User Tag List

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Father & Son ride

My younger son just returned from his teaching job in Istanbul and we took a ride today, down to Chagrin Falls via River Rd (Rt 174). Next week, he's gone again, backpacking with a friend out west. He's one of those that just doesn't stay in one place for too long. Just the opposite of his older brother whose nose is to the grindstone.

Anyway, here we are, taking a coffee break in downtown Willoughby, Ohio, celebrating a gorgeous spring day. Thought I'd share with my fellow 50+ers.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a couple of handsome dudes! Chip off the old block. Sounds like you're proud of both your sons.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "a father is a person you look up to, no matter how tall you grow"

I like this quote, sounds like you might be a tall father.

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I envy you. I would love to ride with my son. Even if it was only the length of the flight deck aboard the Nimitz. I hope he will get the chance to ride with his son when he gets home from this deployment.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. I would love to ride with my son, but he's into other things. Maybe some day....

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus, Novara Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a very enjoyable ride.

My youngest son and I have usually done Bike The Drive in Chicago during the last few years. He called last night to say he may have an internship at his college and would remain at school until the end of July. It's a good opportunity for him, but I'll miss his company on the ride.

BTW, who does your son teach for in Istanbul?

Al
    "Age before beauty, strength over time, down in a blaze of glory, the fountain of youth is a state of mind..." J. Peterik

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am forturnate that both of my son's began riding bikes after swimming in college. The older is a tri-guy and the younger is a road racer. At times both will ride with me and those are really special days. This past Sunday the three of us did a 35 mile ride where we pushed the hills then rode easy on the flats, that provided a good oppurtunity to "bust" on each other in between the hills. Last night at the end a fast group ride, at the top of the last long hill, I was having trouble holding the pace of the group and just began to drift off the back. Suddenly I felt a hand on my lower back and I got a little push from my son that brought be back into the draft and I was able to complete the ride with what was left of the group. That was a "special moment"!

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much better than spending time with your sons, I have two, and relish every minute I get with them. They are both busy so I don't get to see them much, but we talk 2-3 times a week. That picture makes me very jealous. You guys look like you are really enjoying yourselves..........
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One picture is worth 1000 words. Nice report.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My oldest son (30) just contacted me about wanting to do a 3-Generation RAGBRAI in 2009. Not sure if his son will be on the back of a tandem or Trail-A-Bike or single bike. Should be fun though.

This weekend I'm riding GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) with the younger son (26). He's in the Navy, a computer intel guy on the U.S.S. Ronald Regan. Lucky for me, San Diego is only about 120 miles away!

Neither one of my sons are as hard-core a cyclist as I am, but at least they ride.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, to TruF:

ajk03, he taught English as a Foreign Language (TEFL program) at Aydin Universitesi and had a tough time: first year teacher, many unwilling learners, etc.

Thanks all for sharing.