Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-08, 05:18 AM   #1
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tuesday Ride

Got out last night right after work. It was starting to get windy, with some clouds rolling in, and I thought that I might be in for some nasty weather, but I really have to get out and ride. By the time I got to my training route, it had cleared up somewhat. Still had those nasty winds, though. I hate wind. I would rather do hills than wind. Anyway, my usual route starts off on a MUP for about 1/4 mile, then it's off to the road. As soon as I got on the road, I was passing through some very large farm fields. Unfortunately, they had just been fertilized. The stink was impressive! Got through that, and onto a nice road used by many riders. The drivers in that area are used to us, and they give us lots of room, so it's a nice, pleasant, safe place to ride. I was pleased to note that the strawberry fields that I pass have been planted, so in another month, the aroma will be great! Did my usual 22 mile roundtrip. This is only my second ride this year (it's been a problem getting motivated), but it seems that I didn't lose too much from last year. The route has some rollers, a couple small hills and two false flats. I was able to stay in the big ring for the entire ride, something I was unable to do last year. It kinda surprised me. The last four miles was straight into a headwind, judging by the flags I passed, I'd guess 10-15 mph headwind. I hate wind. Did the whole thing in a respectable (for me) 15.5 mph. Something to build on.

Did I mention I HATE wind?? (Yeah, I know there was a thread about this...but I really hate wind!)
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 08:57 AM   #2
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is that Pan MA Challenge 192 mi. in one day? If so, congratulations! Add 8 miles onto the end and you've got a double!

However . . . you'd better start making your training rides a lot longer than 22 mi!

Wind is good, it helps us become stronger and encourages us to be more aerodynamic. But yeah, I hate it too!

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:36 AM   #3
BSLeVan

Bikes:
MMMMmmmmmm. strawberry fields.
BSLeVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 12:34 PM   #4
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
Is that Pan MA Challenge 192 mi. in one day? If so, congratulations! Add 8 miles onto the end and you've got a double!

However . . . you'd better start making your training rides a lot longer than 22 mi!

Wind is good, it helps us become stronger and encourages us to be more aerodynamic. But yeah, I hate it too!

Rick / OCRR
Yikes!! One day?? Nope... 112 miles the first day, and 80 the second. The first day is pretty hilly, most of the first 40 miles is uphill. Did it last year after doing about 1400 miles training.

Motivation problems this year. Just got back on the bike after a long layoff due to a neck injury.

My usual nightly ride is 22 miles. I do anywhere from 50-75 miles on Saturdays followed by a real easy 30-miler on Sunday. It worked out well for me last year, so I'm planning on duplicating it again this year.
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote