Thread: Top speed

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top speed

I didn't work today, had an eye appointment & dentist appointment so when I was done I decided to go do a hill climb since it sounds like I'll be doing that Weds evening & this next weekend.

I did this same trip a month ago but it was so windy I had to pedal downhill just to get some type of speed. Well tonight there was no wind & I didn't have to worry about going fast.

OMG Carter Lake on the north end is scary steep & at the bottom there is a curve, which I wasn't to worried about but when I got closer I noticed some gravel.

I had looked to make sure there was no one coming so if I needed I could go into the other lane, which ended up being a good thing. Made it thru the curve without any trouble, since I was using my brake a little closer to the turn then I wanted to I did get a little shimmy in the bike.

After I got thru the turn & up the little hill to the next road I looked to see what my max speed was. The fastest I've done before tonight was 41 mph but I finally broke 50 with 52.4 mph!!!!

I do remember thinking to myself coming down the hill; self if you crash at these speeds it is REALLY going to hurt. I know this old man won't heal like he used to.

Anyway had a good time & yes I'll probably do it again.

2007 Specialized Roubaix

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    I didn't work today, had an eye appointment & dentist appointment so when I was done I decided to go do a hill climb since it sounds like I'll be doing that Weds evening & this next weekend.

I did this same trip a month ago but it was so windy I had to pedal downhill just to get some type of speed. Well tonight there was no wind & I didn't have to worry about going fast.

OMG Carter Lake on the north end is scary steep & at the bottom there is a curve, which I wasn't to worried about but when I got closer I noticed some gravel.

I had looked to make sure there was no one coming so if I needed I could go into the other lane, which ended up being a good thing. Made it thru the curve without any trouble, since I was using my brake a little closer to the turn then I wanted to I did get a little shimmy in the bike.

After I got thru the turn & up the little hill to the next road I looked to see what my max speed was. The fastest I've done before tonight was 41 mph but I finally broke 50 with 52.4 mph!!!!

I do remember thinking to myself coming down the hill; self if you crash at these speeds it is REALLY going to hurt. I know this old man won't heal like he used to.

Anyway had a good time & yes I'll probably do it again.

Only if you live to tell about it!
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on ya! I did 48.6 on one of the longest hills around here. I figure that out in your neck of the woods 55 is a given. See you in August!
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Only if you live to tell about it!
    Actually, after thinking about it a while longer... I was doing 34 down a hill yesterday so 50 probably doesn't feel THAT much faster than that..... does it?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hit over 50mph a couple of times. Scary stuff. Too many things can go wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Actually, after thinking about it a while longer... I was doing 34 down a hill yesterday so 50 probably doesn't feel THAT much faster than that..... does it?
    To me it felt MUCH faster.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post

OMG

Is it legal to say OMG on the 50+ forum?
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    OMHP is politically correct nowadays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post

Every bit as legal as using fluorescent text font colours!

I haven't approached anywhere near these speeds yet. This thread makes me want to chuck the bike in the back of the truck and go find a REALLY big hill!

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little over 30mph has been my top speed and I though that was scary.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I hit over 50mph a couple of times. Scary stuff. Too many things can go wrong.
    ++++++1

On the Michigan trip last year we were coming down a hill and I was approaching 40mph when I got hit by a gusty crosswind The bike seemed to skip across the road a little and I hit the brakes. I like my skin and bones too much to take unnecessary chances anymore.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Fixie(1986 Gitane), 3Rensho campy(1982), Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 720(trainer), Trek 530(cross)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fastest I've ever done (at least I'm aware of) is 42. Yes, there is a huge difference between 40 and 35. The wind drag is incredible. I can imagine what 50 is like! - Now I have to try it.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Road Bike & Gary Fisher Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fastest I have been is 54mph. It was in the pyrenees mountains in Spain on the longest straightest descent you can imagine. It was quite fun on a loaded tourer cruising down at speed with 3 of my friends.

It was actually pretty safe because the road was perfect - in normal riding I don't get to go anywhere near this fast.
    www.cyclepig.com - discover the world on two wheels

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got over 50 several times. Last year I got a real eye opener. My son and I were finishing up a ride in Western PA were we have a cabin along the Allegheny River. The hill leading back down the valley is long and steep allowing for the 50+ speeds. On this day the sun was out and the trees were casting shadows on the road in patches. Both of us were in the drops and keeping as low and areo as possible when we hit a 2" deep area were the top layer of asphalt was missing. I thought for sure I would get a "pinch flat" at 50 mph and was relieved that the bike stayed straight. We both ended the ride thankful the pothole did not take any toll on our skin. A couple days later when I was unloading the bike, at home,I made the discovery that I broke the handle bar! There was a "smile" in the aluminum bar next to the stem and the bar was bent out of shape. I will still attempt to hit 50, or even my age at 55, but will be a little more careful and look down the hill while staying as areo as......

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I routinely hit 43-45 mph not far from my home but never 50. Full speed ahead with the afterburners at full throttle!!! Lp

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately, I haven't found any hills that steep in my area. I've hit 46.9 once. Hills that steep have to be climbed too! (and I realllllly need to work on my hill climbing ability... amongst other things).

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I hit 37.5 mph last week in the final sign sprint. Earlier in the same ride, I'd hit 40.0 on a mid-ride sprint, and didn't have enough left for the last one. Both sprints were on flat ground with no significant wind.
    Last edited by BlazingPedals; 05-06-08 at 02:53 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    Fortunately, I haven't found any hills that steep in my area. I've hit 46.9 once. Hills that steep have to be climbed too! (and I realllllly need to work on my hill climbing ability... amongst other things).
    Have a chat with jppe- TKT or Yen- They find hills to climb. Its the flat bits that worry them.

But Highest speed so far was 53.8mph---Offroad---On the Tandem. Still trying to get the Road bikes over 51mph- but I have to get rid of the square hole in the saddle before I try it again. That Tandem is stable at speed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I concur. This is one reason I do not bother with any gears above the mid-to-high 90s -- I can spin a 96 gear-incher to just over 32mph / 50kph, and that is fast enough for my tastes. I am much more interested in maximizing my uphill speed, which has a much bigger (and safer) impact on my total travel time over a given route.

Don't forget that kinetic energy, and therefore the likelihood of serious injury, increase with the square of speed, which makes riding at 70kph twice as dangerous as riding at 50kph.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My top speed was right at 60 mph dropping down off Point Dume road in the Santa Monica mountains, back in 1978.

50 mph is pretty much as fast as I go anymore. Tucking and getting as aero as possible is a big help (knees against the top tube, hands right next to the stem, chin v.close to the stem, elbows in as much as possible)!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Bianchi Road Bike & Gary Fisher Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After following this thread I have gotten curious as to what is the record speed a cyclist has done.
    Check this link out - http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/oddball...&in_page_id=46

How does 130mph sound? Although I wouldn't be surprised if this guy is dead by now. Absolutely CRAZY!
    www.cyclepig.com - discover the world on two wheels

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in your camp. As a teenager, I topped 50 a couple of times and thought it was a blast.

Since coming back to biking about 20 months ago, the fastest I've gone is 29 and that was too fast for me. I was going down an 8% grade at that speed, got uncomfortable, and started using my brakes to get it back down to 26-27.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like fast. I like roller coasters, motorcycles, fast downhill bike rides, etc. Fast it good.

With that said, stupid fast is not good. I've given up motorcycles (at least until all the kids have completed college... wife says if I want to kill myself, wait until their education is done), and I only let fly on downhills that I've just ridden up and seen the danger spots. Also, I never, ever take the first ride on a coaster for any given day. Because, while I like fast, I dislike pain even more.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I'm in your camp. As a teenager, I topped 50 a couple of times and thought it was a blast.

Since coming back to biking about 20 months ago, the fastest I've gone is 29 and that was too fast for me. I was going down an 8% grade at that speed, got uncomfortable, and started using my brakes to get it back down to 26-27.
    As a teenager I crashed at better than 40................I assume that a great deal of luck was involved because in 59 we hadn't even heard of helmets. I think, (based on the scars because I was out cold after the first bounce and never really remembered what happened) that it was sort of a high speed laydown. For some things, Levi's may be better than Lycra.

I still go fast though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit a bit of smooth newer pavement last weekend, fairly flat, hit 25 mph for about 2 miles. Much more thrilling to me. Add there was a slight tail wind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast