Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticker Shock

After reading the recent Speedplay threads, I was convinced to buy one or another of the mid-to-higher-end road pedals. And then I saw the prices.

Yow!

I can be very creative at justifying nearly any bicycle-related purchase, and I'm not knocking the product, but I'm just in shock. I mean you could buy an awful lot of beer for the price two shoes and two pedals. Come to think of it, I bought a nice Italian-made road bike frame on Ebay for similar coin last year. Guess I'll just stick with the ol' SPD pedals and cheap mountain bike shoes I've been rolling with for the past five years or so. Besides, I reckon no shoes or pedals on earth would lift me from my status as a charter member of Team Dead Last.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High end shoes and pedals are outrageously priced. Perhaps PT Barnum was right.

should know better
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Quantum, all DA'd out; 80's Japanese Summit Comp Pro TR--the dark and wet bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, recoil in horror at high end pedal and shoe prices, but I reached a point where I just couldn't hang with MTB shoes and SPD's any more. I'm running Nashbar Look knockoff pedals (<$50/pair) and Nike and Cannondale low to midrange shoes, also <$50/pair, bought from Craiglist (Nikes) and Nashbar using a 20% discount on top of an already discounted price. Way better than the MTB/SPD combo. Dunno why there aren't any Speedplay knockoffs--maybe they've got better lawyers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    After reading the recent Speedplay threads, I was convinced to buy one or another of the mid-to-higher-end road pedals. And then I saw the prices.

Yow!

I can be very creative at justifying nearly any bicycle-related purchase, and I'm not knocking the product, but I'm just in shock. I mean you could buy an awful lot of beer for the price two shoes and two pedals. Come to think of it, I bought a nice Italian-made road bike frame on Ebay for similar coin last year. Guess I'll just stick with the ol' SPD pedals and cheap mountain bike shoes I've been rolling with for the past five years or so. Besides, I reckon no shoes or pedals on earth would lift me from my status as a charter member of Team Dead Last.
    I thought you could only rent beer!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    ...mid-to-higher-end...
    There's the problem.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    I thought you could only rent beer!

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not about to give up my SPD's. That would mean I couldn't wear those great cycling sandals all summer
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everything is getting sky high. I went over some of the receipts I saved from the things I bought and I was at shock myself. I just threw them away last night, but I am going to watch my spending from now on. I think if more people start doing, that the prices will start going down. Or I would like to think they would, anyway.
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Fixie(1986 Gitane), 3Rensho campy(1982), Rivendell Atlantis, Trek 720(trainer), Trek 530(cross)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's wrong with SPD's? I think they are a great pedal. Besides, you can walk around without looking like you're wearing high heals.

My Bikes
    Scattante R670
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jet, my suggestion is to buy used. The pedals are next to indestructable so let the original buyer take the hit. Then spend the extra money on higher end shoes.....or beer.

I love noodles.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwnt View Post
    Hey Jet, my suggestion is to buy used. The pedals are next to indestructable so let the original buyer take the hit. Then spend the extra money on higher end shoes.....or beer.
    I know such a person who has two pair of Shimano SPD-SL's gathering dust in the garage. PM me if you're interested.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.henri View Post
    What's wrong with SPD's? I think they are a great pedal. Besides, you can walk around without looking like you're wearing high heals.
    Maybe I like high heels.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Variety is the spice of life. Just because you choose one type of pedal for certain situations doesn't preclude choosing a different type for other situations. You don't have just one kind of bike for every possible cycling situation, do you? Why limit yourself to just one kind of pedal?

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use old fashion clips and any shoe I want to wear that day. If I were in a competitive event I could see spending the money but all I'm doing is riding a bike for fun and exercise. My current shoes are a pair of tennis shoes I found on clearance for $4.50 and they work fine, both on and off the bike.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

My Bikes
    Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to that. I don't take the cycling seriously enough to warrant anything more than my skateboard shoes. Well padded and flat.

torgrot

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's the war tax. We've been putting the cost of the Iraq war on the credit card. When you do that it takes awhile but eventually you have to pay the piper. In this case the dollar exchange rate has gone down the tube and, since most bicycle parts are imported, the price has shot up.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    You don't have just one kind of bike for every possible cycling situation, do you?
    As a matter of fact, yes I do. At least every possible cycling situation that I am personally likely to encounter....
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my pedals on eBay. $80.00 with free shipping for new SPD 6620 Ultegra pedals,$125.00 for a pair of new Specialized Pro Carbon shoes. No complaints here. Lp

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    As a matter of fact, yes I do. At least every possible cycling situation that I am personally likely to encounter....
    Nothing wrong with that, if that keeps you satisfied, though you are building up quite an N+1 deficit.
    Myself, I enjoy the variation of using different bikes and accessories for different situations. Not that there is only one type for each situation, there is plenty of overlap. But I do like variety.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was nearly into the realms of buying different shoes and pedals for the road bike a couple of weeks ago. I do get a good deal from my LBS- but the price made me think again. I still do a bit of offroad so SPD's are the rule there. Have the road bikes set up with A520 road pedals for SPD's but according to some- I ought to be getting proper road shoes and pedals. I would have got the pedals at a sensible price and the shop did find me a top rate pair of shoes in my size that they were prepared to almost give away. Tried on the shoes- and I could not walk in them and that was before the cleats went on. I am not one of those riders that get on the bike- do a quick 100 miles and go home- I need PIE and coffee- I need a comfort break and I do enjoy taking a rest and walking about every now and then.

In hind sight I should have taken the shop up on their offer of the shoes and pedals. They were cheap- but how good is cheap when they would cause me other problems. Would falling in clipless shoes without the bike Count as an entry in Club Tombay.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Would falling in clipless shoes without the bike Count as an entry in Club Tombay.
    I doubt it. They seem to have pretty strict standards.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle magazine suggested that you save money on pedals and buy a good set of shoes. I mean, how much better a rider would we be if we spent $450 on Unobtainium Speedplays? One the other hand, I can tell a big difference in comfort with my (gift certificate) Sidi's.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stap, no offense, but you are still pretty much a noob as a road rider. It would take a week or less to master the fine art of walking in road shoes and cleats. I'm not saying you would want to take a stroll around the block or through the mall, but the short walk to the table for pie and coffee would quickly become a non-issue. Just get it over with. Get the shoes and pedals and some cleat covers and get on with your life. Anyone who can stoke an offroad tandem, ride an offroad century and climb Mont Ventoux can manage to learn to walk in road cycling shoes.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Bicycle magazine suggested that you save money on pedals and buy a good set of shoes. I mean, how much better a rider would we be if we spent $450 on Unobtainium Speedplays? One the other hand, I can tell a big difference in comfort with my (gift certificate) Sidi's.
    +1

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still using my Niki road shoes I bought in 1997 off the clearance rack from Performance for about $25. Still using the same speed play X2 pedals - had to replace the cleats once as they wore out. Also on my second pair of laces. I view the investment well worth it and would never go back to conventional pedals. The difference you get is worth it even for the recreational rider.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast