Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Vented sunglasses (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/416043-vented-sunglasses.html)

rainycamp 05-08-08 01:34 PM

Vented sunglasses

I've been thinking about getting new cycling-specific sunglasses. Some models have little vents cut into the top of the lenses--I assume to minimize fogging? Does anyone have sunglasses with this feature? Is it effective? Should I care?

Floyd 05-08-08 01:54 PM

In Austin TX, would you have any trouble with fogging?? I am not the right one to give you an actual answer cause I buy the 'el-cheepo' shades.

bobbycorno 05-08-08 02:10 PM

I've got Rudy Project Kerosenes with vented lenses. I do a fair amount of riding in cool damp weather, and they don't fog up as long as I keep moving, but that's true with just about any glasses.

SP

Jet Travis 05-08-08 02:10 PM

Well, after, yakking about sticker shock, I have a confession to make. My sunglasses are obscenely expensive, but to me they're worth it. Because I do a lot of photography, I'm nuts about good lenses. I also find most sunglasses to be very uncomfortable. I finally found a pair of very comfy shades with extraordinarily good polarized lenses, which do not fog up. They're made by a company called Maui Jim. I won't tell you the price (I've somehow erased that painful memory), but I would guess that Maui Jim is a very rich man. The shades are not cycling specific, but they work well on the bike.

stapfam 05-08-08 03:00 PM

I have Cycling specific glasses and Like Jet-- Mine were not in the cheap range. Have tried quite a few over the years- And I have settled on Rudy Project glasses. Don't know the specific model but never had any trouble with any of them till the wife sat on my "NEW" pair just 3 weeks after I got them and How could I tell her that they Cost a lot more than her I-Pod and mobile phone put together.

On the fogging- I have mates that always fog when going up hills at slow speed. I don't and I think it is in the fitting of the glasses. Rudy make each model in a variety of sizes and then there are different models for small or large heads. Then there are the actual lens's so you just pay the money and hope the wife does not find out.

aubinmg 05-08-08 03:18 PM

I got these about a month ago. They have vents and three set of lenses. Photochromic, grey and clear. I quite like them.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1210281367506

3dsteve 05-08-08 04:33 PM

look into the tofosi brand they are not very expensive and they have vents .

rdmjr 05-08-08 09:17 PM

I got a pair of sunglasses at Target for $19.99 that has vents in the top outer corners. They seem to work pretty well.
- Bob

SKYLAB 05-09-08 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainycamp (Post 6660289)
I've been thinking about getting new cycling-specific sunglasses. Some models have little vents cut into the top of the lenses--I assume to minimize fogging? Does anyone have sunglasses with this feature? Is it effective? Should I care?

I ride with Rudy Projects (onyx? can never recall) with a slight vent in each corner. I have some fogging issues in the winter XC skiing. If I stop after a long hard pull and my jacket is open to vent some heat they will indeed fog then. Riding? never had a problem.
Admittedly, you can get the same deal with much cheaper glasses (though beware of cheapo lenses, the don't protect the eyes nearly as well). I use the Rudy's because I can clip my prescription lens onto the inside of the frame.

one_beatnik 05-09-08 09:34 PM

I have the Tiffosis and love them. They have 3 lenses, grey, clear and amber. I use them on both my bike and the motorcycle. The service from the company is fantastic. I broke the clear lense, lost a nose piece and the temple pads wore out. I contacted the bike shop where I got them and Tiffos sent me all the new parts FOR FREE! The vents work well too. Nothing is perfect, but they clear much faster than those without the vents.

I think Nashbar has them for about $40 right now.

cyclezealot 05-09-08 09:41 PM

I have three pair of sunglasses. Two are pretty expensive. The third, are much cheaper and by Performance with vents. When its hot or clammy , I wear the vented glasses. I say, vents work at reducing foggy lenses. I almost prefer my cheapo sunglasses for that reason.

Yen 05-09-08 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdmjr (Post 6662901)
I got a pair of sunglasses at Target for $19.99 that has vents in the top outer corners. They seem to work pretty well.
- Bob

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3dsteve
look into the tofosi brand they are not very expensive and they have vents

I have both of the above and the lenses never fog up.

cyclezealot 05-09-08 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6668947)
I have both of the above and the lenses never fog up.

You are lucky. The worst is on a really drippy day with fog about. I've had to put my sunglasses low to my nose and look over them in order to see. They were so saturated with moisture. Much less so with the vented glasses.