Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Rhubarb pie (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/415315-rhubarb-pie.html)

DougG 05-06-08 06:21 PM

Rhubarb pie

How good is my rhubarb pie? Well, my wife doesn't like sweets much -- especially not pie (go figger!) -- but today on her birthday she asked me to make a rhubarb pie to have for her celebration instead of cake. So some of the rhubarb that was in our garden this morning was in the pie that we just ate tonight with vanilla ice cream on the side. Yum! Wish you all could have been here (actually not, since there's a few pieces left over for me).

Anyone else a fan of rhubarb pie? I think it's more of a northern treat since it only grows in the cold weather and quits by late May or June. Also more of a grow-your-own thing than something you'll find at a market.

Oh yeah -- I did a 20-mile ride this morning, so the pie was earned.

MTBLover 05-06-08 06:25 PM

Rhubarb pie is awesome- so is rhubarb and strawberry pie, as well as plain stewed rhubarb (stewed with lemon and cloves, and of course, plenty of sugar). Vanilla ice cream is what makes it all work- sounds like you had a fabulous day- 20 miles and rhubarb pie to boot, not to mention your wife's B-day!

BTW- here in Philly, we can get rhubarb almost year round at the Reading Terminal Market. Thank goodness!

Boudicca 05-06-08 06:27 PM

Rhubarb pie can only be bettered by rhubarb and strawberry pie, which adds a delicious sweetness to the tartness of the rhubarb.

In fact there's a pie place somewhere near Glacier National Park which has what is possibly the best rhubarb-strawberry pie in the whole world, unless, of course, my taste buds were colored by the fact that I had just made it over the Rockies via the stunningly beautiful Going to the Sun highway. An exhausting ride on the way up, with a few half-hearted snow flakes to liven things up a little, and perhaps the coldest I've ever been on the way down.

RoMad 05-06-08 06:40 PM

It brings back fond childhood memories. We lived in an old farmhouse in Indiana and had a rhubarb patch out by the garden. My mother made the best ever rhubarb pie. Living in Florida you don't see it, so please eat a piece for me.

Louis 05-06-08 07:17 PM

I remember, as a kid growing up in the country, pulling rhubarb out of the ground and eating it...dirt and all.

But, rhubarb pie? It's too sweet for my taste.

Floyd 05-06-08 07:22 PM

rhubarb pie is number one

Grampy™ 05-06-08 07:30 PM

I have to second the Rhubarb/Strawberry..... but in a pinch Rhubarb will certainly do!

Louis 05-06-08 07:32 PM

I could make an exception if it's genuine Beebopareebop Rhubarb Pie.:p

Tom Bombadil 05-06-08 09:39 PM

I grew up eating my grandmother's rhubarb cobbler, eaten in a bowl with milk and sugar on it.

I still love rhubarb pie. We also have a small patch of rhubarb in our back yard.

But I have to sing a different note about combining strawberries with rhubarb, I think that ruins a rhubarb pie. Can't even eat it when there are strawberries in it.

I like rhubard stewed too.

BSLeVan 05-07-08 06:53 AM

It is on the top of my list for pie. I'm also fortunate that no one in my house likes it but me, and I have relatives that don't live in my house who bake rhubarb pies just for me. They feel sorry for me. Life can be good. You're wife has good taste.

DougG 05-07-08 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by BSLeVan (Post 6650824)
I have relatives that don't live in my house who bake rhubarb pies just for me. They feel sorry for me.

My wife's grandmother used to feel sorry for me since my wife never bakes pies. Her husband had worked in the copper mines in Michigan's upper peninsula and she used to bake him a pie every day. So whenever she knew I was coming over, she would bake me one. And these were pies with handmade, flaky lard or Crisco-based crusts (artery-clogging good!). She lived to be 100, but I still miss those pies!

rck 05-07-08 09:08 AM

Good rhubarb is an oxymoron.

Timtruro 05-07-08 11:22 AM

Anyone else a fan of rhubarb pie?

I love strawberry rhubarb, and it keeps you regular..............

stapfam 05-07-08 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Timtruro (Post 6652501)
Anyone else a fan of rhubarb pie?

I love strawberry rhubarb, and it keeps you regular..............

PIE is not prevalent round here but Rhubarb Crumble----But it has to be with Custard.

Timtruro 05-07-08 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rck (Post 6651616)
Good rhubarb is an oxymoron.

I disagree, it is redundant.

Beverly 05-07-08 11:28 AM

At the end of the riding season our Tuesday night ride leader invites everyone to his house for homemade pie and ice cream. One of the pies his wife always makes is strawberry/rhubarb:) I love it!

Timtruro 05-07-08 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 6652526)
PIE is not prevalent round here but Rhubarb Crumble----But it has to be with Custard.

Now that looks mouth watering stepfam!

Rick@OCRR 05-07-08 11:50 AM

Rhubarb is the best, but their marketing people have really been slacking lately. You just don't see it in the media like you used to.

Wait, . . . I guess you never really did see it in the media. But when I was young, old people used to talk about it. Now that I'm old, I talk about it . . . and order Rhubarb pie at Marie Callander's.

My wife can't (won't) eat Rhubarb either.

Rick / OCRR

JanMM 05-07-08 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MTBLover (Post 6648243)
Rhubarb pie is awesome- so is rhubarb and strawberry pie,

Now, that's a hell of a thing to do to strawberry pie.

Remember, rhubarb leaves are toxic; if you eat a bushel, you might get sick.

rae 05-07-08 01:22 PM

Love rhubarb! One time I cooked some (with strawberries) for dessert--the first time my 5 year old ever had it--after one bite she said "MOM! You should sell this!" I guess she inherited natural good taste;).

Floyd 05-07-08 01:28 PM

She's got good taste cause she knows what tastes good.
Strawberry / Rhubarb
plain rhubarb
it is all good....

Cone Wrench 05-07-08 01:31 PM

Yes for strawberry/rhubarb.

Iowegian 05-07-08 02:24 PM

My 11 year old son made us all rhubarb cobbler this last weekend. He's a real picky eater but I guess he knows what's good.

staehpj1 05-07-08 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grampy™ (Post 6648631)
I have to second the Rhubarb/Strawberry..... but in a pinch Rhubarb will certainly do!

I grew up on rhubarb pie, rhubarb sauce, and rhubarb preserves. Rhubarb pie is great.

To me strawberry/rhubarb pie is a waste of good strawberries and good rhubarb. The combination of the two isn't as good as either alone IMO. While on a TransAmerica tour we had apple/rhubarb pie in Dillon Montana and it was surprisingly good. I expected it to be inferior to straight rhubarb, but it was very good. Then again we were VERY hungry, so that could be a factor.

Boudicca 05-07-08 02:30 PM

What about going a little more exotic?

Rhubarb and ginger. Chop up some crystalized ginger, or add a few slices of root ginger to the rhubarb.

Very yum.