Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Three interesting things from Saturday's ride (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/415025-three-interesting-things-saturdays-ride.html)

Kurt Erlenbach 05-05-08 08:47 PM

Three interesting things from Saturday's ride

1. The space shuttle Discovery rolled out Friday night, and by Saturday morning at 8:30 it was just making its way up to the pad. It was quite a sight.

2. I ran over a snake that slithered out in front of me.

3. I stopped at a convenience store for some water and Gatorade. A guy in a pickup dressed in camo with a four-wheeler in the back pulled up to the gas pumps and when he opened the door, a small pig jumped out. I heard him tell another guy that it was a baby wild pig he caught last week. He chased it around the parking lot, and then put out some food for it and caught it. He picked it up by the back legs, and it squealed like a, well, pig, and he put it back in the truck and he drove off.

Yen 05-05-08 08:54 PM

If ever there was a ride report that needs pictures, this is it! :lol:

Beverly 05-06-08 07:08 AM

Well, that was an interesting ride. I would have ended it after running over the snake:eek::eek::eek::D

TruF 05-06-08 08:59 AM

Yes, definitely a ride that warrants some visuals!

I inadvertantly ran over a small snake a couple of weeks ago. Made the mistake of looking directly at it as it tried to make its way across the MUP and it's true that you should never look directly at whatever you are trying to avoid. My front tire went exactly where I was looking. I'm not squeamish around snakes, I just felt really, really bad about running over it. My husband stopped to see how it was and said it kept on slithering. Did your snake survive, K?

Tom Bombadil 05-06-08 10:01 AM

You just summed up Florida in a 3-bullet report.

BSLeVan 05-06-08 10:29 AM

I wonder what he was gonna do with that pig?

Tom Bombadil 05-06-08 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 6645627)
I wonder what he was gonna do with that pig?

The funny part is that he is driving around with it, a week after capturing it.

dcvelo 05-06-08 10:38 AM

Try not to run over snakes....

BSLeVan 05-06-08 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil (Post 6645678)
The funny part is that he is driving around with it, a week after capturing it.

Yeah, I'm wondering if his dog died and he's trying out the pig as a replacement.

To the OP, if I had a ride like that, I think I'd turn right around, walk back into that store and see if they had any lottery tickets for sale. I mean the "Gods of the odds" were having fun that day (no offense intended to the monotheistic of us out there).

BengeBoy 05-06-08 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruF (Post 6645089)
Yes, definitely a ride that warrants some visuals!

Truly an amazing ride; definitely needs pictures.

This is what I was thinking while reading the OP:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerlenbach (Post 6642935)
1. The space shuttle Discovery rolled out Friday night, and by Saturday morning at 8:30 it was just making its way up to the pad. It was quite a sight.

http://i30.tinypic.com/2mhvqs4.jpg

Quote:

2. I ran over a snake that slithered out in front of me.

http://i26.tinypic.com/30wmejs.jpg

Quote:

3. I stopped at a convenience store for some water and Gatorade. A guy in a pickup dressed in camo with a four-wheeler in the back pulled up to the gas pumps and when he opened the door, a small pig jumped out. I heard him tell another guy that it was a baby wild pig he caught last week. He chased it around the parking lot, and then put out some food for it and caught it. He picked it up by the back legs, and it squealed like a, well, pig, and he put it back in the truck and he drove off.

http://i25.tinypic.com/axjzbq.jpg

Kurt Erlenbach 05-06-08 01:16 PM

Gave the camera to my children a couple of weeks ago to document the end of the college year, and I don't have it back yet. I promise to get pictures next time.

The snake was small, probably not more than about two feet. I think now it's smaller, maybe one foot each.

The guy with the pig said he was either going to keep it and fatten it up and eat it, or take it out in the woods and let it go.

Tom B has it jurt right, as usual - that ride was Florida in a nutshell.

Little Darwin 05-06-08 01:39 PM

As I recall from my trips to the area, the shuttle pads were well off the beaten path, and unless you rode on one of the buses for a tour you wouldn't get within about 5 or 6 miles of the pad...

Is there a side road somewhere. As I recall even the observation area for launches is 3 miles away...

dck 05-06-08 01:42 PM

Speaking of pigs, I had quite an experience a while back. I bought a bike from someone who lived out in the desert near Las Vegas. When I went to pick it up, I found his mobile home was surrounded by a chain-link fence with chickens running all over the place inside. The chicken coop was on the front porch. Well, once inside his mobile home, there were pot-bellied pigs making themselves comfortable on the sofa and chairs and just about everywhere else. Fortunately he kept the bike out in the back away from the critters.

Kurt Erlenbach 05-06-08 09:02 PM

Little D - The beach road runs from Titusville almost directly east. The road goes about 100 yards north of the north end of the shuttle landing strip (you can't see it due to the trees), and about two miles north of pad 39B at the beach. Pad 39A, which is the one presently in use, is about 4 miles south of the road. The beach is closed during launches, so the observation area about 3 miles from the pad is the closest place to watch it from. You can check out the layout of the roads on Mapquest.

oilman_15106 05-06-08 10:48 PM

The Shuttle is an impressive thing to see "up close". Lived in Houston, TX about 5 min from JSC. Was pitching a coach pitch game for the kids when they did a fly over loaded on a 747(?) on a return from landing in California. Lots of the kids parents worked at NASA. The real impressive thing was that after I called time out for the event, every kid on both teams ran up from the benchs to their respective base lines and stood at attention saluting the flyover until it passed. The kids were not prompted to do this by any adult!

Not sure how low they were but I'm guessing under 2000 ft. It was memorable.

ollo_ollo 05-07-08 09:47 AM

When I was a kid, my grandad had a young pig named "Sammy" that was very tame & followed us around like a dog. He was pretty smart & we played with him a lot while he was small but he grew up into a very large hog who could be ornery & dangerous to kids. We were told to stay away from his pen. One day he turned on gramps & that was the end. Sammy quickly became Ham, Chops & Bacon.

Kurt Erlenbach 05-07-08 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo (Post 6651873)
One day he turned on gramps & that was the end. Sammy quickly became Ham, Chops & Bacon.

I trust you mean the end of Sammy, not Gramps.