Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baking my Salsa Casseroll

Thought I'd start a separate thread to show off the progress on my Casseroll build.

So far it has been fairly easy, if a little nervous-making from time to time. Books and instructions are somewhat helpful, but still tend to be a little inscrutable if you have no idea what the whosits and whatsis are. This has mainly been a problem on the headset and the bottom bracket/crank installations, since I've never done either. Still, all I really had to do was sit and study on the item for a little bit before holding my breath and jumping in. So far so good. In rough order, starting from the bare frame and fork, this is where I am:

Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-08-08 at 01:01 PM.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the ingredients:

Cane Creek S3 headset (new)
    Tektro long reach brakes (new)
    Shimano 105 crank and BB (used; good condition)
    Ultegra rear derailleur (new)
    105 front derailleur (new)
    105 brifter (used; excellent condition)
    Nitto moustache bar (used; good condition)
    Brooks saddle (from my xtracycle)
    Generic rear rack (old, from my old commuter)
    Alexrims 450 race wheels (from my Felt--I'll switch them out until I can afford a separate set for the Salsa)
    28 mm tires
    campus pedals w/spd cleats (since I'll be using it for most of my in-town commuting with regular shoes, but want to be able to clip in on long rides)

My goal is to ultimately have all silver components for a nice, old school look...

I have to go now...I really should be grading final exams...
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-08-08 at 01:00 PM.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A spicy dish indeed.
    Just take it

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, it's really coming along. Thanks much for posting the progress and pics. I think lots of folks here would like to tackle a build.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the color.

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely frame! I would love to take that frame and build it up as a single speed (not fixed), fenders and all. Love those nice long dropouts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Wow, it's really coming along. Thanks much for posting the progress and pics. I think lots of folks here would like to tackle a build.
    So far, I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is. As I said, the instructions are a little hard to understand, but if you just sit and look at the part for a little while, it starts to make sense.

I took a bike maintenance course a couple of years ago, and that really helped build my confidence. The instructor was really good, and showed us how to take a bike completely apart and put it back together. It turns out that a bicycle is an elegantly simple machine. Who knew?

My DH gave me a bike toolkit from Nashbar after I took the course, and now I'm finally getting to use some of those "odd" tools that came with it...

I wanted to build a bike from scratch so that I would understand it, you know? I love to tinker and learn new things, and this seemed like a good thing to try.

Also, I've been keeping track of my expenditures, and by mixing used and new parts, I think I'm eventually going to save ~$500 off MSRP (not counting wheels).
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-08-08 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnH View Post
    I like the color.
    The pictures don't do the color justice (the one that shows the bottom bracket comes closest). I was surprised at how pretty and luminous it is. It is slightly more metallic than it looks here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    Lovely frame! I would love to take that frame and build it up as a single speed (not fixed), fenders and all. Love those nice long dropouts.
    I live where there's a lot of wind, so SS has absolutely no appeal for me.

I have been thinking about taking my DH's bike and turning it into a SS, however, since he never uses his gears.

The Cassreroll is supposed to be a good frame for SS.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice build you have going there. Makes me want to start one. I'll have to settle for another conversion/reconfiguration project which I will start very soon.

I often refer to the Parks Tool website to make sure I understand what I'm about to do. Even for things I've done dozens of times, it helps.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader 780-R; Rockhopper FSR;Trek 660; Kona Blast Hardtail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice frame. If I hadn;t just built up a road bike and reached my quota (for now) I'd love to build a multi-purpose/commuter triple on a casserol frame. The Ginger Beer Gold color is hard to resist with the white banding here and there.

Well, let us know how it rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you're really doing it up right. I applaud your use of silver components for the old school look, perfect for that frame.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful! The color is very elegant... I'd call it champagne. I've always enjoyed assembling things; even as a little girl I put those model cars together. I bet I'd love building up a bike.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, this is where I am so far:

I got tired of waiting for some of the components, so I cannibalized parts from my racing bike. I got almost all the way through the build when I realized that I didn't have any cable stops for the derailleur cables. In fact, I didn't even know what they were called, or how they were attached.A little shout out to the bike maintenance and commuter forums solved that mystery. I've ordered the parts, and in the meantime, I cobbled up some homemade stops. (Don't laugh!)

And here is a closeup of the moustache bars, which I think I'm going to enjoy:

I put in 18 test miles today and I can already report that this is the sweetest bike I've ever owned. I told my DH I may never ride the Felt again. I love this bike.

I'm still waiting on the silver stem and seat post, and the permanent front derailleur. Once the summer training season is over, I'll add silver SKS 35mm fenders and a rear rack. Oh, and I'm running 25mm Gatorskins.

I. Love. This. Bike.

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I love this bike.
    You should! Great job!

Since you're thinking of fenders, have you thought of these? Might be pretty hot w/that champagne paint you have.

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    You should! Great job!

Since you're thinking of fenders, have you thought of these? Might be pretty hot w/that champagne paint you have.

http://www.woodysfenders.com/store/

Yes, I have--I think they might be in my future! I need to recover from building the bike first, however.

I can appreciate beautiful wood--here is what I make in that shop you see in the background:

Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-13-08 at 09:00 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it! Nice choice of red tape.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job, PrairieDog! Beautiful bike. Can you please tell me the name of the bike repair stand in the photos? We are shopping for one right now, and yours looks solid.

Thanks!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I really like the look of the moustache bars. Why'd you choose them -- comfort? something different? How do they feel compared to traditional road bars.... closer reach, more comfortable... just different?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Great job, PrairieDog! Beautiful bike. Can you please tell me the name of the bike repair stand in the photos? We are shopping for one right now, and yours looks solid.

Thanks!
    It's a Minoura RS 4000. I've been pretty pleased with it. I have definitely been pleased with having a repair stand--so much better than trying to work on a bike without one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    By the way, I really like the look of the moustache bars. Why'd you choose them -- comfort? something different? How do they feel compared to traditional road bars.... closer reach, more comfortable... just different?
    Hi Yen--

I wanted something with more hand positions than flat bars, but more upright than drop. They feel very different, and have taken a little getting used to, but I think I love them, very much.

It has also taken a little tweaking to get the position just right. I used an adjustable stem until I found the angle I liked, then ordered a permanent stem. I've found that it needs to be higher and closer than drop bars, but for riding around town (which is what I want to use this bike for), it is terrific.

I found that if I move the hoods/brifters in closer together, I can place my hands on them almost like I'm riding on the hoods on drops. On drop bars, I hardly ever go down into the drops, because I'm just not that flexible anymore, but with the mustache bars, I can put my hands comfortably on the outside, straight part, and it is just enough of a drop that it improves the aerodynamics when I need it (it's very windy where I live). The only thing I miss is the straight part of the drops, but I find that the way my hoods are positioned on the mustache bars, I am rapidly getting used to it.

This is turning out to be the best bike I think I've ever owned--it is both comfortable and nimble.
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-15-08 at 04:07 PM.

bac
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE Salsas!

... Brad

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Susan great job. The Casseroll is absoutely stellar!! Can't wait to see the finished bike. Does the frame have any flex, nice soft ride or is stiff and agile? Nothing really compares to a well made steel frame. You must be proud. Lp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    Susan great job. The Casseroll is absoutely stellar!! Can't wait to see the finished bike. Does the frame have any flex, nice soft ride or is stiff and agile? Nothing really compares to a well made steel frame. You must be proud. Lp
    Thanks! I am close to having it all done--just one or two more items and I'll show off the final product.

I'm not sure how to describe the ride. I'm not that familiar with what "flex" feels like compared to "stiffness" in a frame. However, when I ride it, I am surprised at how..."buttery smooth" it feels on the pavement, and yet remarkably nimble. It also feels zippy and fast, but not twitchy, like my Felt. With the Felt, I always feel a little tense--it rides like a cat on roller skates, especially if there is any gravel around. With the Salsa, I don't have the sense that it's about to skid out from under me.

It doesn't feel like a "comfort" bike--it isn't "soft" in that sense, but as I said, it is surprisingly smooth.

I think that where I might go 15 mph on the Felt, the Salsa would come in around 14 or so, but I feel fast on it, and it is definitely faster than my xtracycle.

As I was riding it yesterday, I was thinking that it is the first time I've ever felt like the bike was a part of me. Maybe it's the frame (I think that's a big part of it), or maybe it's because building it myself allowed me the opportunity to make it exactly what I wanted (probably part of it, too).

I haven't tried it on hills yet--I'll do that on Sunday.
    Last edited by PrairieDog; 05-15-08 at 07:07 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Hi Yen--

I wanted something with more hand positions than flat bars, but more upright than drop. They feel very different, and have taken a little getting used to, but I think I love them, very much.

It has also taken a little tweaking to get the position just right. I used an adjustable stem until I found the angle I liked, then ordered a permanent stem. I've found that it needs to be higher and closer than drop bars, but for riding around town (which is what I want to use this bike for), it is terrific.

I found that if I move the hoods/brifters in closer together, I can place my hands on them almost like I'm riding on the hoods on drops. On drop bars, I hardly ever go down into the drops, because I'm just not that flexible anymore, but with the mustache bars, I can put my hands comfortably on the outside, straight part, and it is just enough of a drop that it improves the aerodynamics when I need it (it's very windy where I live). The only thing I miss is the straight part of the drops, but I find that the way my hoods are positioned on the mustache bars, I am rapidly getting used to it.

This is turning out to be the best bike I think I've ever owned--it is both comfortable and nimble.
    Thanks for all the info. Those bars look extremely comfortable. I might switch the trekking bars on my hybrid for those... not that I don't like the trekking bars (I do) but I really like the look of those moustache bars.

I really admire your willingness to tackle something new like this.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast