and then put out some food for it and caught it. He picked it up by the back legs, and it squealed like a, well, pig, and he put it back in the truck and he drove off.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If ever there was a ride report that needs pictures, this is it!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that was an interesting ride. I would have ended it after running over the snake
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, definitely a ride that warrants some visuals!

I inadvertantly ran over a small snake a couple of weeks ago. Made the mistake of looking directly at it as it tried to make its way across the MUP and it's true that you should never look directly at whatever you are trying to avoid. My front tire went exactly where I was looking. I'm not squeamish around snakes, I just felt really, really bad about running over it. My husband stopped to see how it was and said it kept on slithering. Did your snake survive, K?
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just summed up Florida in a 3-bullet report.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what he was gonna do with that pig?
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    I wonder what he was gonna do with that pig?
    The funny part is that he is driving around with it, a week after capturing it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try not to run over snakes....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The funny part is that he is driving around with it, a week after capturing it.
    Yeah, I'm wondering if his dog died and he's trying out the pig as a replacement.

To the OP, if I had a ride like that, I think I'd turn right around, walk back into that store and see if they had any lottery tickets for sale. I mean the "Gods of the odds" were having fun that day (no offense intended to the monotheistic of us out there).
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Yes, definitely a ride that warrants some visuals!
    Truly an amazing ride; definitely needs pictures.

This is what I was thinking while reading the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    1. The space shuttle Discovery rolled out Friday night, and by Saturday morning at 8:30 it was just making its way up to the pad. It was quite a sight.

2. I ran over a snake that slithered out in front of me.

3. I stopped at a convenience store for some water and Gatorade. A guy in a pickup dressed in camo with a four-wheeler in the back pulled up to the gas pumps and when he opened the door, a small pig jumped out. I heard him tell another guy that it was a baby wild pig he caught last week. He chased it around the parking lot, and then put out some food for it and caught it. He picked it up by the back legs, and it squealed like a, well, pig, and he put it back in the truck and he drove off.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 05-06-08 at 11:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gave the camera to my children a couple of weeks ago to document the end of the college year, and I don't have it back yet. I promise to get pictures next time.

The snake was small, probably not more than about two feet. I think now it's smaller, maybe one foot each.

The guy with the pig said he was either going to keep it and fatten it up and eat it, or take it out in the woods and let it go.

Tom B has it jurt right, as usual - that ride was Florida in a nutshell.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I recall from my trips to the area, the shuttle pads were well off the beaten path, and unless you rode on one of the buses for a tour you wouldn't get within about 5 or 6 miles of the pad...

Is there a side road somewhere. As I recall even the observation area for launches is 3 miles away...
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of pigs, I had quite an experience a while back. I bought a bike from someone who lived out in the desert near Las Vegas. When I went to pick it up, I found his mobile home was surrounded by a chain-link fence with chickens running all over the place inside. The chicken coop was on the front porch. Well, once inside his mobile home, there were pot-bellied pigs making themselves comfortable on the sofa and chairs and just about everywhere else. Fortunately he kept the bike out in the back away from the critters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little D - The beach road runs from Titusville almost directly east. The road goes about 100 yards north of the north end of the shuttle landing strip (you can't see it due to the trees), and about two miles north of pad 39B at the beach. Pad 39A, which is the one presently in use, is about 4 miles south of the road. The beach is closed during launches, so the observation area about 3 miles from the pad is the closest place to watch it from. You can check out the layout of the roads on Mapquest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Shuttle is an impressive thing to see "up close". Lived in Houston, TX about 5 min from JSC. Was pitching a coach pitch game for the kids when they did a fly over loaded on a 747(?) on a return from landing in California. Lots of the kids parents worked at NASA. The real impressive thing was that after I called time out for the event, every kid on both teams ran up from the benchs to their respective base lines and stood at attention saluting the flyover until it passed. The kids were not prompted to do this by any adult!

Not sure how low they were but I'm guessing under 2000 ft. It was memorable.

My Bikes
    Still have a few left!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was a kid, my grandad had a young pig named "Sammy" that was very tame & followed us around like a dog. He was pretty smart & we played with him a lot while he was small but he grew up into a very large hog who could be ornery & dangerous to kids. We were told to stay away from his pen. One day he turned on gramps & that was the end. Sammy quickly became Ham, Chops & Bacon.
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollo_ollo View Post
    One day he turned on gramps & that was the end. Sammy quickly became Ham, Chops & Bacon.
    I trust you mean the end of Sammy, not Gramps.